Mid-Hudson Valley Extreme Caches

The Sound Guy

As a regular member who hasn't found many caches and none in a while, I am looking to start back up. This year I want to get more into the more advanced, not so casual, family friendly caches. My main question is who on this form is interested in doing some harder caching? As a non premium member I can't filter search for the 4/4, 4/5, and 5/5 caches I want to focus on finding. I am planning to hide at least one 4/5 or 5/5. I found the extreme caches website www.extreme-caches.com but there aren't any in the local (Mid-Hudson Valley, NY) area. I think its time to make this area a little more intense with some rough and wild caches. This area has some famous rock climbing arenas, awesome landscapes and would make some great hard cache hides. Please let me know if you know of any good existing ones or would like to go on some adventurous searches.

You might want to check out Ledge of Doom (GCVB70) in Minnewaska, although it is a little north of mid-Hudson.

Scan the bookmark lists on the side of the page for other similar caches, as well.

You don't need to filter searches in order to find caches of a specific difficulty/terrain combination if you are willing to do a little work. You can go to your profile page, on the right side is the 'search options' box, click to search for caches near your home location and you'll get a list. Then all you need to do is scan down the d/t column looking for the numbers you want. Works the same way for searching other areas, use the 'hide and seek a cache' option (under the menu for Play on top of the page)to enter coordinates or zip codes of other areas.

Hope that helps!

I would say Minnewaska is actually south of Mid Hudson - giving what is considered the Hudson Valley Region goes from the norther tip of Westchester to Albany the middle is almost around the Catskills.... There is plenty of good caches there....

One of my all time favorites: http://coord.info/GCPY3E . Expect to spend 9 hours with more than half of it off trail....