Loading geocache files from a tablet

When we travel, we have stopped carrying a laptop because tablets (iPad and Android) are much more convenient. However, this creates a problem when trying to load a file, such as a gpx.

On my Android tablet, a gpx file can be stored away in memory, but I haven't found a way to get that file into a Garmin Dakota or Montana. Anybody know how to do that?

When we travel, we have stopped carrying a laptop because tablets (iPad and Android) are much more convenient. However, this creates a problem when trying to load a file, such as a gpx.

On my Android tablet, a gpx file can be stored away in memory, but I haven't found a way to get that file into a Garmin Dakota or Montana. Anybody know how to do that?

At this point in time, AFAIK, you can't do that. Maybe someone will either write an app or modify an app to write out to the USB port. Can't hurt to ask on the Geosphere site if someone has thought of this.

Note: I just submitted a suggestion for this at the Geosphere site.

Edited by ngrrfan
...There are a couple of tablets that have full usb ports. They can be used to load the gpx fine onto a device.
Name one. Edited by Portland Cyclist

If your Android tablet has a micro SD card slot you should be able to load the *.gpx file from a PQ directly onto the card and then install it in the GPSr. On my Montana the file needs to be in a folder called GPX inside a folder called Garmin on the root of the card. I don't have an Android anymore, but if I put the gpx file there using a laptop the GPSr finds it without a problem.

If your Android tablet has a micro SD card slot you should be able to load the *.gpx file from a PQ directly onto the card and then install it in the GPSr. On my Montana the file needs to be in a folder called GPX inside a folder called Garmin on the root of the card. I don't have an Android anymore, but if I put the gpx file there using a laptop the GPSr finds it without a problem.

That is correct.I do i Montana wheni don't have my laptop handy. Locus pro is also good for looking at a of them that you log from.

...There are a couple of tablets that have full usb ports. They can be used to load the gpx fine onto a device.
Name one.

Yep. I have a Thrive, and it has a full-sized USB port. I can hook up to my Oregon, download PQ's to it and also upload my field notes to the website. The only thing it can't do that a laptop can is the Send to My GPS button.

Not really related to caching, the USB port also supports just about any other USB device you might want to attach to it. USB memory sticks, portable hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc...

The tablet I am using is an Acer Iconia. It has a full sized USB port. I can plug in a USB thumb drive and send files both ways using an Astro File Manager app. But when I plug the Dakota or Montana into the tablet USB port, the app doesn't see any files stored on the USB port and won't transfer any files to the port.

The suggested SD card method is probably possible, but a little awkward because of the SD card locations.

my pandigital planet sees my Montana as 2 moere drives the same as my laptop. that's internal memory and external microSD. right now this unit is $99 at Zellers here in Canada. it's available in many stores in the US as well for a similar price.

I have a Thrive, and it has a full-sized USB port ... also supports just about any other USB device you might want to attach to it. USB memory sticks, portable hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc...
That's a cool thing. I'm seriously considering replacing my laptop with a tablet and that one capability has been missing from several that I had been considering.
I have a Thrive, and it has a full-sized USB port ... also supports just about any other USB device you might want to attach to it. USB memory sticks, portable hard drives, keyboards, mice, etc...
That's a cool thing. I'm seriously considering replacing my laptop with a tablet and that one capability has been missing from several that I had been considering.

I have a friend who had the Thrive before me, and once I found that it worked with my Oregon, I was sold. It also has the only user-replaceable battery in the tablet market (that I'm aware of). It's not the latest and greatest, bleeding edge tablet out there, but it has all the features I want.