Maps

Ranger Roo

Am off to Australia next week and I am trying to work out a mapping solution for my GPS - I have a satmap and the only map I can find for trails is a 1 in 250k. Don't really think that is detailed enough as I use a 1in 50k at the moment which is just about okay. Does anyone know of any more detailed maps available for the Satmap - or, if not, for an alternative unit? :huh:

Thanks

Am off to Australia next week and I am trying to work out a mapping solution for my GPS - I have a satmap and the only map I can find for trails is a 1 in 250k. Don't really think that is detailed enough as I use a 1in 50k at the moment which is just about okay. Does anyone know of any more detailed maps available for the Satmap - or, if not, for an alternative unit? :huh:

Thanks

Never heard of Satmap until I saw your post. So I've had a bit of a Google around—it likes like a nice unit.

But being a new contender there doesn't appear to be much of a after market yet? (You could always come to NZ instead—there is a 1:50k map for Aotearoa. :rolleyes:

Do you know what sort of format the map files are?

Edit to say I've had a bit more of a ferret around. Looks like Satmap are using the Apple business model and the maps are completely propitiatory.

You could buy another geocaching GPS but learning how to use it in a week? How are you traveling in OZ? If you're hiring a vehicle you can usually hire a GPS with it. Or you could buy a cheap Garmin car unit?

Edited by Huntleigh

I'm coming for a whole year, so a new gps wouldn't be such a stupid idea! If I were to get a garmin, would there be 1 in 50K maps available?

Will try the other website too - Thanks.

Garmin's are good because there are plenty of free maps.

If you get across the ditch there are:

For Australia itself there is: