Is There Such A Thing As...

57Maat

I've been reading these Forums for over a week and was really hoping I wouldn't have to ask yet another "Which GPS" question, and would have found my simple answer by now...but I haven’t.

Is there such a thing as a paperless, touchscreen, waterproof, easy to read in bright sunlight, map-loaded, highly sensitive, highly accurate GPS that will keep me from spending additional monies along the way, which also has functionality specifically created for geocaching and can store all the information from Pocket Queries as well as storing field notes??? If yes, please tell me. If no, please give me your humble opinion of the next best thing.

I honestly appreciate your helpful answers, in advance. :)

Edited by 57Maat

easy to read in bright sunlight....GPS that will keep me from spending additional monies along the way

You'll need to visit a store on a sunny day and see if they'll let you take one outside. What additional costs are you concerned about?

That's a very good suggestion...Thanks!

I'm concerned that I'll have to pay $$$ here and there for maps.

If you buy a Montana, or other Garmin handhelds, I'm pretty sure you'll need to buy any routable maps for it.

From here

Buy the auto mount and a City Navigator NT® map and it'll give you spoken turn-by-turn driving directions. It's big. It's versatile. It's tough. It earned the name Montana.

Doesn't sound like they're giving it away does it?

You can get free topos for the US from GPSfileDepot, but most of them aren't routable.

easy to read in bright sunlight....GPS that will keep me from spending additional monies along the way

You'll need to visit a store on a sunny day and see if they'll let you take one outside. What additional costs are you concerned about?

That's a very good suggestion...Thanks!

If the store won't let you take it outside (which is an entirely reasonable stance for them to take, unless you've given them some solid security such as the full purchase price in cash) see if you can take it to an outside window that's got sunlight coming through it.

You can get a lot of maps for free, OpenStreetMap being just one source of them. They are legitimately free, not ripped off and hacked products.

I've been reading these Forums for over a week and was really hoping I wouldn't have to ask yet another "Which GPS" question, and would have found my simple answer by now...but I haven’t.

Is there such a thing as a paperless, touchscreen, waterproof, easy to read in bright sunlight, map-loaded, highly sensitive, highly accurate GPS that will keep me from spending additional monies along the way, which also has functionality specifically created for geocaching and can store all the information from Pocket Queries as well as storing field notes??? If yes, please tell me. If no, please give me your humble opinion of the next best thing.

Current models with all those features:

Oregon 450t

Oregon 550t

Montana 650t

Previous models:

nüvi 500

nüvi 550

Older Oregons (x00 models had displays that we're not as good in bright sunlight) would not fulfill all your requirements.

Edited by coggins

Not mentioned yet...are you planning on buying a Premium Membership?

B.

My Garmin Montana does that!

NO, it does not do all of that. :rolleyes:

My Montana also does ALL of that.

Is there such a thing as a paperless - CHECK

touchscreen - CHECK

waterproof - CHECK

easy to read in bright sunlight - CHECK

map-loaded - CHECK (650T)

highly sensitive - CHECK

highly accurate - CHECK

GPS that will keep me from spending additional monies along the way - CHECK (free maps are everywhere even routable ones)

which also has functionality specifically created for geocaching and can store all the information from Pocket Queries as well as storing field notes? - CHECK

SViking, what were you refering to the Montana NOT doing?? :rolleyes:

Thanks Every one!

I went into a Sport's Warehouse today and only got to look at a Montana from outside the case because their CS wasn't very good. Oh well. I'll keep checking my area. There's and REI around and a Sport's Authority...I'll call first!

I'm still wondering about the Magellan 510...any one have experience with that?

And for those that mentioned routable, that's a feature I'd like, too!

I went ahead and made a purchase today on a Magellan 510. I'm eager to get caching!

?? You must have really liked the 510 in person. Looking back on this post I don't believe anyone recommended it. Let us know how you like it, I used to love Magellans when I had a Meridian back in 2003.

Edited by yogazoo

Thanks Again to every one that chimed in to offer some advice/opinion.

I went ahead and made a purchase today on a Magellan 510. I'm eager to get caching!

Really? Current Magellans are poo. Hope the place you ordered it from has a good return policy. :laughing:

?? You must have really liked the 510 in person. Looking back on this post I don't believe anyone recommended it. Let us know how you like it, I used to love Magellans when I had a Meridian back in 2003.

Really! lol. I intentionally did not list price as a buying factor in my OP because I wanted to see what you all knew that this gal didn't (which is of course, a cacheload). So I needed to hear and see if any touchscreen came up in my budget price range. Getting some birthday cash on Monday put me into the range for a touch screen and for that I'm grateful.

I PM'd a few 510 owners through this website and got good, detailed reports (pros and cons) back. I hope I'll be happy. I'll certainly let you know how I like it, after I give it a good run!

Thanks Yogazoo! ;)

Really? Current Magellans are poo. Hope the place you ordered it from has a good return policy. :laughing:

Gee, uhhh...thanks? I guess I'll find out, won't I?

And if it is Poo you'll be the first to know. And if it ISN'T Poo, you'll also be the first to know! :P