Petrol!

No queuing for me filled the tank 4 days ago and managed to drive straight in and top up with £25 today.

Must admit I try not to drive to far these days due to the fact that at 27mpg @ £1.47 per ltr it is a very expensive to go very far.

Added the decimal dot, thanks Marty

Edited by DrDick&Vick

I try not to drive to far these days due to the fact that at 27mpg @ £147 per ltr it is a very expensive

Either you're running your motor on vintage Krug Champers, or you've missed a dot there somewhere!

Anyway, we're away for the weekend so will be doing more driving than usual and I don't want to be stuck trying to find fuel in unfamiliar territory so I did have to fill up today, but 3 of our local stations are closed and one is only letting punters have twenty quid's worth, but I drove straight into the next one and was out in 5 minutes.

So who is caching nearer home than they would like this weekend in order to preserve the petrol in their tank that they queued so long and hard to get?!! :rolleyes:

I cache by bicycle most of the time. I only fill up the car every couple of months or so, so if there are strikes I'll most likely just sit tight and wait for the dust to settle before going to fill up again. Last time there were threats of fuel protests I stocked up on fuel (including a couple of fuel cans) and it took me nearly four months to use it all up. So no need to be doing that again...

I'm in no doubt that your method of transport requires no petrol for sure. But I'm more concerned by that "No trespassing" sign beside you. :rolleyes:

As the 'No Trespassing' sign is on a fence, and you can read the sign, there is no trespassing taking place...

Exactly. It means do not cross the fence or else you will be trespassing, but frankly, only a fool would cross the fence as it was a sheer dro onto a busy road, this photo was taken at an earthcache site in Wisconsin. The no trespassing sign could just as easily have said no suicide! :laughing: It does in fact say "No Trespassing Dangerous Drop Off" if you look closely.

The photo on the earthcache page shows what will happen if you do trespass!

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Is it just me who loves the idea of geocaching on horseback?

Not sure it'd actually work out cheaper than running a car though.

Whilst I have ridden horses on quite a few occasions, it's a long way from being one of my favourite passtimes. Something I have always fancied, though, if I had the money to indulge it, would be to have a packhorse. A small tent, a bag of oats, some food and water and the green lanes in Summer.... Magic!

I sometimes go caching by Horse :D only when the cache are within riding distance of the yard though - as the Horsebox uses twice as much Diesel as the car :blink: ... and it's a pain getting on and off and trying to hold an impatient horse whilst searching!

Here is Inca The Geohorse with a cache B)

ed878312-a970-4785-8140-ee785c5bdaad.jpg

Hah brill, love Inca! Probably one of those things that generally you'd need a very patient horse for. But I guess if it was every weekend they'd get used to it? And of course with all the rural country roads, cornwall would be perfect.

Still probably costs more to look after and stable a horse for a year than a small car... Hmm. Still, a geohorse would be good, but not practical while I have a geohound.

I sometimes go caching by Horse :D only when the cache are within riding distance of the yard though - as the Horsebox uses twice as much Diesel as the car :blink: ... and it's a pain getting on and off and trying to hold an impatient horse whilst searching!

Here is Inca The Geohorse with a cache B)

ed878312-a970-4785-8140-ee785c5bdaad.jpg

He must find it difficult to sign logs with those fiddly little pencils. Well, I find it hard enough, and I don't have hooves.

Nope - I've done quite a few from Pendragon, my Exmoor - even verging on night caching on him as it got dark while I was searching in Dalkeith Park where I used to keep him (fortunately he's used to doing that circuit in the dark!) Since he moved locations we've done a few on the Pentland hills and hope to do more. He's not very helpful for the final search so I tend to leave him tied to the nearest tree or tethered by the mouth when there's grass! I think my favourite with him so far was Capelaw Hill in the Pentlands where when I finally found the cache and looked back for the pony he was a pretty small figure in the distance, hardly moved from where I left him thanks to an abundance of grass!

Here's him with one of the Dalkeith Park caches

IMG20110105_001.jpg

But on the subject of petrol, no I don't think he's cheaper!!! And they tend to complain if you put him in the carpark at work!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by pendragon9321

Nope - I've done quite a few from Pendragon, my Exmoor - even verging on night caching on him as it got dark while I was searching in Dalkeith Park where I used to keep him (fortunately he's used to doing that circuit in the dark!) Since he moved locations we've done a few on the Pentland hills and hope to do more. He's not very helpful for the final search so I tend to leave him tied to the nearest tree or tethered by the mouth when there's grass! I think my favourite with him so far was Capelaw Hill in the Pentlands where when I finally found the cache and looked back for the pony he was a pretty small figure in the distance, hardly moved from where I left him thanks to an abundance of grass!

Here's him with one of the Dalkeith Park caches

IMG20110105_001.jpg

But on the subject of petrol, no I don't think he's cheaper!!! And they tend to complain if you put him in the carpark at work!!!!!!!!!!!

That reminds me of two people I know who went on a tour in South America and were on a train journey when the guide pointed out the biggest corned beef plant in the world. The fields surrounding the plant were packed with horses and the tourists thought that they had eaten horse in the corned beef they had purchased in the supermarkets back home until the guide explained that the fields around were really the 'car park' as most employees arrived at work on horseback.

Edited by C0lin

Back to the forum after a wee break while I was caching like the wind, getting up to my 2000th for a unique virtual cache deadline, and I've just seen this thread.

The shortages caused me a bit of a pickle when I couldn't find any petrol stations on 30th March with unleaded left to fill up my scooter. Running on vapour, I just about got it home after my fruitless search but using it to go out caching again the next day was out of the question.

I had a challenge cache to collect on 31st March (which due to the nature of the challenge, could ONLY be collected on that day - or I had to wait another two months for it), and was left with the only other choice possible which was to go by bus... or should I say EIGHT buses. Yes, four buses each way.

It was a journey of something like 10 miles and would have taken me less than half an hour on my scooter. It actually took me 2 1/2 hours door-to-cache (and of course the same again on the way home). It's a good job I enjoy caching.... ;)

It actually took me 2 1/2 hours door-to-cache (and of course the same again on the way home). It's a good job I enjoy caching.... ;)
10 miles, walking at 4mph... You couldn't have saved any time but you could have saved money on foot. Greener too? Actually, going cross-country rather than the road route, you probably could have saved time. As I'm training for this year's London Marathon (12 days to go! More details on my profile, and I have an event in London in the afternoon too) I might have tried running it. As it happens, my car was off the road for a week when it needed work for its MOT, so I've been cycling everywhere. Safer than a horse I think, and all good exercise :)