Looking for a home for the 1st Botswana Waymark

Team GBS

I tried to enter this as a virtual cache and was re-directed to Waymarking. Where has this site been hiding?? Anyhow it is quite bewildering and having failed to get a home for my 1st attempt to create a waymark, I am looking for someone to suggest a suitable category for me to log this under. The link that was created from my last attempt is here - so waiting for some offers. Thanks - TeamGBS

http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/edit.aspx?f=1&guid=f3bd97fd-d265-4cdc-b561-613a083e1e4c

Well, this is interesting. I have a photo of a similar monument taken in Finland. Mine commemorates the completion of surfacing of the road all the way from Kemi to Kilpisjärvi in 1971.

And ... er ... no, I can't think of the right category for it.

Now, I don't think "Road completion commemoration markers" will fly as a category - starting a whole new category would be overkill for these two :laughing:

But what I will do is ask the other officers of the Milestones category to see what they think about allowing these. I'm not promising but I'll see what the consensus is. Stand by ...

Here's my example.

6a67caa9-db72-4fc3-af11-bac2c480f519.jpg

Why shouldn't a road completion or commemoration to roads be a category on its own as it is in fact a valid piece of history and are found throughout the world all sorts of roads have plaques that would not fit in other categories however they would fit together in a general road history category. Then again if you live in the US they have individual road categories!! something that is not allowed by other countries but alas was would the forums be without those US waymarkers. JMO

I can't think of a category for the commemoration stone, email the leader of the Commercial Commemorations category. It is normally for anniversaries but they may take one for the 0 anniversary or inception.

If you have photos of the gravestone then I think you would be able to submit it to Out of Place Graves category.

Why shouldn't a road completion or commemoration to roads be a category on its own as it is in fact a valid piece of history and are found throughout the world all sorts of roads have plaques that would not fit in other categories however they would fit together in a general road history category. Then again if you live in the US they have individual road categories!! something that is not allowed by other countries but alas was would the forums be without those US waymarkers. JMO

I'd be worried about prevalence. Personally I've only ever seen the one (pictured above) but I'm open to persuasion to the contrary.

Edited by Team Sieni

Two suggestions:

1). Signs of History The plaque may have too little info for the requirements in this category, but query the group leader and ask for flexibility to give this a home.

2). Murals As leader of this category, I pre-approve the great artwork on the stone as a mural.

Then, I wouldn't rule out a category for highway dedications. They are quite common here in Korea - at least for the large expressways. If the category included other highway structures such as tunnels and bridges, it might make a go of it. I'll think about it.

Haven't visited Africa yet, but have many good friends from there, and just spent a week with good friends who have lived many years in Mozambique and Malawi. On my list. But, then, my list is really long . . . .