Favorites count wrong?

sidsefrank

Hi

My favorites section says:

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 6

Total Favorite Points: 92

But I have 1041 finds and no cache have been logged "Fount it" more than once and I do not log my own caches.

It this and error or what does not count?

My finds:

644 Traditional Cache

51 Multi-cache

1 Virtual Cache

7 Letterbox Hybrid

8 Event Cache

313 Unknown Cache

1 Webcam Cache

12 Earthcache

4 Wherigo Cache

But I have 1041 finds and no cache have been logged "Fount it" more than once and I do not log my own caches.

Have you ever deleted a "Found it" log for any reason, then later logged it again? It was mentioned in a recent topic that this could lead to your favourites being "out of step".

Have you ever deleted a "Found it" log for any reason, then later logged it again? It was mentioned in a recent topic that this could lead to your favourites being "out of step".

Yes I do this often.

I hunt for FTF and when found I log it with a short message.

When I write the full log I post it as a new "found it" to notify CO and who ever that have watch the cache.

I then delete the first log. (To avoid the "This entry was edited by..." line in the log).

I have also found and logged caches that was archived but still in place that I have found coincidencial.

Is it possible to recalculate the points somehow?

Edited by sidsefrank

I am told that events play into this somehow.

I don't think so. I've attended over 40 events, but my favourite count is exactly what I would expect, and the "Logs Until Next Favorite Point" is within 2 of what I would expect. My difference is likely due to a recent find on a retracted cache or the odd deleted "Found it" log.

Yes I do this often.

That's probably what's doing it. Why not just log from the field as a note, rather than a find? Watchers will still get notified, and you can log your find once you get home.

Is it possible to recalculate the points somehow?

There's no function on the site to do this. You could try contacting Groundspeak to see if they can manually recalculate.

That's probably what's doing it. Why not just log from the field as a note, rather than a find? Watchers will still get notified, and you can log your find once you get home.

Because in my area it is considered polite to log first find with a "found it" as it is then removed from "unfound" lists.

About events: - it seems to count:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

My Favorite Points total doesn't seem to match my find count. Why?

Only the first "Found it!" log (or the equivalent "smiley" log for Webcam and Event Caches) posted to the cache page counts toward your total Favorite Points; duplicate finds are not calculated. Finds on caches that you own are also not included. The result is that your Favorite Points count may be slightly less than 10% of your total geocache finds.

Because in my area it is considered polite to log first find with a "found it" as it is then removed from "unfound" lists.

OK, that's fine. Things work differently in different areas, so if that's the way it's generally agreed you do it for your area, then that's how it is.

About events: - it seems to count:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

My Favorite Points total doesn't seem to match my find count. Why?

Only the first "Found it!" log (or the equivalent "smiley" log for Webcam and Event Caches) posted to the cache page counts toward your total Favorite Points; duplicate finds are not calculated. Finds on caches that you own are also not included. The result is that your Favorite Points count may be slightly less than 10% of your total geocache finds.

I've added some bolding. What you quoted says that events DO count. The equivalent "found" log for webcams is "Webcam Photo Taken", and for events is "Attended".

Basically, if you've never deleted any logs, never logged a retracted cache, never logged your own caches, never duplicate logged, or done any other "out of the ordinary" logging, your favourite count should be exactly 10% (rounded down) of your total finds (no matter what type they are). You should also then receive a new point on every multiple of ten finds (ie. 10, 20, 30, etc.). If any of the above "out of the ordinary" logging has occurred, your favourites will likely be "out of step".

Yes I do this often.

When I write the full log I post it as a new "found it" to notify CO and who ever that have watch the cache.

I then delete the first log. (To avoid the "This entry was edited by..." line in the log).

This is the reason your Favorites count is off. The system does not award a point toward Favorites accrual if it sees another find log from you on that cache, whether or not that log is archived. This is to prevent people from cheating by constantly logging and deleting finds to build up points. You can write to contact@geocaching.com to ask that your missing Favorite points be manually added to your account.

Yes I do this often.

This is the reason your Favorites count is off. The system does not award a point toward Favorites accrual if it sees another find log from you on that cache, whether or not that log is archived. This is to prevent people from cheating by constantly logging and deleting finds to build up points. You can write to contact@geocaching.com to ask that your missing Favorite points be manually added to your account.

Thanks. I allready send a mail trough: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

I know you prefer to do it as you stated, but it seems things would be SO much easier if you just edited your first Found It log for caches.

If you REALLY want the watchers and owners to get the message sent to them AND you want your favorites to line up, post the extended text of your trip as a "Write Note" later. Win-Win.

Since then, I started to post a FTF note, then a "found it" and deleted the note when the "found it" was logged.

To my surprise deleting the note also "reset" the "logs until next favorite point" by one.

I then just tried to post a "found it" and edit that.

But to notify CO and people who had the cache on watch I posted a 2nd "found it" and deleted the 2nd again.

This also reset the count.

Conclution: Do not delete notes or "found it" logs at all. Else you will loss the favorite count.

I think Groundspeak should fix this.

When a user post a "found it", just check if a "found it" by the same user allready exists for the cache.

If so show an error message or automatic change the log type to a note. Why allow dual "found it" logs anyway?

If a user delete a "found it" subtract one from the FP count. If a new "found it" are logged add one to the FP count.

Even if they want to allow more "found it" on one cache by one user it can be solved.

If the user post a "found it" check if another "found it" by the same user allready exists for the cache.

If so do not add one to FP count.

If a "found it" are deleted, check if another "found it" by the same user allready exists for the cache.

If so do not subtract one from the FP count. Else do.

Yes, I have had the same problem!

Some time ago I noticed my "logs until next favourite point" was out by 1, meaning I needed one more than I expected. When I asked about it in this forum, I got the response about having deleted a Found It log, although I can't remember ever having done so.

Two days ago, I posted a note on a new cache to let other cachers in my area know that I was claiming an FTF, but left writing the Found It log until the next day. I deleted the note. I don't remember if I deleted the note before or after writing the Found log.

Today I logged another cache and noticed that my "logs until next favourite point" is now out by 2! It could only have been deleting the note that did it. I'm glad to see that someone has noticed this, too.

I totally agree with the premise that duplicate logs shouldn't count toward favourite points. What I have trouble understanding is why deleting a log eliminates that cache from being counted toward favourite points. The statistics tab has no trouble telling me how many 'distinct' finds I've made. Why can't the favourite point calculation be based on the same thing?

I wrote to Groundspeak and got reply:

---

Thank you for getting back to us. We were able to confirm that this is in fact a bug within the favorite points system and have forwarded this to our developers.

---

I can also confirm that if you write a FTF note and delete it before you log the "found it" the count will be ok.

The site is suddenly down so I can't check my favorite points but I think I have a truckload of them. I only award favorite points for caches that are really exceptional. Consequently, I don't normally award favorite points and have a ton of them lying around.

I only award favorite points for caches that are really exceptional. Consequently, I don't normally award favorite points and have a ton of them lying around.

Same here!

We've got 778 Favorite points remaining.

Total Favorite Points: 986

So you can see that we DO give favourites but we're a bit picky about what caches get them :)

I've seen instances where cachers do a series of ten bland caches around a park and then award a favorite to one of them at random 'for the series' :huh:

Mark

Edited by Delta68

Hello there,

I've simillar problem, but not the same.

I was Premium member for a year, after my Premium membership expired I logged 3 caches, then I renewed Premium Membership again and the 3 caches weren't counted to the Favorites count.

If I get this right, it should:

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the caches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the cache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones.

My details:

FINDS

Favorites

0 Favorite points remaining

Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 3

Total Favorite Points: 16

I haven't any cache logged twice and this just happened after my Premium membership expired and I renewed it.

Please, is there any way to count the 3 missing caches? It'it much better, when I can expect another favorite point after every 10th cache (160, 170, 180, etc.).

Thank You for any help.

If you let your premium membership lapse at any point, you will not get credit toward Favorite points for those caches found during the lapsed period.

Thank You for Your answer! If You are right, I don't understand this in help center:

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the caches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the cache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones.

I've just figured out some workaround for my situation, I deleted logs at the 3 caches I had logged as a Basic Member and logged them again now as Premium member and I was gained credit toward Favorite points, but only for 2 caches from 3. It didn't work for the 3rd cache... so it still seems to me as a bug.

Please, is there any way to retrieve this one missing credit toward Favorite points? I'd really like to have the FP after every 10th logged cache (170, 180, 190, etc.) as used to be before...

Thank You very much for Your help.

I'm having a somewhat similar problem here. I have just a few minutes ago logged find #583, and on my profile overview page it says "Logs Until Next Favorite Point: 9", which would mean I will get the next FP for log #592, not #590 as it should be. My PM will expire in September and I have never had any "lapsed time" as I am on my first year of premium membership. Up until a few days ago the count was correct, I got a new favorite point at #550, #560 etc. But for some reason unknown to me, that changed. I have not logged any cache twice as found, nor have I deleted any logs. Only thing I have done recently is logging a few caches "on the road", using the GC IPhone app. But I have done so before and this has never caused any problems. Any idea what might've caused this incorrect count?

Thanks for your help!

~*SisqoKid*~

Two weeks and several found logs later this problem still persists. My favorite count is still off by two, meaning I will be awarded the next FP at found #622 instead of #620. I would be really grateful if somebody who has the knowledge and meanings to do so would look into this matter and give me a heads-up on what the reason for this bug is. Thanks!

We have a bug that was recently introduced in which events are no longer counting toward Favorite point progress. The engineering team is aware of this issue and is investigating.

Is this really a bug? Since I can't give an event a favorite point I would say events not counting towards favorite points is consistent. See the last item in my sig.

We have a bug that was recently introduced in which events are no longer counting toward Favorite point progress. The engineering team is aware of this issue and is investigating.

Thanks for the info! :) That seems to be a fitting reason in my case, since I attended events on 8/11 and 8/13 and that was about the time the "wrong count" started!

Hello, I still got the behaviour of not being awaded the favorite points I should have earned from my Basic membership. I haven't been a premium member before and I had 106 Found it logs before finally getting the Premium membership. So I should have started with 10 favorite points, but had none at all. How can I get the favorite points missing?