GPS Stolen, help with serial number

hammerandsickle

Hi guys, my Garmin colorado was stolen from my car today and the police would like the serial # as they think are pretty certain they have found the culprit. I, idiotically, did not ever write down the serial #, register the device with Garmin, or keep the box that it shipped in. (I do have ALL of the contents of the box, but nothing seems to show a serial # except for the trip and waypoint manager software.

I have connected my Colorado to my computer and downloaded caches from geocaching.com, and was hoping that my device's serial # would be saved in some log on my computer--maybe in the files for the garmin plug in for my web browser?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Hi guys, my Garmin colorado was stolen from my car today and the police would like the serial # as they think are pretty certain they have found the culprit. I, idiotically, did not ever write down the serial #, register the device with Garmin, or keep the box that it shipped in. (I do have ALL of the contents of the box, but nothing seems to show a serial # except for the trip and waypoint manager software.

I have connected my Colorado to my computer and downloaded caches from geocaching.com, and was hoping that my device's serial # would be saved in some log on my computer--maybe in the files for the garmin plug in for my web browser?

You could always check with the supplier you bought it from... electronics often have the SN on the bill of sale. You did keep the bill of sale or shipping invoice or whatever didn't you? If not some will charge a bit to look it up which is fair.

Did you ask the techs at Geocaching if they used the S/N anywhere in the download process as does the Garmin Communicator.. that always at least recognizes the GPS or seems to on a single loading direct to GPS. Perhaps the newer direct transfer type GPX files don't do that at all.

Good luck with that!

Doug 7rxc

You could always check with the supplier you bought it from... electronics often have the SN on the bill of sale. You did keep the bill of sale or shipping invoice or whatever didn't you? If not some will charge a bit to look it up which is fair.

Did you ask the techs at Geocaching if they used the S/N anywhere in the download process as does the Garmin Communicator.. that always at least recognizes the GPS or seems to on a single loading direct to GPS. Perhaps the newer direct transfer type GPX files don't do that at all.

Good luck with that!

Doug 7rxc

+ 1. Hopefully your best friend will be your supplier. When you get it back, "engrave" it with one of those pens you can read with UV light, or something else. Good luck!

From camping with Scouts as a leader, I learned to mark everything.

With my GPSrs:

I register on the site, which when you connect a Garmin, pulls the SN number from the unit.

Start-up screen lets you customize with name and phone number.

I add a text file to the internal memory, containing name and phone. (Owner info.txt)

I stick a label inside the battery compartment, with name and phone.

I keep a backup of the waypoint file. If you have this, print out and show the police so that they can see it matches the waypoints in the unit.

See if you can describe any of the saved track-log locations.

I keep a backup of the waypoint file. If you have this, print out and show the police so that they can see it matches the waypoints in the unit.

See if you can describe any of the saved track-log locations.

If it still has cache info, you'll know what the list of "found caches" contains, and you'll have an idea of what caches are on it. If you saved a Pocket Query file with a custom name, that's a good clue. And you can list any custom settings, and even the type and brand of batteries. Maybe the current track leads to your house?

Edited by kunarion