Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
oxford comma

developmentally disabled adults

hi everyone. I work with adults who have developmental and intellectual disabilities. I would like to take a group on an easy find. any recommendations? I have an iphone ( it's worked fine for personal use, just a battery hog) . is there a way to find wheelchair accessible caches and/or caches that are appropriate for my folks' abilities? I am guessing a pre scouting for a good one might be a good idea, but I kind of don't want to know where it is hidden ahead of time . has anyone ever done this and have any tips/ stories ? there is one cache right in our parking lot area so I thought that might be a good place to start, as I've already logged a find. do I really need a gps? ( recommended?) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

This is one instance where a premium membership is very handy. With a premium membership, you can run a pocket querry to sort for wheel chair accessible or caches rated below a 2/2. The iphone works very well for caching. I use mine quite often, and you are right: it is a battery hog for these types apps. If you want a GPS, I have my preference, but others have theirs.

Have you attended any events in your area? I have found events a GREAT way to meet other cachers in the area and they are a huge help for something like this.

You can look at the geocaching map and scan for 1/1 or 1/1.5 caches. Terrain 1 caches are by definition handicap accessible. Hope that helps a bit.

hi everyone. I work with adults who have developmental and intellectual disabilities. I would like to take a group on an easy find. any recommendations? I have an iphone ( it's worked fine for personal use, just a battery hog) . is there a way to find wheelchair accessible caches and/or caches that are appropriate for my folks' abilities? I am guessing a pre scouting for a good one might be a good idea, but I kind of don't want to know where it is hidden ahead of time . has anyone ever done this and have any tips/ stories ? there is one cache right in our parking lot area so I thought that might be a good place to start, as I've already logged a find. do I really need a gps? ( recommended?) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

I am a recreation therapist and I am using geocaching for the individuals I work with. We are having great success with it, and they love it. Not only is geocaching a great physical exercise, but it also helps my clients with autism to learn to sequence, document(help with writing skills)and to develop skills that transition over to typical recreation and leisure activities.

You will also note the GREEN highlight colors in the newer site that highlight caches that may be of benefit of "Beginners", depending on the abilities of the folks searching that may come in handy. As another poster mentions 2/2 is a place to start, but if you want easier terrain or difficulty, just lower your search types to 1/1 etc.

thanks!

You can look at the geocaching map and scan for 1/1 or 1/1.5 caches. Terrain 1 caches are by definition supposed to be handicap accessible. Hope that helps a bit.

Fixed it.

Not to be snarky, but from personal experience there are a LOT of T1 caches out there that are rated anywhere from a bit wrong to "WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING?!" wrong.

Even the wheelchair attribute is not a great deal of help as many cachers don't use attributes or they apply the attribute incorrectly. The say the CACHE is wheelchair accessible, but GETTING to the cache is a whole other story. Others apply the attribute thinking anyone in a wheelchair has someone with them that can make the final grab for them so all they consider is whether they can get to ground zero.

So, yeah, it's a bit of a quagmire and you should probably spend some time looking for caches that may work, pick some out, and then check out end-to-end accessibility and the general accessibility of the target area before you take folks out there.

You can also check out Handicaching.com to see if any in your area have been rated as truly handicap accessible.

I would also reach out to local Geocachers groups. I'm sure many people will offer help and make sure the location will be a safe and fun place.