To photograph or not to photograph?

Hi there folks,

I'm a newbie geocacher, having been active for about a month (and enjoying every minute of it I might add :) ). I'd like to get people's opinions on one aspect of the activity... I've developed a habit of taking a quick close-up photograph of the contents of each cache that I find, and including this for posterity with my "Found It" log entry. Aware that folk don't need to look at photos, and that the web site warns that pictures may be "spoilers", I've not seen a problem with this. However, this evening I noticed a log from another 'cacher expressing their annoyance at what I've done. Whilst I found their log rather rude I do not want to be spoiling things for others and would therefore appreciate some feedback on the subject. If people are strongly against recording photos like this then I will stop doing it :)

Thanks in advance, and Happy Caching,

Glenikins

I'm glad someone has posed this question - I'm new too and like to take pictures and post them with my log, my daughter likes to have her picture taken with the cache if it's a good one. If any of my pictures are particularly revealing as to the location, I generally add my own warning NOT to look at the picture. I personally would be lost without others pictures sometimes, but if I don't want to look at the pictures, I don't - simple as that really so I don't understand why others would be upset by it. Why look at the gallery if you don't want to see the cache or the location?

...and some CO's get all bent out of shape even if you post a picture of the log book let alone the contents of their cache.

I post similar pictures and had to deal with an anal CO who said pictures of the signed log book were "spoilers" because fellow cachers could "figure out the size of the cache" from the size of the log book.

My advice? Post 'em until the CO removes them. Anyone else that complains about your pictures doesn't have to look at them.

I'm glad someone has posed this question - I'm new too and like to take pictures and post them with my log, my daughter likes to have her picture taken with the cache if it's a good one. If any of my pictures are particularly revealing as to the location, I generally add my own warning NOT to look at the picture. I personally would be lost without others pictures sometimes, but if I don't want to look at the pictures, I don't - simple as that really so I don't understand why others would be upset by it. Why look at the gallery if you don't want to see the cache or the location?

That's true, but if the CO doesn't want the hide spoiled by a picture, then that wish should be respected.

If it is a unique container or special camo job for the surroundings then I would not very well appreciate such a photo. Also would not like if you gave away the spot when there are similar spots very nearby.

I enjoy good photography though and encourage photos in General - just be careful and use good judgement about just how much information you are giving away.

It depends on the cache. If the photo doesn't give anything away (i.e., it doesn't "spoil" the details of the hide), then go for it. But if the photo gives away the custom camouflage of a high-difficulty cache (or otherwise "spoils" the details of the hide), then it would be better to keep it to yourself.

Adding to those already posted.....

If the CO doesn't want it, why leave it? Regardless of the reason. Not worth future hassles, ya know.

If it were my photo and I was asked to remove it, I would dump it in a heartbeat. It's just a photo.

Pushing and shoving for the sake of pushing and shoving has little business in geocaching.

Why look at the gallery if you don't want to see the cache or the location?

That's two questions. The cache, and the location. Just because I want to see the general location doesn't mean I want a spoiler. Now, unless the container is a special creative type of container, a picture that shows the swag content wouldn't bother me, but it should be moved away from the hiding place first.

Thanks a lot for all the responses folks. I never take pictures that reveal the location, the pics are just of the contents and the bit of the log book that I've signed. I agree that if the CO asks for a pic to be removed, then that's what should be done.

Glenikins :)

Hi and welcome to the great sport of Geocaching.

This happened to one of my caches last year. A cacher found one of my caches that I spent a lot of time on its camo job. The cacher took of picture of himself holding the cache container. I sent him a personal message asking him to please delete the photo and explained my reason why I wanted them to delete the photo. They wrote back to me rejecting my request stating the warning that possible spoilers existed. I contacted Groundspeak as well and a Reviewer. Both Groundspeak and the Reviewer informed me the warning DOES NOT give license to cachers to purposely enter spoilers either in photos or their logs. I was told that I, as the Cache Owner, had the right to delete the photo if the cacher didn't do it on their own. Fortunately the cacher relented and removed the photo. They weren't happy about it, but they did remove it. Some CO's might not care about photos of their caches and others may. But it is the right of the Cache Owner to ask that photos or logs to be removed if they jeopardize cache. I hope this helps.

Just last week a new cacher was posting pictures of my caches showing exactly what the container was and exactly where he found it. I was not at all happy. My caches are not film canisters under lamp post skirts.

I sent him an email and asked him to stop and to remove the pictures. I quickly found out that I could remove the pictures myself so I did. One log I asked him to change because he described in great detail where and what it was.

btw - I was nice. he's a young guy just starting and I didn't want him to be discouraged. I know he will understand when he places his own cache.

Hi and welcome to the great sport of Geocaching.

This happened to one of my caches last year. A cacher found one of my caches that I spent a lot of time on its camo job. The cacher took of picture of himself holding the cache container. I sent him a personal message asking him to please delete the photo and explained my reason why I wanted them to delete the photo. They wrote back to me rejecting my request stating the warning that possible spoilers existed. I contacted Groundspeak as well and a Reviewer. Both Groundspeak and the Reviewer informed me the warning DOES NOT give license to cachers to purposely enter spoilers either in photos or their logs. I was told that I, as the Cache Owner, had the right to delete the photo if the cacher didn't do it on their own. Fortunately the cacher relented and removed the photo. They weren't happy about it, but they did remove it. Some CO's might not care about photos of their caches and others may. But it is the right of the Cache Owner to ask that photos or logs to be removed if they jeopardize cache. I hope this helps.

obviously he really liked the container and the surprise he got when he found it. The chance to ruin the fun for the next person is wrong.

I read the rude note regarding your logs with photos.

If it's not the cache owner complaining, or asking you to remove the photos, just ignore the cranky-pants who feel they need to control everyone else's actions.

I for one would love it if people would post photos more often. I thoroughly investigate every cache I might consider hunting, and that includes looking at all photos posted.

If it's a photo of a typical lock-n-lock or preform, who cares? "Special" or unusual camouflage or an unusual container might be considered a spoiler, but others have the choice of whether to look at the photos or not. They choose whether to click the link in your log to view the photo.

Taking a photo of your signature on the log book is a good idea. There are some mighty finicky cache owners out there, and you've got proof that you did indeed sign their precious log book.

Ignore the cranky-pants who write passive-aggressive logs and carry on as you have. I haven't seen one log of yours that "spoiled" the hunt for others.

B.

I generally don't take photos of the container unless there is a problem with the container. If I like a location and have my camera with me, I will take photos of the general area of the hide, although I try not to give any hints away as to the actual location.

If the destination has some surprising quality to it, either the way the cache is hidden, or some other property where I feel there is an element of suprise, I don't take photos at all. Obviously this is a judgement call, but I try to err on the side of not spoiling the surprise in any way.

I can understand how some would feel that even a basic photo of the container, especially if the container type is not disclosed, would reduce the difficulty of the hide. It is certainly true from my perspective that I find it easier to hunt stuff if I know exactly what I'm looking for.

There are several ways this "problem" could be avoided. The first would be that if a cache owner is concerned about spoilers, it is easy enough to add a line in the cache description that says "Please do not post pictures of the cache or its hiding spot. Any spoiler photos will be deleted. Thanks for your understanding. :D " (With the big smiley grin to show that we are being polite in our request!)

After that, if a finder posts a picture anyway (as some invariably do because they don't read cache pages thoroughly), then the CO can delete the picture and send a polite message stating why.

There are several ways this "problem" could be avoided. The first would be that if a cache owner is concerned about spoilers, it is easy enough to add a line in the cache description that says "Please do not post pictures of the cache or its hiding spot. Any spoiler photos will be deleted. Thanks for your understanding. :D " (With the big smiley grin to show that we are being polite in our request!)

After that, if a finder posts a picture anyway (as some invariably do because they don't read cache pages thoroughly), then the CO can delete the picture and send a polite message stating why.

It wasn't the cache owner who wrote the note. It was just another cacher.

A rather snarky cacher, from the sounds of it. Typical of those who feel that they have more experience than others and can therefore pass judgment.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Hi there folks,

I'm a newbie geocacher, having been active for about a month (and enjoying every minute of it I might add :) ). I'd like to get people's opinions on one aspect of the activity... I've developed a habit of taking a quick close-up photograph of the contents of each cache that I find, and including this for posterity with my "Found It" log entry. Aware that folk don't need to look at photos, and that the web site warns that pictures may be "spoilers", I've not seen a problem with this. However, this evening I noticed a log from another 'cacher expressing their annoyance at what I've done. Whilst I found their log rather rude I do not want to be spoiling things for others and would therefore appreciate some feedback on the subject. If people are strongly against recording photos like this then I will stop doing it :)

Glenikins

Generally I don't take any kind of spoiler, though it the cache is a rotting pile of coroded crud, I just might to underscore a Needs Maintenance log.

Poor practice, also, taking pictures around near a multi or puzzle final as it could tip someone off.

It wasn't the cache owner who wrote the note. It was just another cacher.

A rather snarky cacher, from the sounds of it. Typical of those who feel that they have more experience than others and can therefore pass judgment.

I read that it was another cacher (discussion about cache police anyone???) I still think that clear instructions on the cache page can stop most arguements before they begin - no matter who starts them ;)

Thanks a lot for all the responses folks. I never take pictures that reveal the location, the pics are just of the contents and the bit of the log book that I've signed. I agree that if the CO asks for a pic to be removed, then that's what should be done.

Glenikins :)

Stop trolling, you sock puppet!!

Okay. I just wanted you to experience all aspects of the forums. :P

Seriously, welcome. As others have said, be sure that you don't reveal any cleverly camouflaged containers or hiding spots and pictures are fine. I appreciate it when people take the time to post photos.

Ultimately you will occasionally run across a cache owner who just can't be satisfied no matter what you do. In those cases it's easiest to log TFTC and move on.

It depends on the cache. If the photo doesn't give anything away (i.e., it doesn't "spoil" the details of the hide), then go for it. But if the photo gives away the custom camouflage of a high-difficulty cache (or otherwise "spoils" the details of the hide), then it would be better to keep it to yourself.

This pretty much sums it up. There is a cache that I found recently that if I posted pictures of it, future finders would know before even hiking down the trail what they were going to see. It's a very easy cache to find but the "aha" moment when you get to GZ is, to me, priceless and I wouldn't have wanted anyone to spoil that for me.

I have to admit I will delete a log from a finder that posts a picture of the location, or the cache container. And I will ask them to feel free to re-post their find without any pictures giving away the location, or what the container is.

If there is a way for a CO to just delete the picture only I would do that but I don't think there is, I think it can only be deleted by the Finder.

Scubasonic

I have to admit I will delete a log from a finder that posts a picture of the location, or the cache container. And I will ask them to feel free to re-post their find without any pictures giving away the location, or what the container is.

If there is a way for a CO to just delete the picture only I would do that but I don't think there is, I think it can only be deleted by the Finder.

Scubasonic

I thought that feature was part of an update a few months ago... am I incorrect? (I don't want to try and delete someone's pic off my cache just to test it!)

Scubasonic

I thought that feature was part of an update a few months ago... am I incorrect? (I don't want to try and delete someone's pic off my cache just to test it!)

You're not incorrect. You can now delete a photo without having to delete the log.

I know have a much better understanding of the issues that photo's can cause and shall be much more careful/considerate to the CO and other cachers when I take/upload my pictures.

As a newbie, I find the pictures very useful because I don't always know what I am looking for (since caches can differ hugely in terms of size and shape etc). I will always respect the wishes of the CO if I am ever asked to remove a picture. I take the pictures more as a log for me and my daughter so we can remember which ones we have found, where and when, but as I also store the images on my laptop, I don't necessarily need to upload them to my log.

I am hoping to create my first cache over the next few days and whilst I would love it for people to upload their pictures, I guess I would be a little upset if someone took a picture blatently showing the location.

I take photos for my own pleasure and to share with friends who wonder WHAT I find so fascinating about geocaching... but I don't post them on the site. I haven't placed a cache of my own yet, but when I do I wouldn't want anything that showed my hiding spot itself OR the contents of my cache - just because I like that to be a surprise! But I DO sometimes post pics of some of my adventure in getting TO the cache! I often times (for reasons unknown) make MORE of an adventure in getting to it than is really necessary... so I've had people in stitches laughing at what I went through... when they just walked up to the silly cache and were on there way! Story of my life.... :laughing:

I am hoping to create my first cache over the next few days and whilst I would love it for people to upload their pictures, I guess I would be a little upset if someone took a picture blatently showing the location.

I've seen several caches where the CO leaves a disposable camera and encourages people to take a picture of themselves with the cache. The CO then periodically swaps out the camera and posts the pictures from it. If done consistently, and maintained, this is quite a lot of fun and makes the cache page really interesting. This obviously only works someplace where you can realistically do periodic maintenance, and in a location that isn't prone to being muggled.

Here's an example:

http://coord.info/GCTV8V

Obviously not everyone plays along, but many will.

Someone had brought this up before.

I too take pictures of the logsheet sometimes, the container if it is creative, travelbugs for discovery or ones I'm dropping in case I lose the info, but I just keep them on my computer.

But anything else like the views, flowers or fauna, those I will put on the cache. But if I do want to put a creative cache or hide location on the GC then I use one of my archived caches I have so it still shows in the gallery but doesn't say which cache it came from.

I recently took some pictures of my buddy up a tree getting a cache they pretty much gave away the cache location, so I asked the CO before I posted them if it was OK and he said no. But I do like Jellis's idea never thought of that would have liked to put the pictures in my Gallery just for the record...................... Oh Well next time.

Well this is a topic that is going to be dear to my heart. I'd thought of taking a pic and posting everything I found Then the whole "spoilers" issue hit me. In the future I'm going to restrain from taking pictures of the container. Instead, I'll post pics of the contents. Since that can change each time, I'm hoping this won't be a problem. Guess I'll keep a private album of the containers for myself.

I looked through some of your cache photos and I can see how some cachers might not appreciate the spoilers, even if it is just a pic of the container and log.. Keeping in mind that a cache listed as "micro" can range from a nano up to a film can and everything inbetween, showing a picture of the actual container may ruin the hunt for some, even if it is a basic LnL or ammo can. If the CO lists the type of container specifically (film can, bison tube, ammo can, etc.) I don't see how anyone can have a problem with the pic. I guess the cachers who have a problem with the photos probably should avoid looking at the gallery. Having said that, I don't mind if anyone posts a picture of my caches except for the unique containers. I have found most times when a cacher takes a pic of a unique container, it is a newbie who didn't know it could be a spoiler and most have apologized and removed the pic with no problem. Certainly a person should remove the photo if asked by the CO.

Hi there folks,

Glenikins

my policy is that if a cacher should post a photo of my cache conatiner I delete the photo and the log.

Hi there folks,

Glenikins

my policy is that if a cacher should post a photo of my cache conatiner I delete the photo and the log.

As cache owner, you are now able to just delete just the spoiler photo, without deleting all the log.

What about publishing pictures of noteworthy cache containers? I'd like to do this without revealing their locations.

If you want to do it outside of the cache page (Facebook, Shutterfly, etc.) I see no problem as long as you don't reveal what cache it is. I wouldn't do it in your cache log though.

Hi there folks,

Glenikins

People look at the gallery for many more reasons that to look for spoilers. Or perhaps I should say, very few people look there for spoilers. They look to see if it looks like an interesting place to visit. They don't want to see any spoilers. They look to see if any friends have posted pictures. They don't want to see any spoilers. They look because they are curious what is in the gallery. They don't want to see any spoilers

Just because the cache page warns of the possibilities of spoiler pictures is not sufficient reason to post them. Please don't post pictures that will ruin anybody's surprise. Thanks for asking!

Hi there folks,

Glenikins

Some cachers are just cranky, and need to vent on people, just for the sake of being negative. Gives them pleasure, I suppose.

If you're not posting photos of the actual location or the actual cache container, there shouldn't be a problem. If it's a "unique" container, then you should probably not post the photo online, so as to not spoil the fun for others.

I know of cachers who post photos of themselves holding the cache in each and every "found it" log...every single one.

ha, I thought this all sounded familiar...doh.

why was this thread bumped?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

What about publishing pictures of noteworthy cache containers? I'd like to do this without revealing their locations.

I'm surprised no one has told you about the thread here on the forums about "cool cache containers".

You said "noteworthy", not "excellent", now that I think about it. No problem, there's also a thread about lousy cache containers, too.

B.

Another thing I do before I post potentially problematic pictures on a log is to see what other pictures have been posted. I figure if the CO hasn't worried about it before, they probably won't worry about it now.

This is how I do it. For the ones where it could be a problem i'll take a pic and tell the Cache owner I have it to verify the find. Any questions I can email it to him.

I look at the pics and read all the logs before I go and try to find one. I don't have a GPS and any clue can help me find the cache. You would be suprised at how many clues are in photos that are posted. That even the strictest CO has allowed. You just have to know what your looking for.

Hi there folks,

Glenikins

what's the fun in just deleting the photo. Deleting the log as well sends a stronger message

Personally I think their should be a way to hide spoiler pics in the gallery for those who don't want too see them and see them for those who do....if a cacher takes a picture of a cache they are obviously happy or impressed with it, what kind of message does it send deleting posts and pictures sending hateful emails? I would feel proud if someone liked my cache well enough to take a picture with it, after all I have never seen people pose with a light pole cache.....