CO deleting DNFs?

AustinMN

At a cache near us, we searched for a good hour and came up with a DNF. Admitedly, we're beginners and an experienced cacher might have found it in minutes. I know both I and my bride logged a DNF. But now our log entries are gone. Checking the cache's log shows that there are zero DNF's logged for this cache (with over 100 finds).

Is there a good reason a CO would delete all the DNFs?

Austin

At a cache near us, we searched for a good hour and came up with a DNF. Admitedly, we're beginners and an experienced cacher might have found it in minutes. I know both I and my bride logged a DNF. But now our log entries are gone. Checking the cache's log shows that there are zero DNF's logged for this cache (with over 100 finds).

Austin

No.

Austin

Some cache owners feel it reflects poorly on them and/or their caches. I wouldn't take it personal, you will find that it does indeed happen from time to time. As you continue to cache, you will find out which cache owners don't like DNF's on their caches and you just make mental notes not to post those.

No, but some CO's consider a DNF on the cache will stop others from looking. They are somewhat correct, if I see a low difficulty cache and the last six logs were DNF's I would probably not bother. But then again the CO should have been out there checking. A high difficulty cache with that last couple logs being a DNF does not stop me.

You could always log a Needs Maintenance log asking for the CO to check on the cache. At least then he has to log an owner maintenance log or at least edit the attributes to clear the flag. And if you want to really push the envelop you could log a Needs archive. The reviewer still gets the email regardless if the log is deleted or not and the reviewer can see the string of DNF's the CO has been deleting.

Edited by jholly

Write to Groundspeak customer service with the GC code of the cache. They will investigate and restore the logs if appropriate. They've done that for my own player account so don't be shy about asking!

I've written once to get DNF logs restored (2 on the same cache), and the logs were restored without a problem. The CO was a rather new hider, and the coords were a little off when I hunted. He fixed the coords, edited the page, and removed all the previous DNF logs, assuming they don't really count since the cache was practically impossible to find at the time. That was an... interesting... opinion. So anyway, people probably have lots of reasons in their own minds for deleting other people's logs which may or may not be so valid reasons.

Edited by kunarion
They firmly stated that the cache was still there so no need for a DNF to exist.
Now that's an interesting interpretation of a DNF log.
Yes and no. In a sense, it's the same attitude that leads people to not post a DNF until they're "sure" that the cache is missing.

Write to Groundspeak customer service with the GC code of the cache. They will investigate and restore the logs if appropriate. They've done that for my own player account so don't be shy about asking!

I've written once to get DNF logs restored (2 on the same cache), and the logs were restored without a problem. The CO was a rather new hider, and the coords were a little off when I hunted. He fixed the coords, edited the page, and removed all the previous DNF logs, assuming they don't really count since the cache was practically impossible to find at the time. That was an... interesting... opinion. So anyway, people probably have lots of reasons in their own minds for deleting other people's logs which may or may not be so valid reasons.

I had that happen in burns Oregon. It was his first hide. With the help of the reviewer we got it ask straightened out no problem

I know both I and my bride logged a DNF. But now our log entries are gone.

I'll second what Team Dennis said. From your post it sounds like you discovered that your logs were missing, not that you were notified they had been deleted. If the CO deleted your logs, you should have received an email stating this fact. If you haven't received such an email (and it isn't in your spam folder), then I'd wager that somehow your DNFs were never actually logged in the first place. How this could have happened, I don't know, since we don't know your process for logging caches.

. I know both I and my bride logged a DNF. But now our log entries are gone.

How do you submit your logs? Do you send them as field notes? When I submit all my logs for the day, my DNFs are field notes and my finds are logs. So I have to go and find y field notes online to submit them.

>it's the same attitude that leads people to not post a DNF until they're "sure" that the cache is missing.

a DNF just mean YOU did not find it,

it can still be there, and it can still be in perfect shape,

anyone who thinks different needs to be educated.

Deleting DNF is like deleting history, or re-write history,

well get over it, it DID happen, you can not change history, only the future.

Before I saw the thread on this forum about CO deleting DNF, I newer heard about it before,

and not in my wildest dreams did I see why any CO would ever delete a DNF,

it just dont makes any sense at all !!

it must be a beginner ? or a real freak ?

oh once I did see a beginner edit his cords, and delete his log about it !!

it was a cache just released and I could offcourse not find it.

what !! imagine the confusion here, I had to tell him that is a bad idea,

a such cord change log is VERY usefull information, tells me to reload my GPS

and revisit, and also a CO did actually fix and care about his cache.

Edited by OZ2CPU

I know both I and my bride logged a DNF. But now our log entries are gone.

I'll second what Team Dennis said. From your post it sounds like you discovered that your logs were missing, not that you were notified they had been deleted. If the CO deleted your logs, you should have received an email stating this fact. If you haven't received such an email (and it isn't in your spam folder), then I'd wager that somehow your DNFs were never actually logged in the first place. How this could have happened, I don't know, since we don't know your process for logging caches.

I logged it on Geocaching.com.

It was many months ago. and was my first or second DNF. I saw it in my log several times. I may have received an email, I don't know. The address I used is mostly a spam midden so it could have been swept away.

Austin

Austin

Does this suck? Yes. Does it make sense to a majority of cachers reading the forums for a cache owner to do this? No. Should you let it get under your skin? From experience, no.

A kind email to the owner asking for a hint might get you a find log to make up for the DNF so you never have to go back again. Worth a shot, but arguing for your DNF to be put back up can be a drawn out messy path to frustration.