"Needs Maintenance" needs clarification

hostanut

In light of the latest newsletter that talks about geocache maintenance....

The geocaching knowledgebook includes:

"3.8. Caches That Need Maintenance

FINDERS:

If you find a geocache that is in need of some help (e.g. container is cracked, logbook is full or wet), please post a "Needs Maintenance" log on the cache page so the cache owner and the community is notified."

This needs to be clarified, enhanced etc to emphasize that "Needs Maintenance" should NOT be used by cachers just because they didn't find the cache. Yes if the cache page states, for example, that the cache is on a bench but the bench has been removed....a "Needs Maintenance" would apply.

I had the following Needs Maintenance log posted on one of my caches:

"Assume maintenance is required from recent DNFs."....The cache was there!!!

The newsletter also states:

"And geocache maintenance is not just for geocache owners. Courteous geocachers often help with cache maintenance, which helps increase the quality of the game for all. It's easy. You simply bring additional supplies such as an extra geocache container, swag, logbooks, and pens on your geocaching adventures. That way you're prepared to help out another geocacher by fixing a cache that needs maintenance on the spot."

That is nice but if the cache is NOT found CACHERS SHOULD NOT PLACE A REPLACEMENT CACHE CONTAINER WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE CO.

Leaving a replacement container to help the CO can cause problems for the CO. I've had to remove a duplicate container at least 2 times.....and both times the original cache container was less than 12 inches from the replacement. One time, unfortunately my wife had more cachers sign the replacement before we knew a replacement had been left by a helpful cacher.

Cachers need to understand that if they don't find a cache......if only means that they did not find it. It does NOT mean that the cache Needs Maintenance or that the CO needs to check on the cache.

My wife and I determine if a maintenance visit is warranted on a cache by cache basis. One DNF on a particular cache may mean a visit is needed but several DNFs on another cache might just mean that several cachers did NOT find it (especially if they had low find counts and the cache is tricky with several DNFs in the past).

Cachers need to understand that if they don't find a cache......if only means that they did not find it. It does NOT mean that the cache Needs Maintenance ....

Fully Agreed.

NM 'should' be reserved for a cache that needs some TLC not a good excuse for a throw down cache. Far too many cachers are starting to do self replacements. I really do appreciate the thought and the concern but I've seen a few duplicates caches happen. Also - they DID NOT FIND anything so why try and log a find??