Placing a cache in Washington, DC

bmsterling

Sent this to the DC reviewer but have not gotten a response.

I wanted to place a few caches in the DC area and wanted to get your advice/thoughts. I am looking to place a cache in and about http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.903115,-77.066919&ll=38.903954,-77.065299&spn=0.003736,0.007907&num=1&t=h&z=18 and http://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.904393,-77.065052&num=1&t=h&z=18 (these are not spot on, still doing the averages w/ the gps but they are close).

I've been researching who I should be getting permissions from or even if I need permissions and coming up blank for both those areas. So, I guess my question to is, who should I contact for those areas or do I even need to? Both caches most likely will be micros and both areas have something cool I'd like to bring cachers to.

Thanks.

Both of those locations are in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Park. Looking at the website for the park they have a permit office for different activites in the park. The contact given is

Leigh Zahm, Permits Coordinator

Phone: 301-745-5815

I would call that number as she would know if a permit was needed and if not who would be the appropriate person to get permission from.

Both of those locations are in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Park. Looking at the website for the park they have a permit office for different activites in the park. The contact given is

Leigh Zahm, Permits Coordinator

Phone: 301-745-5815

I would call that number as she would know if a permit was needed and if not who would be the appropriate person to get permission from.

Chesapeake and Ohio National HISTORIC Park. Administered by the NPS, but NOT a National Park.

I was in that very spot over the weekend as my daughter lives there. If you look at the geocachinbg maps for the area you will find that there are no caches in any of the NPS governed area along the C&O and the Capitl Cresent Trail in that area going all the way up to Great Falls, there are a couple of virtuals along the river, but no physicals in their area. Suggest you look to the local caching organization which I think is NOVA, Or Northern Virginia Geocachers Association for guidance. Lokk for the virtual of the Teddy Roosevelt Memorial to get the closest geocaching map to the area, it is located in Arlington.

It is a great area and a wonderful place to explore on foot or bike.