My first ever TB put out and its already missing

itsLYNDZ

I just put out a TB and it is already missing. People who have visited the cache say there are no TB in it and there are no logs of it being taken. Im pretty bummed since this was my very first ever TB and first cache ever found. Spent $30+ making sure it had a tag on it and that it was well secured. So not a good start to my geocaching experience.

I know this happens to TB allot, but does it happen as much to geocoinsv

I had my very first TB taken/lost too! its very disheartening. I just learn't right there and then not to spend too much on TB or Geocoins. I still hope that is will show up one day - don't forget to mark it missing! So far i have not had a geocoin taken. Although i have gone to many a cache that has said there is a geocoin or a TB and when opened there is nothing in there!

Good luck please don't let it get you down too much - geocaching is a great hobby!

Our first TB made it 2 stops before ending up missing. But I'd never spend $30 on a tb. It's not a matter of if, but when it will go missing.

But....am I missing something? After your 2 'found it' logs, and your note, I don't see anybody visiting the cache after you, and you just dropped off the bugs yesterday!

I see no mention from anybody about your bugs being missing. And if you think your bug will see action within 1day then you could be disappointed in the whole tb process.

Here's my take on it.... for what it's worth.

The moon 'coin certainly looks to be something that would enjoy a spot on somebody's keyring....... just sayin'...

One of your TB's looks for all it's worth to be SWAG. I know, it has a TB tag and mission card, but we see tons of these in caches and to date, none have been a TB. Nothing wrong with that, but I see the possibility for a mistake here.... For one thing, it is terribly easy to remove it from the chain, even if the chain had been soldered closed.

The other TB looks fine, but as you may well discover, things that are pretty or cute sometimes have a habit of disappearing.

I'm not really a fine TB sender, either. All of ours sent into the wild are either confirmed or appear to be missing. Oh well, spring is here (well..... almost, for us), and new ones to be launched shortly. We've had mixed luck with them.... one dandy traveler that had acquired lots of miles.... until it returned to the U.S.(!!!!); a couple picked up by one-time cachers (never to cache again, apparently); and a couple that went bye-bye when the caches they were in disappeared.

Just so you know, not everybody is johnny-on-the-spot with their logging. It appears your trackables were placed 2 days ago (EDT). They could still be logged by somebody who is traveling and doesn't have a phone or computer to log it instantly.

It sounds like your three travel bugs/geocoin might still be in the geocache.

I looked at the site for that geocache and no one has logged a "Found" or "Did Not Find" since you dropped them off four days ago. Also, it looks like sometimes this particular cache will go a whole week until someone finds and logs it. It's pretty common that geocaches aren't visited for days.

Right after you said you dropped it off, there was a note posted by someone saying there aren't any travel bugs. However, how they word it sounds like they were "asking" visitors to verify if their travel bug was still there, not that they had visited the cache on that day. If they had, it's possible they visited it right before you went there but didn't type in their log until after you (since it was all logged on the same day).

I was just updating my personal tracking info on my travel bugs. Noticed a couple of my big travellers have come up missing. Didn't put two others on because they made it to one cache before going missing. I have a bunch out there so the fact that a few come up missing doesn't ruin it for me. I have like 3 more ready to be released and I didn't put too much money into my travel bugs in case these happened. It's hard to lose them but it's not as hard if you have a bunch out there traveling that may move.

I placed a brand-new TB into my own cache (tougher than just a park-n-grab cache). Within two days, the TB vanished without a trace, and the rest of the cache contents were not disturbed. Eight months later, my TB magically reappeared 400 miles away. Still it's not a very lively one, as traveling goes.

I don't fret over TB losses, it's more of a curious "Huh! Would ya look at that!" reaction as they briefly pop in an out of the universe.

Yup, no telling what happens to a TB when you leave it behind in a cache. I placed two geocoins in a cache below ground well above the arctic circle in late December, and I was the last one to visit. The coins are still there, covered in lots of snow and frozen to the stone it's hidden under. No point in complaining about mother nature. In a hundred years it'll all be forgotten.

In another scenario, I left a large geocoin in a cache in the woods. After a couple of weeks the coin emerged in a cache in Germany, although the cacher who dropped it off there hadn't been to the cache I placed it in and hadn't grabbed it from anyone in the meantime. A couple of days after that again, some local cacher picked it up from a cache a few klicks away from where I left it ... roughly 2000 kms (1200 miles) from Germany and with no drop logs in the meantime. Quite the mystery, huh?

My first TB went about 30 miles before someone swapped out the traveler with something completely different. At least they didn't take the tag! I retrieved my TB from the cache and after a few months I replaced the traveler (using airplane wire and super glue) and re-launched it. I am happy to say that TB now has over 35,000 miles on it in the about 2.5 years. The other two TBs I launched at the same time are both gone. One TB cache was muggled (at 6K miles), and one was picked up by a one cache wonder, who never cached again (about 400 miles).

It is hard to lose your first, but you never know when one will get some mileage! That said, I will probably mourn a good long while if the 35K bug goes missing before it comes close enough to home for me to retrieve it!

My daughter and I each released a bug in Hawaii, mine was picked up visited a couple caches then has been static in the hands of someone.

DD hopped over to California went to a cache and hadn't been heard from since. It's hard to lose them.

Good luck on yours.

My daughters. Was grabbed today and is moving!!!! :lol:

I just put out a TB and it is already missing. People who have visited the cache say there are no TB in it and there are no logs of it being taken. Im pretty bummed since this was my very first ever TB and first cache ever found. Spent $30+ making sure it had a tag on it and that it was well secured. So not a good start to my geocaching experience.

I know this happens to TB allot, but does it happen as much to geocoinsv

Hi my first and only TB has only been going a short while and also gone missing had been following it then stopped in a cache for a while then a cacher has taken, signed the log but not looged it on geocaching site they have left there names on log book but have no way of tracing them so frustrating!so maybe it will turn up somewhere lets hope they find it in there coat pocket and put in cache will keep me happy.

My first coin, Rainbow Bridge went missing after 2 stops. Then over 1 year later, it showed back up as being grabbed from the cache it had disappeared from. The grabber sent me an email that their sister had an inventory of coins that she had picked up to keep I guess and they took them from her and were going to be getting them all moving again. This was the end of December, and they still have my coin in their possession. I emailed them asking if they still had the coin, but they haven't replied, but I have seen that they have been actively caching most of the winter since they live in Floria. I had given the coin up and when they revived it, my hopes were raised that it would be moving again.

My first TB, went missing from the very first cache I dropped it in.

Guess, I don't have the best of luck placing TBs and coins. Maybe I should just stick to moving others along. :)