Filter for the most recent caches in my area.

ifen27

Hi, I'm a new cacher, and I would like to know if there is a way to filter/search so that the most recently placed caches appear first. I'm just wondering because I placed a cache two days ago , and only 45 minutes after it was published, it was found!

With a premium membership you can create a pocket query to do this. You can also set up notifications to be sent via text message or email as new caches are published.

Also, with a premium membership, you can sort searches by the placed column header (and thus, the newest are at the top).

Hi, I'm a new cacher, and I would like to know if there is a way to filter/search so that the most recently placed caches appear first. I'm just wondering because I placed a cache two days ago , and only 45 minutes after it was published, it was found!

In any list of caches on this site, you can click on the columns to sort by that column. If you click the "Placed" column twice (first click will sort with oldest first), it will have the most recent placed dates at the top. If there are any future events in the list, those will show up first because their dates are in the future. Below those will be the most recently placed caches. Keep in mind that this uses the "placed" date that the cache owner can define manually, not the publish date. If someone placed the cache months ago, but it only got published yesterday, it will be way down the list.

If you want a quick list of the newest caches in your state, there's a link on your profile page called "List newest in [YOUR STATE HERE]" in the right-hand bar.

In the case of your cache being found in 45 minutes, this is likely due to instant notifications. Premium members can use this feature to be instantly notified by email when a new cache is published. I found a cache 28 minutes after it was published last night thanks to notifications.

You're right, it's not in either of those places. But I have have basic account and that account can't sort.

They tend to not update pages on the Geocaching.com website often. But maybe this could be added to the Benefits of Premium Membership article. Image below shows the message when a Basic Member clicks on any of the sortable column links:

bbc5f0a5-5be0-46c1-841b-5f82a31ba277.jpg?rnd=0.8728452

In any list of caches on this site, you can click on the columns to sort by that column.

Sorting like this is a Premium Member feature.

Really? I can't find any mention of it on either Benefits of Premium Membership or Groundspeak Membership Comparison. If so, then I stand corrected.

Yes it is!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=175

9. Columns on Search cache pages are sortable. Clicking the Favorites Icon for example, will rank the caches listed by Favorite points.

In any list of caches on this site, you can click on the columns to sort by that column.

Sorting like this is a Premium Member feature.

Really? I can't find any mention of it on either Benefits of Premium Membership or Groundspeak Membership Comparison. If so, then I stand corrected.

Yes it is!

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=175

9. Columns on Search cache pages are sortable. Clicking the Favorites Icon for example, will rank the caches listed by Favorite points.

It is now, but it wasn't there when I posted. Notice the "[updated 30 March 2012]" tag under the title on that page. Someone at GS must have seen this discussion and added it.

As an extension of this... does anyone know if it's possible to also search by nearest and newest? I'd like to see newer caches that are within a reasonable distance to me. I live in Northern NJ so I don't really care about caches 90 miles away in Connecticut ya know? Any help?

As an extension of this... does anyone know if it's possible to also search by nearest and newest? I'd like to see newer caches that are within a reasonable distance to me. I live in Northern NJ so I don't really care about caches 90 miles away in Connecticut ya know? Any help?

You could do a search for NJ, then sort by the "Placed" column. Actually, when I just tried doing a search for NJ it was already sorted with the newest at the top. You can also do a search for caches within a certain distance of home, then sort by the "Placed" column.

You could do a search for NJ, then sort by the "Placed" column. Actually, when I just tried doing a search for NJ it was already sorted with the newest at the top. You can also do a search for caches within a certain distance of home, then sort by the "Placed" column.

Thank you!!! Didn't even know I could search that way. I had always just put in the zip code. Wow I feel silly.