Publication date

FrodeBS

CO's have no way (apart from "pestering" reviewers) to influate publicationdates for their caches. Is such a feature something we want or not?

I think that sometimes CO's wants to publish a cache at a spesific date, for exampe an aniversiary, a holliday, when a team is together, leapday and so on. I have heard that at least in my area some CO's ask the reviewers for specific publicationdates and that they sometimes adjust their personal schedule to accomondate this.

I know we are not guaranteed any time from we send a listing to it is published, but a feature to set a date at least one week in the future together with a warning that says that this date is not guaranteed because of the reviewing process and the chance the reviewer has to get in touch with you . The option might also be called "do not publish before date" to clarify this. If the cache is reviewed and approved before this date the cache leaves the reviewinglist for the reviewers and automatically gets published at that time. this might be helpfull for both CO's and reviewers.

Anyone that sees pros and cons on this topic?

CO's have no way (apart from "pestering" reviewers) to influate publicationdates for their caches. Is such a feature something we want or not?

I think that sometimes CO's wants to publish a cache at a spesific date, for exampe an aniversiary, a holliday, when a team is together, leapday and so on. I have heard that at least in my area some CO's ask the reviewers for specific publicationdates and that they sometimes adjust their personal schedule to accomondate this.

I know we are not guaranteed any time from we send a listing to it is published, but a feature to set a date at least one week in the future together with a warning that says that this date is not guaranteed because of the reviewing process and the chance the reviewer has to get in touch with you . The option might also be called "do not publish before date" to clarify this. If the cache is reviewed and approved before this date the cache leaves the reviewinglist for the reviewers and automatically gets published at that time. this might be helpfull for both CO's and reviewers.

Anyone that sees pros and cons on this topic?

I like this idea, but would it cause problems for the reviewers? I agree with the thought that editing would need to be locked between being reviewed and published too. It will be interesting to watch this and see if it develops

There would need to be a lower limit imposed on the possible dates when using this feature. What I mean is that cachers should not be able to specify that the cache should be published today, or maybe even tomorrow. This will just lead to cachers getting mad at the reviewers for not reviewing their cache fast enough. A cacher should only be able to request dates at least several days in the future, so the reviewers have reasonable time to review the cache. If you want it sooner than that, you'll just have to submit it without a requested date and hope the reviewer gets to it quickly.

You can request a future publication date now. just put it in a reviewer note when you enable the cache.

As The A-Team has said, given the 3 day time frame for reviewing caches, that requested date should be more then 3 days out.

Some of my point with this idea was to not bind the reviewer to sit by their computers at the specified time. As I understand the reviewers do as much as they can to accompany this but some CO's wants things published in the middle of the night or during their workhours. So the idea was to help reviewers do some "future publishing" at the times that suits them best.

A process like this maybe?

• CO starts new listing
  • CO checks the checkbox saying it's active
  • Reviewer reviews the cache page
  • Reviewer adds listing to a publishing queue which locks it
  • At scheduled time/date cache gets unlocked and published
    If desired publish date/time has already passed or no preference is specified, listing gets published immediately

This would be great for scheduling new caches to be published at Events ete or for a large series to be published in bulk

Mark

I think it was suggested once to allow COs to publish caches after they'd been approved by the reviewer. Then no one ends up having to retrieve a cache they've already placed because it didn't pass review, and those who are concerned about FTFers entering a park after hours can publish the cache whenever they want. Event hosts who want to publish caches for the event can do so right as the event starts, too.