How did this 'cache' get approved?

Gert

Hi folks,

browsing cache pages I 'stumbled' over this 'cache'.

To log it as a 'find' you just need to solve a riddle (which is reported to be from Albert Einstein). You don't have to go anywhere and can do it from home. Probably will find the answer on the internet (but I didn't check)

The 'cache' description is only in German (English version on request), but the riddle is one of those where you get clues of the sort

Person A lives in a red house.

Person B has a dog.

The cat-owner does not live in Paris but in a blue house...

The question is 'Who owns the fish and what are the coords of the town he's living in?'

Just besides mentioning the word coordinates I can't see how this has anything to do with geocaching. But there have been 31 'finds' since Dec 15 icon_wink.gif

I'm not asking for this cache to be denied or archived. I'm just wondering...

Gert

Short cuts make long delays.

and solved it long ago. When I solved it, it needed to be timed- under 30 minutes I think.

It would be easy to find the answer without solving- I could even find step by step explanations for the answer if needed.

A Geocache with any puzzle, where the puzzle answer IS the answer (instead of being part of the clue to a destination), should be denied. It belongs on a puzzle site.

ESPECIALLY a puzzle that has been published, popularized, and solved many many times over! icon_redface.gif

Probably just a lapse in having a German speaking approver handy. I'm sure it will be removed.

The puzzle is fun. Just doesnt belong here.

My .02

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

...[signed]unashamed and unapologetic "geocaching purist".

How do you define 'purist'? Do you only go after caches hidden deep in the woods? Only go after caches with canned food in them (like the first cache)? What about virts? or urban micros?

Don't get me wrong. If this cache doesn't require you to go anywhere except your pc, it should not have been approved and should be archived.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

How do you define 'purist'?...

Here's how I described it back in March. I haven't seen any developments since then to change my opinion.

In my opinion the essence of geocaching, as promoted and practiced on this website is this:

1. The cache "originator" identifies the cache location (or at least a starting point if it is a multi or offset) by posting the coordinates on the website.

2. The cache "seeker" navigates to the posted coordinates and attempts to "find" the cache, usually using a GPSr.

Even if a cache meets the single basic criterion (i.e. posted coordinates), it may still be disqualified from this site for other reasons, such as location in forbidden areas, commercial promotion, etc.

Innovators have expanded upon the original basic concept; in addition to physical caches, we now have virtual, photography, and NGS Survey caches, among others. But each of these have still met the basic criterion of using coordinates to which the seeker could navigate.

Some recent innovators have, whether intentionally or not, omitted the basic criterion or "reverse engineered" it. Rather than posting coordinates to which a seeker can navigate, they establish a new criterion (i.e. a McD's while on vacation, a hometown sign, etc.) and instruct seekers to select a location of their choice matching that criterion and later report the coordinates. In these cases, the coordinates have nothing to do with the seeker locating the cache.

In my opinion, caches of this type deviate from the established precedent to an extent that they are not legitimate caches and, therefore, should not be posted on the geocaching.com website. But I hasten to add and acknowledge that, as the "owner" of this site, Jeremy has the ultimate say in what is acceptable here.

You can read the whole discussion here if you're interested.

Worldtraveler

Thanks. I now understand your position. I don't completely agree with it, but that's cool.

I certainly agree that some control is necessary to weed out the one's that are not appropriate. I think the admins do a good job on those, even though some occasionally sneak through. That's the way it will alway's be. We briefly had one locally where you had to actually track down a specific vehicle in the course of its daily travels to log the cache. It made it through, but was archived by the admins soon after.

I didn't realize when I read your original post that it was really about your dislike for 'locationless' caches. Since that is not what this thread is about, I missed the connection.

Since the thread has already been derailed, I'll explain my position. I agree with you that 'locationless' caches are not in the same vein as other types. I'll even agree that I don't enjoy them in the same way as the others. I do enjoy finding a tricky one. I also like to go after the locationless ones if my local pickings are slim. My significant other actually won't come with me on hunts for 'regular' caches. She doesn't think these are any fun. However, she does enjoy tracking down the locationless ones.

Its all about fulfilling needs and desires. Sometimes regular ones do it, sometimes locationless ones do.

And another one that was just posted is a cache called "Rechts" that has nothing to do with caching and can be done from your room.

Although it does sound interesting, it would probably be more suited to be in a puzzle web site.

All these puzzle ones seem to be from Germans, which really doesn't surprise me, since they do have some mental problems. icon_smile.gif

Just kidding, my parents are German.

I am still trying to understand why some caches get approved and some of the better thought out ones do not.

Only God knows I guess.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (NOT Happy Holidays!)

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

And yet another German (luckily I can read German!) one that appears to be done from your computer..."SpyCam". Yes it is interesting, but whats the point if it doesn't get me out of the house.

Ok, a challenge to all people in Germany. I am going to Germany in the summer and would like to do some Geocaching and notice that there is a distinct lack of REAL caches located in the beautiful Black Forest (Schwarzwald). Instead of doing all these locationless/virtual, how about actually getting out of your house and placing some caches for me to find. There must be thousands of interesting places in the Black Forest to place caches!!!

Froliche Weihnachte

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Sad little stat-motivated sheep... yup.

I doubt that anyone with less that 50 finds is stat motivated. More likely, they are just trying to 'clear' their pages, which I can relate to.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"