Stumbling across an old cache which is no longer listed?!

After going for a walk yesterday around Calke Abbey, without my iPhone, and stumbling across a cache by chance, it was surprising to do a similar thing today.

We went over to Foremark Resevoir for a walk and cache, mainly to see if 'Cup of tea beside the sea' (GC1KQ1M) was really gone forever (which it sadly is), after messaging G-X a couple of times. At a point between where that cache should have been and where 'A Reserview' (GCA086) we strayed from the path to have a closer look at an intersting rock formation and tree, only to discover a test tube type cache which was disguised. It hadn't been found since 28/11/10, exactly a year and four months to the day, needless to say I logged it anyway, despite the fact it doesn't show up anywhere!

I have taken a photo of the disguised cache and taken a screenshot of the coordinates of the location too, but I'm not sure whether posting them up would be a good idea?

Any help would be much appreicated! :)

Thanks Markandlynn! How do you search for archived caches?

It was the first link by the way Rattys Adventure (GC1H7F9), turns out it's one of G-X's old caches.

It seems a bit odd though as on 12/17/2010 couldn't find it himself, and on 01/29/2011 he archived it, and I found the cache when I wasn't even looking for it!

Thanks Markandlynn! How do you search for archived caches?

It was the first link by the way Rattys Adventure (GC1H7F9), turns out it's one of G-X's old caches.

It seems a bit odd though as on 12/17/2010 couldn't find it himself, and on 01/29/2011 he archived it, and I found the cache when I wasn't even looking for it!

I just happen to have those in my GSAK database so just lucky, anything archived in the last 2 years wont be in my offline database.

...this shows why the website should have an archived cache search function

There are very valid reasons why being able to search for archived caches would be a good idea but this isn't one of them.

If all caches and/or logs were clearly labeled with their GC code it would be a lot simpler to identify dead caches :blink:

Mark

...this shows why the website should have an archived cache search function

There are very valid reasons why being able to search for archived caches would be a good idea but this isn't one of them.

If all caches and/or logs were clearly labeled with their GC code it would be a lot simpler to identify dead caches :blink:

Mark

Archived cache search.

Its never coming back so we can just try to help when the requests get posted on a forum, if it was available im sure the ninja's would of used it for thier mystery cache find

May be Archived on Groundspeak, could be listed on another site...

Edit to add.

Having found a cache that hasn't been found for more than a year, Delta68 has a ? cache/challenge called Resuscitator... Wonder if the find allows you to go for it? :unsure:

:laughing:

I just had a look on the cache page, but sadly I can't; 'Qualifying cache must be active (ie. not archived)'.

Thank you for letting me know though! :)

It was indeed my old Ratty cache which I thought was long gone.

This is a clear example of why cachers shouldn't use the train on thought that they know of a better hiding place for the cache.

As a cache owner, when maintaining the caches, you search the area around where you have hidden it an work out from that area.

It would appear that the container had been moved a fair bit from where it should have been. This is why I couldn't find it.

My thanks go to Forest Ninjas for taking the time to keep in contact with me about the caches local to that area but sadly, the Cup of tea cache is confirmed as gone and I have archived it.

Who knows, it may be found in a few years when someone looks for a new cache in the location.

BTW, I agree that the search for archived caches should be made available to PMs.

Profiles show all caches hidden by a cacher, including those that have been archived.

So if you know who the CO was you can always find an archived cache. Not exactly helpful, but it can pay dividends if you know someone had/has a lot of caches in an area.

Is it possible to take caches out of archive/unarchive them (or however else you want to word it!), or is it a case of; once it goes in, it never comes back?

In certain circumstances they can be unarchived, but it doesn't happen often and I'm sure is very much on a case by case basis.

Rgds, Andy