Montana software version 3.97 Beta

allory

Montana software version 3.97 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5679

Changes made from version 3.96 to 3.97:

Fixed issue with Trip Computer setup

Fixed issue with North Arrow map orientation toggle

Fixed inability to select turn/guidance information on map while in nuvi mode and navigating

Fixed issue resulting in bad point information on the map

Fixed issue with reviewing a list of multiple points from the map

Fixed 'Go' button on chirp details page

Fixed issue with charging indication when unit is fully charged

Fixed issue with list controls incorrectly appearing enabled

Fixed Photo Viewer when language is set to Arabic

Fixed issue with 'lock on road' setting not saving during a power cycle

Problems with this beta software may be reported to MontanaBeta@garmin.com

Suffering general instability issues when panning the map, checking map point data, etc. Nothing too far out of the historic norm for the Montana series.

Question, once upon a time, wasn't the date and time of creation of a waypoint logged on the GPS unit in the "Commments" field by default? I seem to remember there being a date and time logged as the default comment. There's no way really to check the date and time a waypoint was created besides looking at the calendar, and even then you only know the date. Even in BaseCamp you can't even see the day it was created. Date/time data is super important when performing biological fieldwork.

I guess I could fumble around and input date/time data manually but is there an automated way to log/view date and time info for a waypoint logged by the user? Do other Garmin units log this info automatically? Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Edited by yogazoo

Suffering general instability issues when panning the map, checking map point data, etc. Nothing too far out of the historic norm for the Montana series.

Mine behaved pretty good yesterday. No problems with panning the map. Only one crash when trying to open a geocache description.

There's no way really to check the date and time a waypoint was created besides Even in BaseCamp you can't even see the day it was created. Date/time data is super important when performing biological fieldwork.

The waypoint's creation date&time are stored in the Waypoint_DD-MMM-YY.gpx file.

I had a problem with my map being blank in automotive mode. Actually, when I started my unit, the map was fine while I was in a driving mode but it was a 2D map rather than the tilted 3D map. I checked my settings and it was set to NORTH UP so I changed it to AUTOMOTIVE MODE and when I went back to the map there was a blank map (all the borders were there and it did know what street I was driving on) but the map was blank. I fiddled around turning maps off and on and did something else and it eventually came back. I'll have to try and reproduce it before I send an email on it.

I don't see anything in the release notes about them fixing a problem I had - and they haven't fixed it. I wanted to set the power button "double click" to lock/unlock the display. When I go do that, and get down a few menu levels in trying to do that, the screen hangs. Guess they are still scratching their head on that one.

Anyone know if the marine mode OFF COURSE alarm should work when you are hiking a TRACK and get off on the wrong trail? I was hoping that would alarm me but it doesn't. montanabeta@garmin.com didn't want to answer that question when I included it with a bug report.

The beta team got back to me too, about my OFF COURSE alarm for a track versus a straight line in marine mode. For now, it only works for a straight line but they may consider it for the future. They must be catching up on the Montana discussions here today.

Anyone know if the marine mode OFF COURSE alarm should work when you are hiking a TRACK and get off on the wrong trail? I was hoping that would alarm me but it doesn't. montanabeta@garmin.com didn't want to answer that question when I included it with a bug report.

The beta team got back to me about my date/time question regarding waypoints. You CAN view the date and time on the GPS but you'll have to tap on the waypoint from the map screen. While not terribly direct, workable.

I was checking this out and found that selecting the waypoint in the waypoint manager and then selecting view map was an easier way to select the waypoint.

The beta team got back to me about my date/time question regarding waypoints. You CAN view the date and time on the GPS but you'll have to tap on the waypoint from the map screen. While not terribly direct, workable.

I was checking this out and found that selecting the waypoint in the waypoint manager and then selecting view map was an easier way to select the waypoint.

True that. Thanks Bullkygoat!

I was driving around town and brought up the 3D map and noticed that it seems to always be in North Up no matter what direction I am driving. I need to investigate this further though. Just made the observation yesterday and haven't had time to mess around with it more.

FYI - The "Track Distance" field only resets when you clear the tracklog from the "Reset" menu. If you clear the tracklog from the "Track Manager" menu it DOES NOT reset the "Track Distance" field, that includes when you save a tracklog and it asks you if you want to clear the tracklog afterward. Bogus man.

This is a pretty obscure bug that's probably going to be hard to describe. The end result is an unexpected power off of the device when you click on a menu option.

1 - Select Track Manage

2 - Select Archived Tracks

3 - Pick an archived track that has something useful in it (not one that just dithers around in one spot)

4 - Click "View Map" to verify that the track selected in step 3 has something worthwhile in it

5 - Hit the back arrow

6 - Select "Elevation Plot"

7 - I scrolled to a peak just to see where that peak was - you probably can scroll around to anyplace you like

8 - Hit the menu button (the three horizontal bars)

9 - Select "View Map"

10- Drag the map around until the red pin is on top of a point-of-interest or a waypoint

11- For the selected POI/waypoint, did a menu button show up to the right of the POI/waypoint box on-screen? If not, go back to step 10

12- Hit the menu button on screen (not on the side of the side of the screen)

13- Usually two options show up at this point - tap on either one and the device powers off

I powered up again, went to the map, and dragged the map over to the same POI/waypoint and did steps 11-13 and it did NOT power off that way.

I've copied pasted the above into a bug report to montanabeta@garmin.com

This is a pretty obscure bug that's probably going to be hard to describe. The end result is an unexpected power off of the device when you click on a menu option.

1 - Select Track Manage

2 - Select Archived Tracks

3 - Pick an archived track that has something useful in it (not one that just dithers around in one spot)

4 - Click "View Map" to verify that the track selected in step 3 has something worthwhile in it

5 - Hit the back arrow

6 - Select "Elevation Plot"

7 - I scrolled to a peak just to see where that peak was - you probably can scroll around to anyplace you like

8 - Hit the menu button (the three horizontal bars)

9 - Select "View Map"

10- Drag the map around until the red pin is on top of a point-of-interest or a waypoint

11- For the selected POI/waypoint, did a menu button show up to the right of the POI/waypoint box on-screen? If not, go back to step 10

12- Hit the menu button on screen (not on the side of the side of the screen)

13- Usually two options show up at this point - tap on either one and the device powers off

I powered up again, went to the map, and dragged the map over to the same POI/waypoint and did steps 11-13 and it did NOT power off that way.

I've copied pasted the above into a bug report to montanabeta@garmin.com

I can confirm that this happens on my unit too.