Geo-tagging Camera Suggestions

Hello all. I'm looking for suggestions on a good quality point and shoot camera that's relatively weather and shock proof with geo-tagging capabilities. Ideally, I'd like to spend around the $300 mark. Is anyone using this type of camera? Do you find it handy and worthwhile? Thanks in advance.

Hello all. I'm looking for suggestions on a good quality point and shoot camera that's relatively weather and shock proof with geo-tagging capabilities. Ideally, I'd like to spend around the $300 mark. Is anyone using this type of camera? Do you find it handy and worthwhile? Thanks in advance.

Pentax Optio WG-1

I do not own one, but know someone who does and they like it.

Here is a link to a pretty good camera review site. You can specify the features you want (e.g. gps). I plan to purchase a P&S camera this year and the Sony Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V interests me. It has gps and built in panoramic software. I have seen the panoramic feature on my son's Sony and it is much better than photostitch with my Canon S5is.

Adding shock-proof and waterproof narrows the field considerably and you would likely have to increase your $$$. As of this am; Fujifilm FinePix XP150, Nikon Coolpix AW100, Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 and Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS. Let us know which camera you eventually get and a user review.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

Pentax Optio WG-1

I do not own one, but know someone who does and they like it.

I do own a WG-1 and find the gps is best turned off so it doesn't kill the battery. And then when I do turn it on, it takes forever to lock onto satellites. It's a fun camera but the gps part sucks.

But the WG-2 supposedly has better battery life and a gps which connects faster...

Think about the Oregon 550 GPS with camera...... Pics are comparable with most point and shoot dedicated cameras, and the pics are automatically geotagged. With the GPS recorded track, my Expert GPS software(by Topografix)records where the pic was taken (by the GPS camera) on the track and also the direction from that spot that the camera was facing. I don't believe that you'll have that last feature with a dedicated camera. Just my 2 cents.....

I would suggest the Nikon COOLPIX AW100. It's waterproof, shockproof, and has built in gps with maps. Most sites have it right around the $300 mark.

Some of the features include:

16 megapixels

Waterproof to 33 feet

Shockproof to 5 feet

Freezeproof to 14F

1080p video recording

Built-in GPS, mapping and electronic compass

Geotag photos

I would suggest the Nikon COOLPIX AW100. It's waterproof, shockproof, and has built in gps with maps. Most sites have it right around the $300 mark.

Some of the features include:

16 megapixels

Waterproof to 33 feet

Shockproof to 5 feet

Freezeproof to 14F

1080p video recording

Built-in GPS, mapping and electronic compass

Geotag photos

I just got one of these and I like it. Once I get a bit of practice, I am sure I will loike it even more.

It does take a minute or two to lock on satelites, but that decreases the closer you are to the most recent location you used it.

I also like my Montana... it's the size of a brick, not as good of pictures and fewer photography options, but it takes adequate pictures and it holds over 10,000 geocaches.

Think about the Oregon 550 GPS with camera...... Pics are comparable with most point and shoot dedicated cameras, and the pics are automatically geotagged.

There is no way that pictures out of the Oregon would even come close to the quality of a mediocre point and shoot camera. And the Montana's camera is not even as good as the Oregon's. But you don't buy a gps for the camera, just like you don't buy a camera because you're looking for a gps. <_< Each function is secondary to the device's main purpose.

I actually really like the pictures out of the WG-1. The pictures out of the Oregon and Montana are acceptable as waypoints, but they're not great pictures.

And yes, I do have an Oregon 550, a Montana 650 and the Pentax Optio WG-1 so I can compare all their images.

Think about the Oregon 550 GPS with camera...... Pics are comparable with most point and shoot dedicated cameras, and the pics are automatically geotagged.

There is no way that pictures out of the Oregon would even come close to the quality of a mediocre point and shoot camera. And the Montana's camera is not even as good as the Oregon's. But you don't buy a gps for the camera, just like you don't buy a camera because you're looking for a gps. <_< Each function is secondary to the device's main purpose.

I actually really like the pictures out of the WG-1. The pictures out of the Oregon and Montana are acceptable as waypoints, but they're not great pictures.

And yes, I do have an Oregon 550, a Montana 650 and the Pentax Optio WG-1 so I can compare all their images.

Dr J & MH,

It kinda depends on if the user is going to enlarge the photos or just e-mail them to friends (at 640X480) or use them to ref a location along a track.

Hey, since you have both....in your opinion are the pics from the Montana really not as good as the Oregon's? Even though the M's are higher pixel count? That surprises me. I'm not disputing you, it just doesn't seem logical.

Edited by Grasscatcher

Dr J & MH,

It kinda depends on if the user is going to enlarge the photos or just e-mail them to friends (at 640X480) or use them to ref a location along a track.

Hey, since you have both....in your opinion are the pics from the Montana really not as good as the Oregon's? Even though the M's are higher pixel count? That surprises me. I'm not disputing you, it just doesn't seem logical.

Yes, the Montana camera really is not as good as the Oregon, IMHO. I generally liked the photos from my Oregon but the Montana, not so much. They're just a little muddy, if you know what I mean.

And I do agree, at 640 X 480, sending snaps as email attachments, they are "ok". But I'm used to the quality of the camera in my iPhone now, so I'm spoiled.

Your statement is certainly true TODAY. But must it always be so?

My favorite GPS/camera is a Nuvi 295W, think NuviFone. It has all the Garmin GPS features we expect, but a terrible daylight screen and a so-so 3MP camera. The smartphone size makes for perfect chest pocket carrying and it accepts all Garmin maps including 3rd party topos.

I'm currently looking at a Canon SX260, 20X Zoom, GPS geotagging AND logging. All the whistles & bells from a modern P&S. I'm sure the battery life will be poor, but they're cheap, $3 on eBay.

But, and a BIG but, no Garmin maps. Sure wish Garmin would create a real camera/GPS with maps.

I can wish.

Your statement is certainly true TODAY. But must it always be so?

My favorite GPS/camera is a Nuvi 295W, think NuviFone. It has all the Garmin GPS features we expect, but a terrible daylight screen and a so-so 3MP camera. The smartphone size makes for perfect chest pocket carrying and it accepts all Garmin maps including 3rd party topos.

I'm currently looking at a Canon SX260, 20X Zoom, GPS geotagging AND logging. All the whistles & bells from a modern P&S. I'm sure the battery life will be poor, but they're cheap, $3 on eBay.

But, and a BIG but, no Garmin maps. Sure wish Garmin would create a real camera/GPS with maps.

I can wish.

Even the 295W has a better camera than the Montana. We also have a a 295W too. That gps is on the dash of my wife's car and it's really useful to take snaps on the go. We've snapped Ferraris stuck in front of us in traffic jams, that kind of thing.

Have you, or are you aware of anyone that has, asked Garmin "Why the difference?".

Their reply?

We haven't asked :laughing: - the camera is a utility to me - nothing more. I have the Optio, iPhone and a DSLR if I want good pictures.

But someone should ask the question.

Wow, that's really great of you to take the time to post the differences in photo quality. I'm leaning toward the Optio-WG-2GPS which apparently has improved reception over the WG-1. And everything I've read about it is very positive. Thanks again!

You may want to spend just a little more for a GPS that takes pictures along a route and then it takes the guess work out of where you were when the picture was taken