In Vehicle GPS Under Threat from Feds

There has been a lot of noise lately about the amount of backing from the Feds and the fact the legislation is moving forward that would effectively ban GPS in vehicles. The basis for this is none sense and in fact banning GPS in vehicles would actually cost lives as people get into traffic and are not aware of where to drive to etc. As a cop of 16 years + I have never encountered or heard of crash caused because someone was using a GPS, however the legislation intends to classify GPS use as a distracted driver device. This needs us GPS users to follow the legislation carefully and let the legislators know this is highly unacceptable and dangerous to drivers. See below taken from an MSN article today:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/27/10885768-new-guidelines-may-restrict-in-car-gps-gadgets

As federal regulators move forward on plans to put new distracted driving regulations in place, it’s quite possible that future rules would bar the use of in-car navigation systems – at least as we know them today.

In fact, many of the basic features that buyers are coming to expect – and that manufacturers are pushing, much to the delight of their accounting departments – could be severely restricted or even barred entirely.

Research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contends that of nearly 900,000 crashes reported to police, 17 percent involved some form of distracted driving. Of that figure, 3 percent, or 26,000 crashes, involved “a device/control integral to the vehicle,” according to NHTSA. That could cover anything from a poorly placed switch for an SUV’s rear windshield to the controls for a 14-way power seat.

People would still use their gps.... But would take it out of the window and move it lower out of site. This would cause more accidents .

Before they ban GPS's they need to ban blondes in SUV's talking on the cell phone.

My own closest encounter was with the vehicle of a male driver in his 30's with black hair and a cell phone glued to his ear.

I have had close encounters (no direct contact yet) with a number of distracted drivers over the years. None was using a GPS, but one was using a mascara brush and another reading a newspaper.

Austin

Edited by AustinMN

Using a handheld mobile phone whilst driving is banned here in the UK - and yet even so, people continue to drive whilst yakking away on their mobiles.

I think there may be studies published which demonstrate that appropriate use of in-car GPS actually results in safer, more fuel-efficient driving.

One thing is for sure. The public voting that is at the end of that brief does give a loud and clear message.

They think it is asinine to consider the banning of onboard Navigation systems in vehicles.

For my own perspective I agree. Although the TomTom One was lousy for geocaching it was great when ever my wife and I recently went to visit our son that was getting married. Yes, I did have paper maps (and know how to read them) with us, and used that as a basis to plan our route. But the TomTom One was very helpful enroute and the voice cues were great.

Newer models IMHO are ever better and once again IMHO can make driving even safer. I mean good grief from what I have read they can even tell you about what lane you need to be in when there is an upcoming change of direction and can even tell you traffic conditions and reroute you to a clearer road. To me that makes driving safer when you are going on a route that you are not familiar with. The Interstates around biog cities can be very confusing.

They brought in distracted driving legislation here in New Brunswick, Canada last year. when i first read the bill, it was pretty draconian. Fortunately, the Police have chosen it seems to follow the spirit rather then the letter of the law. Basically, no touching of gps, cellphones, dvd players ( those can't even be in their view while driving) or other entertainment devices when the vehicle is in motion. CB radios can only be used by professional drivers, ie, taxi, ambulance, police and truckers.

I upgraded my garmin auto GPS to the voice controlled 3790LMT. Sadly, the traffic functionality lacks voice control but the rest works well. The only hitch i find with the hands free Bluetooth on my iPhone is sometimes the phone doesn't get that the call has terminated and I have to touch the screen to manually terminate the call.

There has been a lot of noise lately about the amount of backing from the Feds and the fact the legislation is moving forward that would effectively ban GPS in vehicles. The basis for this is none sense and in fact banning GPS in vehicles would actually cost lives as people get into traffic and are not aware of where to drive to etc. As a cop of 16 years + I have never encountered or heard of crash caused because someone was using a GPS, however the legislation intends to classify GPS use as a distracted driver device. This needs us GPS users to follow the legislation carefully and let the legislators know this is highly unacceptable and dangerous to drivers. See below taken from an MSN article today:

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/27/10885768-new-guidelines-may-restrict-in-car-gps-gadgets

As federal regulators move forward on plans to put new distracted driving regulations in place, it’s quite possible that future rules would bar the use of in-car navigation systems – at least as we know them today.

In fact, many of the basic features that buyers are coming to expect – and that manufacturers are pushing, much to the delight of their accounting departments – could be severely restricted or even barred entirely.

Research by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration contends that of nearly 900,000 crashes reported to police, 17 percent involved some form of distracted driving. Of that figure, 3 percent, or 26,000 crashes, involved “a device/control integral to the vehicle,” according to NHTSA. That could cover anything from a poorly placed switch for an SUV’s rear windshield to the controls for a 14-way power seat.

I may be wrong but between the auto manufacture's and GPS manufacture's lobbyists I can't see it happening, too much money to grease palms.

People would still use their gps.... But would take it out of the window and move it lower out of site. This would cause more accidents .

Before they ban GPS's they need to ban blondes in SUV's talking on the cell phone.

It's already banned in NY. Hasn't stopped anyone.

Perhaps it's a last ditch attempt by LightSquared to survive... simply get all GPS use banned a bit at a time then bingo you can all have even more expensive mobile devices to distract you... :rolleyes:

More likely it's just an attempt to look like a politician is actually doing something in order to get re-elected.

I loved the guys who tried to get the US Federal Government to ban / restrict the use of di-hydrogen monoxide as being overly dangerous to the public... that was a classic.

Or when another group made their first pass at banning scanning radios that could receive cellular phones... eventually they got it a lot better, but that first attempt actually would have resulted in banning cellular phones as well the way it was written.

Canada simply suggested that cell companies go digital (which they did), and added some regs that make revealing what you heard on any radio to a third party a strong no no. Not even supposed to discuss it with the person sitting next to you who was listening as well.

Broadcast radio and amateur bands were exempt. Now the US rules ban scanners on cellular frequencies, but have added so many new bands that there are many out there that cover the new ones... but since all are now digital you can't hear anything anyway.

One big problem with the distracted driving push... is the lack of a consistent code... At least the US effort there is at a federal level. Canada is getting a patchwork of provincial laws... many are worded quite differently. In BC most any 'push to talk' microphone radios (has to have a microphone on a cord, not a hand held radio in hand) are exempt, but the law is for hand held device restrictions plus some things. Basically a don't use handheld devices (including GPS) while driving law. Alberta has a more specific don't do anything but drive law (anti distraction), but I'm not sure about mounted GPS devices or for that matter microphone activated radios yet.

I don't mind the anti distraction part, and can wait to pull over most of the time to check where I am, or just hand the GPS to my passenger. Don't have any mobile phone or device. And of course the local police love to stop Albertan visitors for just about anything, and do so regularly (mostly with good cause).

Doug 7rxc