Permanent LEGO Sculptures

Hi everyone:

Our group began discussions for a category of permanent LEGO sculptures. Some of these sculptures were submitted to the Figurative category, but do not meet that category's requirements. Interest was expressed in the creation of a LEGO category - so our group began the process. However, the Forums for Waymarking ran into problems at the same time - so there was not too much discussion.

We do not want to submit a category to vote without discussion. Rough ideas for the category are that the sculptures must be made from LEGOs (well, duh!); the sculpture must be a unique creation - not from a LEGO kit; the sculpture must be permanent and on display to the public at regular hours (for instance, in a zoo or theme park); the sculpture must display complexity and/or magnitude (in other words, a LEGO sculpture of a simple building would probably not meet the category requirements but a sculpture of an entire downtown area probably would.

Here are some examples of permanent LEGO sculptures:

http://misc.righttouchcmt.com/LEGO01sm.jpg

http://misc.righttouchcmt.com/LEGO011_Phil_Zoo.jpg

P.S. Just learned that there is a limit of the number of media files one can post as examples - so only posted two photos.

Edited by Outspoken1

My questions is, "Are there enough of these to justify a category?" I take pictures of just about every sculpture I see, but have never run across one of these anywhere I've traveled. I suppose there's no real way to determine permanence, but it seems to me these types of constructions might be more prone to be transient than, say, a bronze or granite sculpture. Definitely cool objects, though!

To address the question of Prevalence:

There are permanent LEGO sculptures at several zoos in the US; there are several perms in Germany; yes. many are from LEGOland - but many are also at other public areas. I could cite prevalence in several categories (ex., gasometers) but the real issue is the discovery of items that 'grow' a category. I think sometimes we get too fixated on numbers instead of quality. I never even knew what a carillon was until the category was created.

When I wrote of the limited number of photos (actually, URLs to the photos) - I meant that the forum protocol only allowed me to put two or so in a forum post - not that there were not more photos. I tried to give 6-8 URLs and was told by the software that there were too many URLs.

I am proposing this category because several LEGO sculptures were submitted to Figurative Public Sculpture and do not fit the category description, so they had to be declined. Just as the Silhouette Sculpture Category was created (due to declines in Fig), I am only trying to help give a 'home' to others Waymarking discoveries.

Take care,

Outspoken1

The question has been raised about limiting the number of LEGO sculptures in a LEGOland Park that a specific Waymarker may submit so that others may have a chance to submit some original Waymarks. We would like to ask for feedback on this. Personally, I understand the desire to be able to submit Waymarks instead of just a visit - but in reality, every Waymark can only be submitted once (maybe in a variety of categories; but still only once). After that, it is a visit. Further, I cannot think of any reasonable way for the officers to manage this.

The issue of limiting the number of Waymarks allowed by a Waymarker came up a looong time ago for the Figurative category. It was resoundingly thought to be a detrimental and unenforceable requirement. I want to raise this issue of limiting the number of Waymarks allowed to a Waymarker at a LEGOland to the membership in case there is a concern by the overall membership that needs to be addressed.

Thanks so much for your constructive feedback!

Take care,

Outspoken1

Hey, everyone - we are in Peer Review!!!!!!

As you know, we have had this category in the Forums (both the old Waymarking and the new Geocaching location) for discussion for several months.

I created this category to give a home to the elaborate LEGO sculptures that currently do not have a place to be posted. They do not meet the Figurative criteria, thus this category proposal.

I hope we may have your support and 'Yea' vote!

Thanks, Outspoken1

The question has been raised about limiting the number of LEGO sculptures in a LEGOland Park that a specific Waymarker may submit so that others may have a chance to submit some original Waymarks. We would like to ask for feedback on this. Personally, I understand the desire to be able to submit Waymarks instead of just a visit - but in reality, every Waymark can only be submitted once (maybe in a variety of categories; but still only once). After that, it is a visit. Further, I cannot think of any reasonable way for the officers to manage this.

The issue of limiting the number of Waymarks allowed by a Waymarker came up a looong time ago for the Figurative category. It was resoundingly thought to be a detrimental and unenforceable requirement. I want to raise this issue of limiting the number of Waymarks allowed to a Waymarker at a LEGOland to the membership in case there is a concern by the overall membership that needs to be addressed.

Thanks so much for your constructive feedback!

Take care,

Outspoken1

My thought is that for a Legoland that a waymarker should be limited to one per Legoland. Given the number of waymarkers, particularly those of us with kids, it would be great to be able to waymark a Lego sculpture and not have a single Legoland taken over by one waymarker.

We would like to thank everyone for voting to make this a new category. Per discussion from the Peer vote, we have added the following:

"Please limit submissions to two (2) creations per person at each location (most commonly a LEGOLand), meaning multiple Waymarkers can each submit two pieces at the same location." (paraphrased from the Woodmen of the World Markers category - thanks!!)

Now go find those LEGO pieces!!!

Outspoken1