Milestone Traditions

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but I needed to figure it out. Does anyone know if there is a tradition for painting an ammo can for a 6000th find? Let me introduce the question better. There is this great cacher in our area who has been caching since 2002. He has found 5998 caches found and 300 hidden. We are ready to hide his milestone cache but we were wondering if there was a tradition for painting it like there is for a 1000th find and a 5000th find. It probably doesn't matter all that much, but then I got curious. :lol:

Thanks,

Troutonthebrain

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the forum, but I needed to figure it out. Does anyone know if there is a tradition for painting an ammo can for a 6000th find? Let me introduce the question better. There is this great cacher in our area who has been caching since 2002. He has found 5998 caches found and 300 hidden. We are ready to hide his milestone cache but we were wondering if there was a tradition for painting it like there is for a 1000th find and a 5000th find. It probably doesn't matter all that much, but then I got curious. :lol:

Thanks,

Troutonthebrain

Actually, I only have 5,916 finds and a measly 135 hides, but I'm honored anyway. Besides, I hardly ever get over to your side of town. :lol:

We are ready to hide his milestone cache but we were wondering if there was a tradition for painting it like there is for a 1000th find and a 5000th find.

I've never heard of such a painting tradition in our area at all. Many of the tribute/milestone caches I have found have been nothing different than a regular cache, just a nice description on the cache page.

Thanks,

Troutonthebrain

Actually, I only have 5,916 finds and a measly 135 hides, but I'm honored anyway. Besides, I hardly ever get over to your side of town. :lol:

You're a bit late on my tribute. I just passed 6000 finds and have my 300th find in the works.

Thanks,

Troutonthebrain

And you've "only" been caching since 2005. It's almost like he's talking about someone else. :ph34r:

Getting back on topic, if you want to honor a great local cacher with a hide then more power to you. I've seen silver and gold used for ammo cans and a few even have incorporated a little artwork on the outside.

I know of another local cacher or two who are going to be getting some ammo cans hidden in their honor. One is gold for his 5,000th find. The other guy is coming up on a much larger number. Do they make platinum spray paint???

We are ready to hide his milestone cache but we were wondering if there was a tradition for painting it like there is for a 1000th find and a 5000th find.

I've never heard of such a painting tradition in our area at all. Many of the tribute/milestone caches I have found have been nothing different than a regular cache, just a nice description on the cache page.

+1

+1

Here's the nicest one I've ever found:

12255694-9740-4547-b503-77f1c8cf6d43.jpg

Here's one I did:

a584b32b-319e-4470-87b1-360fa86105cb.jpg

Nebraskacache Gives out nice gold painted ammo cans to commemorate 1000 finds.

If they tried that in California they'd need a lottery jackpot behind them.

Coming up on 5K and thinking about where I'd like to notch that one. Maybe a Wherigo, just for the icon. Assuming I can get one to run without crashing.

Nebraskacache Gives out nice gold painted ammo cans to commemorate 1000 finds.

If they tried that in California they'd need a lottery jackpot behind them.

Coming up on 5K and thinking about where I'd like to notch that one. Maybe a Wherigo, just for the icon. Assuming I can get one to run without crashing.

A gold painted ammo can tribute cache is fairly common in my area as well. It looks like some areas have a silver can for 1000 and a gold can for 5000. I looked over the list of 5000+ finds in the State of New York on the cacherstats site and only recognized four names of cachers that live within 50 miles of me. I realize that the list is not complete, but there are only 37 cachers in NY with 5000 or more finds. Nebraska only has 6. There are almost almost 300 cachers with 5000 or more finds and almost 100 cachers with 10,000 finds or more.

Our local group used to do one for every thousand. Then more and more people started doing power runs and power trails. So before it got out of hand we agreed a golden ammo can for 1000 and 5000 and a custom letterbox stamp for 2500. No one has reached 10000 but we joked about having a retirement event.

If there is no local group and you want to take on all the cost then that is fine. But if there is a local group see what they do first.

For the cachers in my area who have posted: The cacher's name is rickrich. Caching since 2002. Thanks for the replies.

Rickrich would not have deleted your logs unless you said something very derogatory in them. I'd suggest you politely email him and ask about them, with the idea in mind that just perhaps they didn't get logged correctly in the first place. I've DNF'd quite a few of his caches over the years, and never had a single one deleted by him.

Whoops!! Uh, Rickrich would certainly appreciate the tribute! :lol:

Edited by knowschad

For the cachers in my area who have posted: The cacher's name is rickrich. Caching since 2002. Thanks for the replies.

Rickrich would not have deleted your logs unless you said something very derogatory in them. I'd suggest you politely email him and ask about them, with the idea in mind that just perhaps they didn't get logged correctly in the first place. I've DNF'd quite a few of his caches over the years, and never had a single one deleted by him.

ummmm - wrong thread knowschad...... :blink:

Keep track so well you should when so old you are! Hm!!

yoda.jpg

Keep track so well you should when so old you are! Hm!!

yoda.jpg

More like trying to read and answer posts during commercials, but the effect is the same.

I'd say don't do it. As was mentioned above, with some of the power trails available, 1000 caches (or many multiples thereof) don't necessarily mean anything, and there are plenty of people who hit such milestones but don't get tribute caches from the community, which can cause hard feelings.

With the proliferation of repetitive trails and caches in every parking lot, the numbers don't mean the same. A few years ago, one of our local cachers hit 10,000 and many of us throughout the region joined together to place a series of puzzle caches in tribute. But more of us have hit that number and it is no longer a major event. There has not been a "milestone" cache in quite a while.

The tribute caches that get placed in my area generally reflect hides rather than finds -- people who place caches that people enjoy may find a cache placed to recognize their style or simply to note their contributions to caching.

I'd say don't do it. As was mentioned above, with some of the power trails available, 1000 caches (or many multiples thereof) don't necessarily mean anything, and there are plenty of people who hit such milestones but don't get tribute caches from the community, which can cause hard feelings.

With the proliferation of repetitive trails and caches in every parking lot, the numbers don't mean the same. A few years ago, one of our local cachers hit 10,000 and many of us throughout the region joined together to place a series of puzzle caches in tribute. But more of us have hit that number and it is no longer a major event. There has not been a "milestone" cache in quite a while.

As is often the case when talking about raw numbers, it depends on where you live. According to your profile you're in California, which has the most caches in any state in the U.S., large metropolitan areas (thus more parking lots in which to place caches), and a proliferation of power trails both in California, and nearby Nevada. As a benchmark for a number of finds to be considered a milestone, it's not a very good choice as it's at the top of the list of U.S. states in terms of cache density. I live in a state (NY) that ranks third in terms of population, yet there is no proliferation of repetitive trails (thoe close thing resembling a power trail only has less than 200 caches). There are many U.S. states with far fewer caches than NY, and the majority of world countries which have fewer caches than the U.S. state with the lowest cache density. In most places in the world finding 1000 caches is a significant milestone and in many areas finding 100 would require traveling hundreds of miles. Whatever number is used as a milestone, I like the idea of a "tribute" or "achievement" cache placed for someone as it promotes that idea of a geocaching community. It's not so much about some cacher finding a specific number of caches as it is about local geocaching community recognizing the achievement of someone else in the community.

Just to say, in the case of the original post, we don't have many "power trails" within range though our density of caches has skyrocketed in the last couple years. The Honoree is a cacher who doesn't really do power trails nor does he do premium member only caches. He is in the game for the fun of it (and for exercising his brain by brute forcing puzzles! :laughing:) as well as hiding 300ish caches himself. So in his case we are hiding a tribute. In our area almost all 1000's milestones are tributed since, as I have said, there are few if any "power trails" within any reasonable distance. Thanks for all the responses.

In New Mexico, you get a gold painted ammo can at 5000 finds. We present it at an event and everyone signs a congratulatory logbook and those who want to, add small trinkets for the honoree. In addition, the previous 5000 achiever buys a 5000 find coin and presents it to his/her successor. We will be honoring our 24th 5000er this week. 10,000 is handled on an individual basis, no set item but various caching buds come up with ideas and an event. We'll decide about 25,000 when someone gets there.

If I find my 5,000th on Sunday I'll probably commemorate it with hiding a Snoogans Memorial Cache. Very fitting, I think.

You're doing it wrong. Somebody is supposed to hide one for you.

You need to look at the calendar. :anitongue:

Not anymore, I don't! :lol:

Okay ya lost me. What the whaaa? :unsure: <Where is the low flying plane emoticon when you need it?> :laughing:

If I find my 5,000th on Sunday I'll probably commemorate it with hiding a Snoogans Memorial Cache. Very fitting, I think.

Did he pass away or something?

Still here. Well, unless my plane crashed last Saturday and I'm existing in a warp bubble created by my own ego. It's pretty friggin' huge, so it might take awhile to collapse but it does explain the suction vortex I experienced on the way to work this morning.

Warp_bubble.jpg