Do you need to be a premium member to....

I was wondering if you need to be a Premium member to do the following things :lostsignal:

• Have a forum signiture? :sunsure:
  • Have it say something other than geocacher under picture :antenna:
  • Create pocket queries? :drama:
  • And filter geocaches on map using buttons on side? :cool:

If there is anything I forgot that I should know, please let me know! :omnomnom:

Of this list, the only real reason for PM is this:

Create pocket queries? :drama:

I was wondering if you need to be a Premium member to do the following things :lostsignal:

If there is anything I forgot that I should know, please let me know! :omnomnom:

Says he who has been "Unjustly Accused Since 1348"

Says he who has been "Unjustly Accused Since 1348"

I'd give it up for just one more PQ per day. I'd give up OT for the same.

Off Topic forum. Without being a premium member for at least a moment, the Off Topic forum is a fairy tale: a rumor, a story, a whisper, a phantom breeze carried on the wind by others, just out of reach, forever to be sought, but never to be seen.

Off Topic forum? What's that? Does anything interesting or fun go on there, or is it just a bunch of political arguments?

Off Topic forum. Without being a premium member for at least a moment, the Off Topic forum is a fairy tale: a rumor, a story, a whisper, a phantom breeze carried on the wind by others, just out of reach, forever to be sought, but never to be seen.

Off Topic forum? What's that? Does anything interesting or fun go on there, or is it just a bunch of political arguments?

Who knows? e24dfb02-762d-4b9e-9b1d-d17357929992.gif

You can also find "Premium Member Only Caches" which really are very different from regular caches in the following ways:

• They are epic adventures
  • They contain actual treasure
  • Are sought by only the rich and powerful elite of geocaching.com - the premium members
  • They contain the words "Premium Member Only"

There is a back-door way to log these if you aren't a premium member, but, well, it's just easier if you are a premium member...

Seriously though, premium membership is worth it - it is very inexpensive relative to the amount of fun in the game, and the premium memberships help keep things running smoothly.

You can also find "Premium Member Only Caches" which really are very different from regular caches in the following ways:

• Are sought by only the rich and powerful elite of geocaching.com - the premium members

There is a back-door way to log these if you aren't a premium member, but, well, it's just easier if you are a premium member...

Seriously though, premium membership is worth it - it is very inexpensive relative to the amount of fun in the game, and the premium memberships help keep things running smoothly.

The backdoor doesn't work for Platinum caches however! :ph34r:

The backdoor doesn't work for Platinum caches however! :ph34r:

Do platinum caches contain all the things that were crossed out?

Wow. Really want a premium membership now!!!

Anybody want to gift me one!!

Ha ha.

I CRACK MYSELF UP!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :lol::lol:

Basic members used to have signatures, but it got lost in a software changeover... It was requested to be returned, and no less than Jeremy himself said it was completed and in place, but sadly never was that anyone saw. Later it was requested for an update, but one of the Lackeys said it would never happen since it was for PM's only.

There is a simple way to do it IF you really need one (without PM) but most people don't care enough to worry about it...

Let me know if you do wish to know how (here, Pmessage or email via profile is good)... Trick works best from a computer, I don't know much about mobile devices, but think it depends on just what you have. I suspect that would be a bit more demanding. On a computer it is just cut and paste. The whole thing is not worth worrying about... most I've shown how try it then either join up or lose interest.

One thing that wasn't on your list, is the ability to see PMOCache Pages, for all the juicy descriptions. Basics get that "if you were a PM you could see the cache page" page. With the exception of 'unknowns' though it is entirely possible to locate and find PM caches, and of course you can easily log them through the maps display IF you know where the icon is...

PM is worth it though, but it really isn't for what many think it is... It should be to support the overall experience.

Doug 7rxc

Wondering why all the excitement about Signature Lines... Not really!

What about API? Thats the main reason I become a Pm again. GSAK and API = powerful! PQ doesnt cut it like API does.

I don't see PM benefit + third party software (that while useful has a steep learning curve) to be a selling point for PM benefits when the benefit all by itself is worth the price of admission.

Well, yes and no... It's more than just GSAK. A year ago I would have said that PQs were, without exception, the singular biggest benefit of premium membership for me. Today, it is really the API. My caching style has changed with the advent of really robust, refined API-based tools (in my case NeonGeo on the android, but there are others). Before 6 months ago, I would say that roughly 90% of all caches I found, I found as a result of a PQ that was loaded into GSAK and in turn loaded into my Garmin 60 and my dashboard Nuvi. Today, Easily 99% of all the caches I find, I find using data that was downloaded directly to my android using the API. The role of the PQ, for me, still exists but has declined rapidly.

So I would broaden the definition out and say rather than just PQs or just the API, the real benefit of premium membership is less restrictive access to very large volumes of cache data, regardless of which method you use to retrieve them.

I would also say though, that it doesn't matter to me whether GS is for profit, non-profit, whatever... I still like knowing that I am contributing to the infrastructure, and that my financial contribution is part of what makes all this work. Sure, I am blessed to be in a career track where my family isn't sacrificing by me shelling out the $30 a year... and in fact, knowing that I am also "sponsoring" free services to others that aren't so fortunate, is a big benefit of being a PM.

Basic members used to have signatures, but it got lost in a software changeover... It was requested to be returned, and no less than Jeremy himself said it was completed and in place, but sadly never was that anyone saw. Later it was requested for an update, but one of the Lackeys said it would never happen since it was for PM's only.

There is a simple way to do it IF you really need one (without PM) but most people don't care enough to worry about it...

Let me know if you do wish to know how (here, Pmessage or email via profile is good)... Trick works best from a computer, I don't know much about mobile devices, but think it depends on just what you have. I suspect that would be a bit more demanding. On a computer it is just cut and paste. The whole thing is not worth worrying about... most I've shown how try it then either join up or lose interest.

One thing that wasn't on your list, is the ability to see PMOCache Pages, for all the juicy descriptions. Basics get that "if you were a PM you could see the cache page" page. With the exception of 'unknowns' though it is entirely possible to locate and find PM caches, and of course you can easily log them through the maps display IF you know where the icon is...

PM is worth it though, but it really isn't for what many think it is... It should be to support the overall experience.

Doug 7rxc

Wondering why all the excitement about Signature Lines... Not really!

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

This was what I meant by any extra info.

Anyone want to gift me a membership???

Hahahahahahaha. Sad me.

I spent $15 for Off-Topic and $15 for the PQ's...the API is a recent addition that is a freebie for being a Premium Member!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

API????

API = Application Programming Interface

Basically a way to retrieve and send data to the vast Groundspeak data servers. Only if you are a trusted Partner. But many are benefiting from Apps created via the API.