I am very new to this!

TST87

Why isn't the cache where my GPS says it should be?

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

Forget Stealth:

I advise you to not try and be stealthy. That just attracts more undue attention. Instead be bold. Be proud of what you are doing - act as though you are doing nothing wrong (mostly because you aren't!!). Act as though it is your job to find that cache, a job you are very good at and proud to do. Find it. Sign it. Put it back and move on. Carry a clipboard and look professional - you'll blend into the background.

Tips for finding Caches:

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

i'm new to all this too. i got my GPS in the mail monday and found 2 caches that afternoon. went again today and found two more. just go do it! thats the only advice i received and thats what i did. have fun :D

oh and read everything on this website, if found every bit of info here very helpful

Edited by silva80

The thread here that helped me the most was one showing the devious nature of some of the caches..

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421

After seeing what it was I was looking for I started finding caches right away.

At first, look for larger caches and 1-3 star rated difficulty (lower the easier) and work up from there.

Get a friend/son/daughter/spouse. Its WAY more fun! (and adds a 2nd pair of eyes).

Don't go looking (at first) at dawn/dusk. Most caches are hidden decently and the low light will only compound things.

You need something that can function as a GPS. That can either be a GPS receiver you buy at a store or website (like here) or can be a smartphone that you can download apps on. If you already have a smart phone, grab one of the free apps to try it out (NeonGeo, c:geo, Locus (with free geocaching addon) all work well). Doesn't cost anything to try. Then if you think you will like this hobby, consider a pay app or a dedicated GPS unit like a Garmin.

Make up a bag of goodies to take with you. Inexpensive small toys and doodads work to get started. When you find larger caches, they will usually have stuff in them called swag. Take something, put something back of comparable value. Also pack a few ziplock bags, A 2x3 notepad, a couple pencils and a pen along. These are for writing in logs in the caches you find and also taking written notes of your own.

Welcome to your new addiction :)

Remember the 'KISS' principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. Try the easy ones first and see what happens. Even some of the easy ones can be very cleverly hidden. I have done nearly all types and most of the the difficulties and terrains. I have nearly 200 caches and have not done a 5/5 yet. There are several in the area and I may be finding one for my 200th cache! Some caches take multiple visits to find even for people who have 10,000 finds. When you get to harder ones don't be afraid to contact the owner if you want help. One of the most notorious hiders (150+ caches) in my area has given me his number if I cannot find his caches. I have found around twenty. Make sure to make circles around the GZ and expand the search area as needed. It's still amazing to me that I can walk right past a cache and come from a different direction and it jumps out at me...

Another thing that makes it much better is a partner or two. I go with another guy or two quite often, sometimes my Dad, and my Mom has done it a few times. As a pastor I have taken my youth group on some easy finds and it is really fun to watch the group search. I do go alone if I cannot get anyone to go but, it is not as much fun to not share the adventure. Good Luck!