Email address domain blacklist

Juventas

When trying to create an account, it returned, "We are not accepting email addresses from that provider". I tried a second address from my provider, then a third disposible address, then gave up. Almost.

I googled the message and found this thread from 2006. This worked beautifully, and my Geocaching account's primary email address is now the one I tried to sign up with in the first place.

I have used this email address for several years, and created accounts on hundreds of services. I have never had this problem before. Unless Geocaching is somehow in a unique situation with abusive accounts, they are excluding who knows how many people for no reason. At the very least, it's a bad business decision.

Pobox.com emails are blocked all over the Internet, not just here. Similar to hotmail.com (who would trust any email from that?)

There is no excuse nowadays not to run your own domain, with mail forwarding and never have this issue nor have to ever change your email address again.

Edited by firestars

Pobox.com emails are blocked all over the Internet, not just here. Similar to hotmail.com (who would trust any email from that?)

There is no excuse nowadays not to run your own domain, with mail forwarding and never have this issue nor have to ever change your email address again.

My only e-mail account, apart from work, is hotmail.com :huh:

My only e-mail account, apart from work, is hotmail.com :huh:

There's nothing wrong with having a hotmail account. Although I personally don't use it, I know many cachers that do (even in our area of the Black Hills) use hotmail as their geocaching email account. Don't let that bother you.

Cheers...

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

Not everyone is savvy enough to run their own domain and servers. Sure, you and I (and perhaps a few hundred others) can and do, but considering the vast range of experience out there in the geo world... I wouldn't count on it. :D

Edited by DadOf6Furrballs

We block creation of accounts from known problematic domains. We have no plans to change this in the near future.

Yes... that's what a domain blacklist is. Let me boil this down to two specific questions:

1) If I can use these email domains to create accounts with every one of the 100 largest websites, what is the unique problem that Groundspeak has that they don't?

2) If the blocked domains list is several years old, and no one has made plans to change it, can you really say that the reasons for each domain is still valid?

Groundspeak is literally closing their doors to millions of customers that are welcomed everywhere else on the Internet. I have my account, I have nothing more to gain here. I'm just trying to bridge your company with the millions of people who have never had a voice here.

We block creation of accounts from known problematic domains. We have no plans to change this in the near future.

Yes... that's what a domain blacklist is. Let me boil this down to two specific questions:

1) If I can use these email domains to create accounts with every one of the 100 largest websites, what is the unique problem that Groundspeak has that they don't?

2) If the blocked domains list is several years old, and no one has made plans to change it, can you really say that the reasons for each domain is still valid?

Groundspeak is literally closing their doors to millions of customers that are welcomed everywhere else on the Internet. I have my account, I have nothing more to gain here. I'm just trying to bridge your company with the millions of people who have never had a voice here.

gmail.com is free. gmail.com is not blocked. I fail to see how millions of customers are being blocked by Groundspeak. And for the argument that it requires a second email, well, what upstanding internet user doesn't have at least three or four?

No one claimed that they've been using the same exact blacklist for several years. That would be very foolish. Moun10bike stated that they block problematic domains. I'm fairly sure the list of problematic domains changes quite frequently, as required.

--Larry

No one needs an excuse to not run their own domain. It's like a personalized license plate-- they're nice but no one actually needs one.

You think? For a few pounds a year, I have unlimited email addresses, for myself and all the family, which will never need changing. My children will inherit their own @surname.co.uk address when they are older. The www contains a family portal. I can blacklist people sending me emails at the click of a button. I could go on.

Who is to say that gmail et al will not start charging in the future?

No one needs an excuse to not run their own domain. It's like a personalized license plate-- they're nice but no one actually needs one.

You think? For a few pounds a year, I have unlimited email addresses, for myself and all the family, which will never need changing. My children will inherit their own @surname.co.uk address when they are older. The www contains a family portal. I can blacklist people sending me emails at the click of a button. I could go on.

Ok. So what. Why does that mean that everyone has to have one?

Not to mention that most people are nowhere near computer-savvy enough to run a server.

Not to mention that most people are nowhere near computer-savvy enough to run a server.

Agreed. Maybe 1% of the people I know would either have the savvy or the inclination to set up and run their own mail server. I could do it myself (I helped maintain government mail servers before I retired), but there's no way I would want to bother with that now.

Sorry, but suggesting that the easiest solution to e-mail problems is to set up your own mail server strikes me as just plain silly, except for folks who really, really like to get involved in such stuff.

--Larry

Sorry, but suggesting that the easiest solution to e-mail problems is to set up your own mail server strikes me as just plain silly, except for folks who really, really like to get involved in such stuff.

Firestars suggested merely registering a domain (the part of the email address after the @) and forwarding the emails to those addresses to a regular email service. It's pretty simple, but for someone who doesn't want to bother, they don't need to bother.

Firestars suggested merely registering a domain (the part of the email address after the @) and forwarding the emails to those addresses to a regular email service. It's pretty simple, but for someone who doesn't want to bother, they don't need to bother.

You're right, I misread his suggestion. To me, setting up a new domain implies setting up a server, since I dealt with that stuff from a corporate/government point of view.

I'm still not at all convinced that most people, geocachers included, would want to go to the bother of registering their own domain to get around the problems in the OP. There are whole slews of other, free and easy, solutions.

--Larry