hello!

zarakikenpachi

hello everyone..i m new in geocaching and i have the c,geo app for android...i am trying to find a cach and see how the compass is wporking but when i enter a cash the compass is always saying trying to locate and the only thing i am seeing is the coordinates...however in some photos i saw and some metres(for distances)and i was thinking if the cash must be online or offlne to activate the compass or that doesn t atter...and what i can do t start my treasure hunting??:Pplease if someone can help me it would be great thx all :D

well it seems that since G.C. and C:Geo dosent work things out.. over some reason..

G.C. have blocked C:geo from using livemap funktion throug G.C.

Many of the nice funktions in c:geo have stoped to work..

But i Still use the c:geo as prime app in the phone since the app from G.C. sucks big..

miles from wath c:geo did have in funktion...

why is there no explanation that ordinary people understand why this exceptionaly app C:GEO

is banned from geocaching.com

Time To bury the hatchet over the proud i think...

if this post is cesured it shows how ridiculous this issue is....

well it seems that since G.C. and C:Geo dosent work things out.. over some reason..

But i Still use the c:geo as prime app in the phone since the app from G.C. sucks big..

why is there no explanation that ordinary people understand why this exceptionaly app C:GEO

Actually Groundspeak is not blocking the live map. Groundspeak had to make a change to the maps because of the ridiculous prices they would have to pay Google. Since c:geo decides to thumb it's nose at the Groundspeak terms of use and decided to scrape the map tiles from Groundspeak they can not now scrape what isn't there. Since the app is in violation of the terms of use for Groundspeak, discussions on this app are not widely encouraged. You should try the official app, many changes have been made and the folks I know are quite happy with it. Of course it is not free an broken, so you might not like that aspect. I suggest you go to the c:geo website to get the answers to your questions.

Actually Groundspeak is not blocking the live map. Groundspeak had to make a change to the maps because of the ridiculous prices they would have to pay Google. Since c:geo decides to thumb it's nose at the Groundspeak terms of use and decided to scrape the map tiles from Groundspeak they can not now scrape what isn't there. Since the app is in violation of the terms of use for Groundspeak, discussions on this app are not widely encouraged. You should try the official app, many changes have been made and the folks I know are quite happy with it. Of course it is not free an broken, so you might not like that aspect. I suggest you go to the c:geo website to get the answers to your questions.

okay then i have a bit more answers.. insted of non source explanations/guesses..

what the violation of the terms of use for Groundspeak i cant find (i'm just curious)..

But as yo wrote: taken away a funktion in the code (can not now scrape what isn't there)..

is the same as that the Groundspeak in a way is blocking c:geo funktions...

one of my geocache friend have the new official app and he's not happy with it..

as he say you cant miss something that you have't used..

so in a way loth of people are happy with it.. not thous hwo have used other..

but any way... Thanks for the answer.

now at least i know a bit more..

of something that seems to been quieted cos of no one seems spooken of it (at least i did not find it through lot of searches)..

Edited by eagle_69

In simple terms:

c:geo does not use approved methods to access cache data.

Groundspeak may see fit to make changes on their website, and when they do the approved apps will be updated accordingly, or provisions will be made so that they will still function properly.

Those apps that access the site in an unapproved manner may (or may not) loose functionality due to those updates to the site.

I doubt there is any intentional effort to block c:geo at this point, but just the same...if someone wants to camp on my front lawn (without asking), I'm going to turn the hose on them as often as I can.

c:geo is an app that accesses the site in a way that is not approved by Groundspeak. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how it works technically, but Groundspeak makes an API available for free that connects directly to the site to almost any developer that would like to use it. For whatever reason, c:geo refuses to use it and continues to access the site in a way that violates Groundspeak's Terms of Service. Unfortunately, what most people don't realize is that by using the app, they are in turn violating the Terms of Service.

If someone is not happy with the official app, Groundspeak has a list of approved apps for Android, Blackberry, iPhone and Windows Phones located here:

http://www.geocaching.com/live/default.aspx

Some developers charge for the apps and some give them away for free.

Edited by Skippermark
Edited to correct link