o-rings for decons?

I've wondered for some time whether adding an o-ring to a decon would make it watertight. A big question is whether the top would even snap shut if you added an o-ring into the channel. The second question is what size o-ring, if any, would fit. My measurements say the channel is 1/8" wide, so o-rings with cross-sectional diameters of 1/8", 3/32", or 1/16" might fit. By my measurements and calculations say the inside circumference is 8.36"; the equivalent inside diameter for sizing the o-ring is 2.66".

allorings.com has these sizes, which would be very close:

ID 2-5/8", cross-section 1/8", 3/32", or 1/16"

ID 2-11/16", cross-section 3/32"

ID 2-3/4", cross-section 1/8", 3/32", or 1/16"

I can post the spreadsheet I used to calculate these if anyone is interested.

The problem, at least ordering through allorings.com, is the minimum of 10 or 25 o-rings per size, and shipping cost starting at about $12 -- when I don't even know if it will work, nor what size is needed if it does work. Just to try the seven sizes listed above would cost a bit over $50. That's not unreasonable at all, but doesn't fit my need to sample and try. Those prices are for silicone; they also have EPDM, which is a lower cost per o-ring but a minimum of 25 each.

Enquiring minds want to know ...

Edward

I don't think that groove would accept an o ring and then still have room to accept the lip of the container. They weren't designed for one.

I used a lot of decons in 03 and 04, and those were dry containers ($1 each from a local army surplus). I still have a few of them out as caches. One is on the ground, under a fallen railroad tie fence post, a regularly found cache that remains dry - a minor miracle.

Those from the first bunch I bought weren't especially hard to open or close. Obviously, the person who closes the front and not the back seriously compromises the container, but failing to close properly isn't limited to decons.

None of the decons from later batches that I bought did nearly as well. The next batch was so tough to open that I often resorted to grabbing the edge with my teeth, and developed a two handed technique for closing the 4 corners - snap snap snap snap. They're wet anyway. Then a batch of black decons, that were somewhat easier to open and close, and wet anyway.

I no longer place them, and replace those that I own as they fail - with ammo cans where ever that's possible, and with lock and locks or matchsafes elsewhere. Or matchsafe in the decon - though being the first cacher in the Fall to open a decon that's been holding moisture all summer ain't much fun ;-)

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I've wondered for some time whether adding an o-ring to a decon would make it watertight. A big question is whether the top would even snap shut if you added an o-ring into the channel.

Half the decons I find either have cracked lids, or previous finders haven't bothered to/don't know how to/couldn't snap the lid closed without an O-ring - so adding the O-ring wouldn't be of any benefit.

When intact and closed properly, decons are weatherproof enough anyway, AFAIK.

Edited by dakboy

I don't think that groove would accept an o ring and then still have room to accept the lip of the container. They weren't designed for one.

My thoughts as well. Any o-ring small enough to not prevent closure will fall out and get lost. :(

You might consider a thin layer of RTV silicone (gasket maker) in the groove, but getting a smooth surface in there will be difficult at best...and will probably make the problem worse if it isn't smooth.

Since someone has to say it.... :unsure:

Put the decon in an ammo can and it will be fine. :lol:

I have a couple of ammo can caches with lock and locks in them. These are burnt cans, with compromised lid seals. They're well out from parking and off trail. The ammo can is easier to find for the hunter, the log is dry, and nobody who is finding this stuff gives a rat's patootey about swag. The lock and lock will last for years, inside an ammo can. (they're "hidden" by being hung at eye level from a tree, a very stealthy way to hide an ammo can)

You can use a decon the same way, with a matchsafe in it. I'm not sure why you'd do this with an Altoids tin, it'll still rust, once the decon interior gets wet.

How about a Lock & Lock in an ammo box

A smaller Lock & Lock inside it

A Decon inside it

An Altoids tin inside it

A large bison inside it

And a blinky iside it?

That's silly. Everyone knows that Altoids tins aren't watertight. Besides, where do I put the cookie tin?

Put the decon in an ammo can and it will be fine. :lol:

OK. Does anyone know a good source for cheap ammo cans? :ph34r: Oh, never mind, I think this is where I came in.

Edward

It's a ways from you, Edward, but you are in Florida, so if you get to the Space Coast, be sure to find GC15RQB

I don't see any gasket in the spoiler pics. It's probably wet inside. :P

I don't get farther east than Gainesville very often. Probably the last time I was in the area was almost 50 years ago, on a high school field trip to the Space Center. Maybe if I take up the Florida Counties challenge ...

Edward

To the OP: I have one Decon out as a cache and initially it was a leaker. I retrieved it and used an appropriately sized rubber band as a seal. I also coated the sealing areas with some Vaseline to help seal and reduce the opening/closing effort. I've had no wet log complaints since then and it's been over a year.

I have two more Decons and haven't used them yet. They are just so hard to open and close that I'm afraid cachers wont close them properly. On the one I do have out there, I drew arrows to the four corners and wrote "press here until lid clicks" or some such thing.

Bill

If you're bent on buying these o-rings, why not see if the .com will send you a sample for a small cost? Give it a try and then order in bulk if it suits you.

What about applying petroleum jelly or something to one side of the container and some RTV sealant to the other? You'll get a custom fit for each container.

Or, as others have mentioned, find a different container that doesn't require extraordinary effort to make suitable.

Yeah, I think the other opinions have convinced me that the o-ring isn't worth pursuing. It was sort of an old idea still rattling around in my head that needed closure. Interesting idea about rubber bands. But also decons are now far more expensive than the Therapak containers linked in another thread.

Edward