Decrypt this code?

madisonsmom

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I need help figuring out how to decrypt the following code in gc3809q.

Y32-2-5,F38-3-10,A10-2-1,E4-3-5mQ4-3-8,X13-3-4,K42-4-8,L3-2-9

is the first of three similar lines. I am not an experienced enough cacher to figure

out how to solve this code in order to get the next set of coods.

Can anyone give me a point in the right direction?

Thanks!

From the cache page

The fourth location is near a place important to Mr. Penney’s upbringing. You should visit it while you are here. But at the new location, you will find a lot of info from which you can divine the next stop in your journey. Doing so will be difficult if there has been recent snowfall. Here you go:

It looks to me like you need to go to the fourth location and get information to help you decode it. I'm not from the area so I can't help you beyond that.

Edited by Kacher82

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online. (You'll need to register on the GBA site to view these forum threads.)

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

I'm not looking for someone to solve the puzzle for me. I just wanted some general puzzle solving hints and tips. I intentionally didn't post all the lines of the encrypted code because I don't want the answer. I want to solve it for myself, I just needed a point in the right direction. Thanks to the cachers who understood that and to the cachers who think I've violated the terms of use, that was not my intention.

Welcome to the world of puzzle caches! You are much better off contacting the CO for hints. It is generally frowned upon to share puzzle solving hints on the forums. Good luck!

Not only frowned upon, but against the Terms of Use of the site.

So was my earlier post out of line? If so, I'm sorry. I didn't know that rule.

No, and don't let anyone make you think it was. The forums are a great place to turn to for help regarding all aspects of geocaching. But the person to go to for help on a puzzle cache is the cache owner. They can decide how much help they want to provide while still maintaining the level of challenge they intended, we can't cool.gif.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have about geocaching. smile.gif

No, and don't let anyone make you think it was. The forums are a great place to turn to for help regarding all aspects of geocaching. But the person to go to for help on a puzzle cache is the cache owner. They can decide how much help they want to provide while still maintaining the level of challenge they intended, we can't cool.gif.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have about geocaching. smile.gif

Nice post! :D

I'm not looking for someone to solve the puzzle for me. I just wanted some general puzzle solving hints and tips. I intentionally didn't post all the lines of the encrypted code because I don't want the answer. I want to solve it for myself, I just needed a point in the right direction. Thanks to the cachers who understood that and to the cachers who think I've violated the terms of use, that was not my intention.

Please do not feel like anybody is really coming down on you but figuring out what type of puzzle is involved is often the very key to solving it. Thus - that information is a dead give away to the puzzle.

In effect - figuring out what the puzzle IS - becomes the puzzle in and of itself, in many cases.

I have emailed a couple of times with the CO. He's a crafty cacher that I have encountered before. I can tell from his obtuse emails that he's not going to give me any help, just more smoke and mirrors which is fine, that is certainly his choice.

I hated to give up on this cache, that's why I asked for help with the puzzle solving aspect of it, the cache is in my hometown, I have walked to all the locations so far and I have successfully solved 4/5 steps. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm afraid it may take a while. Maybe if I just forget about it for a while, the light will come on.

Oh the agony. There's nothing like finally finding the final of a puzzle or difficult multi after weeks, months, or years stewing over it. Myself, I have been stewing over a puzzle for 8 months now. stewing.....

So as much as it blows right now not being able to solve this puzzle..stick with it. When you finally get it, it will be glorious!

I think Kacher82 is correct. After looking at the cache page, there are several steps to this puzzle (sort of like a multi), and you'll need to visit each location in sequence to pick up information. The portion you're asking about involves visiting "the fourth location", finding some information, then decoding it. This isn't anything any of us would be able to help with, even if we wanted (or were allowed) to.

Looking at the cache page, I don't think anyone could solve this puzzle from afar, anyway. It looks like all the steps are puzzles that are solved in the field. Once you figure out where the fourth location is, there should be something there that will make all those numbers and letters make sense and decode where the final is.

Or it might make you stand there and do this: :blink: