An acceptable time to do Maintenance  

ad5smith

Due to recently posted advice I would like to pose a follow up question...

What is a standard time for Maintenance . I have seen dnf logs on caches that are still there, I hid them so that they would be difficult, and a very experienced cacher couldn't find it. I went and checked on it and well it was still there.

So the question is if there are several dnf, notes or a needs maintance, should I just jump up and put everything to the side to check on my cache? What if the cacher that posted the logs are new and it really isn't missing?

Seriously though, I plan to check all my geocaches now that it's nice, but what is an acceptable time to do Maintenance  

I usually can go and at least check out the cache if there is a NM log. If there are several DNF's and I check the cache is still there I would put a "Owner Maintenance on it saying I checked it. If A cache is damaged or missing at least temporarily deactivate it so others know not to look for it. Since we don't have any nearby stores, it's not uncommon to wait for a month before replacement.

So the question is if there are several dnf, notes or a needs maintance, should I just jump up and ...

Several DNFs on a cache of some difficulty isn't cause to do anything. Going there, and logging that the cache is present will probably make the cache more attractive, but it's not a requirement.

Several DNFs on a cache that nearly always is found might = time to disable.

"needs maintance" - if it seems like a legit log, ie, damaged container for example, I'd try to get there fairly soon. "Fairly soon" means, when I can work it in. But probably in less then 2 months.

I try to visit my caches that have gone a year unfound, and post an owner maintenance note when I do. This to reassure cachers that those hides are present. I could not do that, and that would be okay too.

I have a couple coming up on 2 years unfound, unhunted in that period. I might get to those next week. The ammo can I figure is right where I left it. The small could be there, or not - critters carry those off.

It depends. It depends on the difficulty of the hide, but not the difficulty in getting there. Don't place caches that won't get properly maintained because of the hassle in accessing them.

It depends on the experience of the DNF'ers, it depends on the amount of time between finds as sometimes caches out in the woods that go a long period between finds can become more difficult as the natural camo becomes even more natural and deeper.

I have some caches I only visit 1-2x/year just to keep them fresh.

I have some caches that I would stop and check on with just 2-3 dnf's even from inexperienced cachers as they are not intended to be hard to find.

Depends on the cache. If it is a nice easy one, I may go take a look if I am in the area.

If it is a nice hard one I know is there, I ignore it.

I had one that is very close to my house get a log "If it's still there, we need a new hobby." I had the time, so I drove out, and made the quick walk to check on it.

Someone needed a new hobby.

It depends. It depends on the difficulty of the hide, but not the difficulty in getting there. Don't place caches that won't get properly maintained because of the hassle in accessing them.

It depends on the experience of the DNF'ers, it depends on the amount of time between finds as sometimes caches out in the woods that go a long period between finds can become more difficult as the natural camo becomes even more natural and deeper.

I have some caches I only visit 1-2x/year just to keep them fresh.

I have some caches that I would stop and check on with just 2-3 dnf's even from inexperienced cachers as they are not intended to be hard to find.

I'll take exception the the part I bolded. There are lots of great caches that will take most of the day to find. Might take me a month to schedule the time to do maintenance, if I feel it necessary. Very frustrating to take the time to find that it's still there. I'd rather be geocaching!

Other than that, I'll agree. Depends on the experience of the cacher who DNFed or NMed. And how easy the cache is/should be. If it's an easily accesible cache, I'll check after a week or two. If it's tougher, and depending on who raised the concern, I'll try to schedule a maintenace visit. Heck, I have some caches that I've never revisited in six years. And wouldn't unless I thought there were some serious problem. Far too many (how to put this?) inexperienced cachers who put NM or NA on a cache just because they could not find it. I'm sorry that you're stupid! Don't waste my time. If I had to visit my hides twice a year, I'd archive most of them. That would just leave my cache and dashes. Oh, wait! That's what geocaching is turning into: Entitlement and cache and dashes.

Did I mention the cacher who suggested: " I suggest you change the size to NANO or at least refer it in the hint as it is really a nano container."? Doh! Nano is a micro size, and that's what it's listed as.

Thanks, I'll decide when I think one of my caches needs a maintenance visit.

The standard time frame for maintenance is...wait for it...

A. S. A. P.

Naturally, we would be thankful to be able to visit the wonderful location chosen for the cache, and getting the smilie is secondary to the experience. ;)

If you don't disable and do maintenance IMMEDIATELY, someone is gonna get upset because they didn't get their smilie...or maybe someone will be brave enough to boldly ignore the purple frownies and discover the cache is still there and in good shape. B)

If you DO disable the cache, and then visit it a week or two later (ASAP!), only to find it is still there and in good shape, how many cachers have been 'cheated' out of their smilies (and the wonderful experience you cache would naturally provide) because they didn't go look (it was disabled after all). :unsure:

Just today I went to do maintenance on a cache that had a DNF almost a month ago...it was still there. I can't tell you how many times I have been able to take my caches off my 'To Do' list because someone found it before I could get there to check myself.

In the end how quickly you scamper off to check on your cache (that just got a couple of DNFs) is up to you, and probably will partly depend on the cache's previous track record.

One thing to keep in mind is that nobody is going to be hanging over an alligator pit by a frayed rope if they can't find your cache because it's missing.

Give it some time..... It all depends on YOU.

My husband and I will usually check on our caches once every 6 months anyway.

If there's a 'NM' log or someone says the log is wet or full - we'll get out as soon as we can (within a week or two) pending work schedules.

But for DNF's..... We just wait.... We'll wait until there are 3 DNF's before going out to check on them. If you let it go for more than that - it discourages people from visiting the site (it does for us).

A. S. A. P.

Don't forget some people have jobs and other obligations that take presidence over geocaching. So what's ASAP to someone may not be ASAP to someone else.

Indeed, I've had a cache literally 20 minutes walk from home but took me a good few weeks to get to it as I was working during the week, family commitments at the weekends etc.

A. S. A. P.

Don't forget some people have jobs and other obligations that take presidence over geocaching. So what's ASAP to someone may not be ASAP to someone else.

A. S. A. P.

Indeed, I've had a cache literally 20 minutes walk from home but took me a good few weeks to get to it as I was working during the week, family commitments at the weekends etc.

Exactly.

If it's not possible to check your cache the same day, 'we' should be understanding that you have (truly) more important things to take care of and that you will get to it in due course.

On ultra-high difficulty caches, if the owner doesn't post a "checked on it, its still there" type of log on a regular basis, you may very well find cachers ignoring your hide after a while. If you want to keep activity up on your cache, I'd suggest you inspire confidence by verifying that all is indeed well with your cache on occasion.

It depends.

On my caches - after a 'needs' maintenance log. Sometimes it is an issue that just isn't a high priority. Something like "the pencil in the cache needs sharpened" or "Sticker on outside of cache is peeling slightly". That sort of gets attention whenever I get around to it. If the issue is more severe, I schedule time as soon as I can.

On 1 DNF - I don't worry about it. If multiple DNF logs over time - I start taking into consideration the terrain/difficulty of the cache, experience of the logger(s), weather conditions etc. If the concern looks justified, I try and get out to check on those within 1 to 2 weeks if they are close and within 5 to 8 weeks if they are further out.

However, area conditions, family plans, work schedule, weather, illness, money on hand and other issues dictate how quickly I really can get out there. Life happens.

I try and get 'notes' on the pages to keep seekers up-to-date on my plans and schedules.

There is only one good answer here and that's as "soon as reasonably possible". All other answers are just a bunch of hot air. We all know life gets in the way.

Quite right! The acronym A.S.A.P. should be interpreted as As Soon As Practicable (not Possible) which is basically what you said.

Practicable covers both possible and actually able to do in practice.

Doug 7rxc