PDA Cache Information

airhogs123

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know what way is the best way to get many caches loaded onto my PDA to be used in conjunction with my GPS? I want all of the cache information like size, description, hints, etc on my PDA.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Thanks,

airhogs123

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know what way is the best way to get many caches loaded onto my PDA to be used in conjunction with my GPS? I want all of the cache information like size, description, hints, etc on my PDA.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Thanks,

airhogs123

What sort of PDA and what operating system?

On my iPaq (Pocket PC 2003) I have used:

• GPXSonar which was free but might be a bit hard to find now as I think it is no longer supported
  • Cachemate $8US

Although Cachemate is the more sophisticated program I prefer GPXsonar.

I have a PDA with Windows Mobile OS on it.

At this point I would like to see if this would work first before I buy a premium membership.

I did download GSAK, but I can’t seem to put the caches onto my PDA. Can I use GSAK to put the caches onto my PDA?

Suggestions, help?

airhogs123

I have a PDA with Windows Mobile OS on it.

At this point I would like to see if this would work first before I buy a premium membership.

I did download GSAK, but I can’t seem to put the caches onto my PDA. Can I use GSAK to put the caches onto my PDA?

Suggestions, help?

airhogs123

To be honest, without Premium membership neither GSAK or any of the PDA utilities will be of much use to you.

As a basic member you can only download cache info in the .LOC format which is just the bare basics: cache name; location; difficulty/terrain; owner.

Premium membership gives you the ability to get the data in the .GPX format which includes pretty much everything you can see on the webpage. (Apart from the pictures but GSAK has the ability to include those too).

GSAK is a powerful database application that is ideal for manipulating data downloaded from GC.com. There are all sorts of macros developed by fellow users and include macros that massage data specifically for PDA ultilities such as CacheMate.

You could download LOC data into GSAK and then use the export facility of GSAK to export the bare bones data into, say, CacheMate format. Then if you have CacheMate on your PDA load that data. You would get the general idea but you are not going to see the description; hints; etc.