[FEATURE] Event cache attendee management

BoredRoom

The publisher of an event cache could set a numeric limit to the number of attendees, when necessary.

The will-attend log would have to include a dropdown box for the number of persons.

When the limit is reached, any subsequent will-attend logs would be queued on a standby list.

Confirmed attendees could delete/reduce the number of persons, automatically pulling the first person(s) off the top of the standby list.

Currently this is all done manually by the CO; it might be convenient and increase the sense of fair-play first-come-first-serve if it were automated.

THERE ARE ONLY 50 SPOTS AVAILIBLE SO SIGN UP NOW!

I'm not sure how they plan on enforcing this. There WILL be some cachers that will show up unannounced, guaranteed. They're just going to be turned away? "Sorry, you're out of luck. Go home."? That isn't a good way to endear yourself to other cachers. Also, "THE EVENT IS NOW FULL BUT YOU WILL BE ON THE WAITING LIST!". How does this work? If I'm on the waiting list, do I have to show up and wait to see if I'll get let in? "Sorry, everyone that said they'd be coming showed up, go home."

In my opinion, it would be infinitely better (and simpler) if such an event were held somewhere with enough room to accomodate anyone that wanted to attend.

But that's just me.

I'm not sure how they plan on enforcing this.

The venue is a pub - they'll handle it the same way they'd handle any exceeding-fire-safety-capacity crowd (bouncers?)

There WILL be some cachers that will show up unannounced, guaranteed. They're just going to be turned away?

Yes. That's how alcohol-serving establishments work.

"THE EVENT IS NOW FULL BUT YOU WILL BE ON THE WAITING LIST!". How does this work?

Automatically, if they implement the feature proposed.

In my opinion, it would be infinitely better (and simpler) if such an event were held somewhere with enough room to accomodate anyone that wanted to attend.

But that's just me.

There are many events like that. This isn't one of them. Meanwhile, management of this type of event could be simplified.

I say it should be first come, first served.

Period.

If the venue has capacity restrictions, people (cachers) should be allowed in until that capacity is reached.

What happens when 'Event Hog Joe' and his family of eight post a 'Will Attend', but never show up?

Perhaps they fully planned to attend, but 'life got in the way' and they never even thought to 'cancel' their plans for the event.

Now I'm standing outside (in the rain, with seven other cachers) waiting to see if Joe and the fam are going to show up or not?

I don't think so. :mad:

I would, however, post my Attended log and go elsewhere. Perhaps if the weather is nice, we'll have a little 'tailgate' event in the parking lot. :P