Geocaching bag

firestronaut

I'm new to geocaching, but I'm already addicted! :D

I'm using an old camera bag as my "geocaching" bag.

So far it contains some swap items, pens and some nice little notes to make the next finder hopefully smile.

My GPS is my phone which is constantly on me.

Would you recommend anything else for my little bag? :)

It depends a lot on where it is that you are going to do your caching......

(everyone needs)

flashlight (or torch to some);

mechanic's grabber and/or extendable long reach magnet (they also work as prods in those deep, dark holes);

gloves -- latex and other preferably;

small first aid kit;

notepad (for your own use -- always keep trackable number until it is logged and gone from you, 'cuz mistakes happen)

pencils never fail as do ink pens -- take both;

muchies and water for those longer treks

Those are basics. Some need more things, such as long hikers, wilderness cachers, etc.

My current bag Consists of

GPSr

Camera

Small first aid kit

"Swiss Army" type knife

Extra logs and baggies

Any TB's I have

Pencil/Sharpie and Pen

Notebook

2 nano's

Wire

My car contains

Big first aid kit

Wire cutters

Electric/duct tape

snacks/water

extra keys

Flashlight

Sweater, winter coat, windbreaker and raingear.

In my pockets usually have

Folding-good quality knife

some kind of writing stick

cell phone

keys

Anything else-bear spray, walking stick, maps will be taken as need since most caches I find are urban and not to far from people.

As a relatively new cacher, I've found my Trekking pole (as I learned from GeoTrekker26) a valuable tool for poking around, moving leaves, etc. It's also nice for going up and down slopes! Also I would reiterate, please carry a few sizes of replacement logs and plastic bags. You will encounter many full, or wet logs that you can remedy with these supplies. Of all the tools I carry, I've used my tweezers and mirror the most.

Edited by RK Finds

I have gone on a full on hike caching adventure a few times, were I brought a homemade first aid kit, food, water, camera, and sun screen yadda yadda like every one else said.

For short treks, I usually have a pen and my GPS.

A normal adventure, for me, basically consists of pens, camera, GPS, car keys, phone, snackies, and bug spray.

As a relatively new cacher, I've found my Trekking pole (as I learned from GeoTrekker26) a valuable tool for poking around, moving leaves, etc. It's also nice for going up and down slopes! Also I would reiterate, please carry a few sizes of replacement logs and plastic bags. You will encounter many full, or wet logs that you can remedy with these supplies. Of all the tools I carry, I've used my tweezers and mirror the most.

Wrap a few turns of duct-tape around your hiking pole and you'll have it if you need it. Better than moleskin for covering blisters.

I use a Camelbak bag with several pockets. I carry a Point and shoot digital camera, swag, tweezers, pens, pencils (mechanical), Paper, logs, Geocaching pamplets for muggles, flashlight(s), batteries, and my GPSr. As I cache more I find I add what I need more and more. I am sure as the years go on it will change. I tend to trade less and less often and just find caches now.

I really like the idea of a mirror that someone else said as well as the magnetic wand...

It depends a lot on where it is that you are going to do your caching......

(everyone needs)

flashlight (or torch to some);

mechanic's grabber and/or extendable long reach magnet (they also work as prods in those deep, dark holes);

gloves -- latex and other preferably;

small first aid kit;

notepad (for your own use -- always keep trackable number until it is logged and gone from you, 'cuz mistakes happen)

pencils never fail as do ink pens -- take both;

muchies and water for those longer treks

Those are basics. Some need more things, such as long hikers, wilderness cachers, etc.

I like the first sentence. I read the (everyone needs) and I cringe. I guess I have been doing it wrong for over 8 years. :ph34r:

What I pack for any given caching outing depends on where I am going caching. My most common caching equipment these days is my phone and a pen. I have lots of other stuff that I add based on where I will be caching. I have tools and a compass and maps available when needed. I take food and water and other stuff when appropriate for my intended caching destination.

In addition to what everyone has mentioned we also take an assorted sizes of ziplock log bags and spare logs. You never know when you might gfind a cache and the log is full or soggy wet. We also have a couple of "pill bottle caches" in the bag in case we find a destroyed cache.

Contents of my geobag (Wow didn't realise I carried so much!)

1 liter water flask

1/2 liter water flask

Packing tape

Sunscreen

Hand Sanitizer

Deodorant

Cable ties

Box cutter

Nail pliers

Log rolling tool

Calculator

Notebook

Misc geocaching promotional docs

Pencils

Pens

Garmin eTrex 10

Manual compass

Bag 'o Swag

Small LED torch

LED "headlight"

Spare batteries

Camera (Fuji Finepix S6500fd)

Paper napkins (great for cleaning up water logged caches)

Rubber gloves

Dozen of each size Ziplock bags

Micro cache container

Hi visibility jacket (works great in the middle of muddleville, they don't even notice you!)

30ft Hi visibility rope

Other things that would be great (still haven't got yet)

Inspection mirror

Mechanics grabber tool (also one with a magnet, great for finding mag caches)

Edited by thewanderingdrew

These are the items that have become part of my geocaching bag:

Pens

Camera

Extra Logs

Mirror (for difficult to find micros and nanos)

Gloves (to protect my hands; who knows where I might be sticking them)

Flash Light (mini for crevases, Big for Night caches and caches found at night)

Swag (small and large items)

Bandaids

Tweezers

GPS

Extra Litium Batteries

Compass (for difficult GZ areas)

Panchoes

That covers 97% of any situation that I have run into while out geocaching. Most of the time though I only need my GPS and a Pen.