souvenirs

Glynis Purland

How do you get an international souvenir? I have logged caches from 4 different countries and would like to claim one.

It depends on which countries you've found caches.

Not sure how up-to-date this list is, but it's worth a look:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=272

B.

And if you have found one or more in the areas listed (but haven't received your 'souvi'), you could/should write to contact@Groundspeak.com and ask to have it provided for you.

I've seen several posts about international souvenirs but I don't understand why Groundspeak doesn't do more souvenirs in general. This (badges) is one of the best parts of Foursquare. Why wouldn't you get one for finding / placing your 1st / 100th / 1000th regular / puzzle / multi cache find? Why not a badge for a F2F? Or maybe when your cache gets 10 favorite points? How about placing / retrieving a travel bug or moving a travel bug over a long distance? There are tons of ways GS could encourage people to try more parts of the game.

I've seen several posts about international souvenirs but I don't understand why Groundspeak doesn't do more souvenirs in general. This (badges) is one of the best parts of Foursquare. Why wouldn't you get one for finding / placing your 1st / 100th / 1000th regular / puzzle / multi cache find? Why not a badge for a F2F? Or maybe when your cache gets 10 favorite points? How about placing / retrieving a travel bug or moving a travel bug over a long distance? There are tons of ways GS could encourage people to try more parts of the game.

I imagine unless Groundspeak came up with a way to verify these event then they will have to be ready for an influx of geocachers compaining that other geocachers are cheating. F2F disputes would be a nightmare to mediate. We already have something like a badge system for finding caches. Your cache milestone list. Which I like better because unlike a badge the milestone list shows which cache you reached that mile at.

Foursquare isn't really a good example to use. They have people gaming their system all the time and haven't really found a way to prevent the cheating.

I like "getting" the souvenirs - but it's not like they are real items. All you are getting is a digital image on your profile page. So is it really that big of a deal if someone cheats? They are cheating themselves into nothing but an intangible bit of code. Besides. I'm not looking at anyone else's souvenirs, only my own.

So, my vote is for more souvenirs :D I think it is good business for Groundspeak to award their members a token of celebration when they reach a milestone (which they are already keeping track of anyway) or see a new place. It's a small thing, an extra bit of fun that doesn't cost anything extra because they already have the program in place.

So is it really that big of a deal if someone cheats? They are cheating themselves into nothing but an intangible bit of code.

Agreed. Any achievement/award/badge/souvenir system is susceptible to cheating. I know in XBOX Rock Band, you could get an achievement by holding the microphone up to the speaker during a certain song. The geocaching statistics page is great but there is something great about getting a shiny graphical badge. I know I made an extra effort to find a cache on February 29th so I could get my Leap Day souvenir. They seem harmless and serve to get people excited about playing the game more.

Brian