Anyone visiting Glacier National Park?

BeccaDay

Hello EarthCachers! Last summer I visited Glacier National Park and took information for creating an EarthCache. Actually, I picked several spots but was only able to obtain permission on 1 of them. Anyway, the cache page is all written up and I've obtained permission but when I submitted it the reviewer said that I needed more location-specific tasks so that it couldn't be armchair logged. Good point, I wish I had been more careful when I was on-site! Anyway, we don't have plans to go back any time soon so I was wondering if anyone out there was planning on a spring or summer trip and if you'd be willing to help me out? Thanks!

Be aware that the NPS in Glacier National Park is asking for a permit for earthcaches there. $100 if I remember right. When you contact them for permission and for them to email to the Earthcache reviewer they will let you know. The 2-3 others that were being worked on gave up when they were told the permit cost.

Be aware that the NPS in Glacier National Park is asking for a permit for earthcaches there. $100 if I remember right. When you contact them for permission and for them to email to the Earthcache reviewer they will let you know. The 2-3 others that were being worked on gave up when they were told the permit cost.

Ouch! I love EarthCaches, but I don't think I would pay $100 to set one up.

If you did get approval for one in Glacier before the $100 fee was dreamed up, ask the reviewer if you are exempt from the fee?

Were you issued a GC# pending the answers to questions that can't be armchair logged?

If you let me know where you were approved, I will try to help when I am there on June 1.

I would be proud to claim FTF on your EC the day it gets published. I would also gladly post photos.

Thank you geoaware. Yes, I looked into all that. I emailed back and forth with their land use department and was informed of the fee. I chose my words very carefully and told them very respectfully that I was disappointed in their choice to charge this. I must have managed to do so without causing offense because she was very friendly in her continued communication with me and she saved my contact information for a later time if they ever decided to do away with the fee. I did manage to find an area that is actually not NP land and a very cool place for an EarthCache, IMO. I did contact the Montana DOT and they were fine with it as it. Not sure if I even needed to get permission since this is public land but I got it just the same.

However, I didn't do a good enough job picking out location-specific logging tasks, which brings me back to my original question. I do have one volunteer for late in the summer, but if anyone is going earlier that would speed up the process. Thanks!

So sorry that my camera failed and you did not get a picture of the sign. The area that you are asking the Earth Cache questions about is not inside the National Park. It would be possible to see the Goat Lick from GCGGG5 "Beside a Creek". Develop questions that could be answered from near that cache and tell seekers how to find the sign if they want to know more.

There are Earth Caches in several of the National Parks I have visited. I never heard of a fee before collected from the CO by the Department of the Interior.

If you want to put an Earth Cache on the east side you will have to ask permission from the Blackfoot Nation.