Garmin eTrek 20?

BlackWdow2000

Hi everyone! :-)

I have never hunted before and I am very excited to go. my friend and I are going for both our first times this month or early April for her birthday. I am currently "hunting" for a good GPS. I have found one that I like I think it will be really good. It is the Garmin eTrek 20. Looks simple, light weight, waterproof and also mentions it's capabilities for having good signal in heavy wooded areas and deep canyons. Does anyone have any thoughts on this brand/type, pros/cons etc. Thanks for any input :-)

That is the one I use now. Easy, paperless, good battery life. Lots of free maps available. Takes a micro SD card for storage if you so wish.

Woods, OK. Valleys... Gets a bit wonky, but they all do, somewhat.

I give it a 8 out of 10. 10 of 10 once Garmin polishes the firmware a bit more.

It's a far cry from my old blue Legend.

Edited by Ed_M

Woods, OK..? I am in Maine which is heavily wooded and many ups and downs valleys etc. What are your thoughts on my location.

Thanks for replying, Ed :-)

Well, I haven't tried it under a full canopy yet -- we're just starting to get leaves now. Under bare trees, no problems.

It is sensitive. I can get a full batch of satellites from in the house.

The first weekend I had mine, I had it in some pretty nasty, narrow canyons in Southern Arizona. Worked fine. I can also get a good signal inside my office which has a steal beam ceiling, offices above and another roof overhead. It works pretty well!

Great to hear! I am so excited I can not wait to go on my first hunt! :-)

The first weekend I had mine, I had it in some pretty nasty, narrow canyons in Southern Arizona. Worked fine. I can also get a good signal inside my office which has a steal beam ceiling, offices above and another roof overhead. It works pretty well!

I made this claim a second time to a friend of mine and was called a liar. So I proved it. lol

I'll post the picture here for added food for thought.

The black stuff is the ceiling/rafters/duct work overhead. There is a whole other layer of offices above, then a proper roof.

f6582adb1c0d3123b656e1069199b2a9_202002_lrg.jpg

I am not sure what version firmware it will ship with. I strongly suggest you do NOT update it until after they get what every "sticky issue" that was created some time after 2.4 I think. 2.7 fixes it "some what". If you do not know about the sticky issue check out the GPS forums here or Google GARMIN .......EXTREX .......STICKY .......ISSUE. Should lead you to a few videos and such, and a few threads in the forums.

If you have 2.6 on it, update it.

I got mine 2 weeks ago and it came with 2.6. I updated right away.

I've not been able to replicate the 'sticky' issue

I got mine when they came out and it was GREAT. The larger the update EXCEPT for 2.7 I have noticed it getting worse.... and liking it less....