GPS or Android?

pekova

I am thinking of buying my first electronic help for geocaching, but I have a BIG question on what to buy.

I just wanted to know if the app from geocaching is really better that a gps alone and what should I buy. I do not need a new phone that much, but I'm thinking of replacing my old one and one of the most important aspects on why purchasing an android is actually the app of geocaching. So my question is the following. "should i buy a simple gps (I travel between countries most of the time so if there is the need of purchasing new maps all the time that would be a minus on the gps) or should I simply give some more money and buy an android because the app is awesome?"

which would you suggest?

Many GPS have free maps available online, such as gpsfiledepot.com for Garmins.

Also depends on what app you use for the Droid. There's the Groundspeak official app, but there are also others like NeonGeo which has a free demo.

Smartphone apps do allow live access, if you are within range of wifi or have a data plan. What kind of service your phone will get in other countries could be an issue.

With a GPS you'll need to run Pocket Queries (or use the Send To GPS feature) and always load in advance. If you get a good enough GPS, you can have full cache data ("paperless") stored in the GPS. GPS should get signal in any country.

With a Droid, you don't have to have a PQ loaded on your phone but using offline stored data will save your battery significantly compared to live caching.

Droids generally have good GPS receivers, though a good standalone GPS will usually be a little better, especially when dealing with trees or other signal interference.

Edited by Joshism

I'd recommend a smartphone for geocaching only if you're going to use a smartphone anyway. A dedicated handheld GPSr will be more durable and waterproof, will have better battery life, will probably have better GPS reception in adverse conditions, and will be cheaper in the long run (since there are no monthly fees).

A dedicated handheld GPSr will be more durable and waterproof, will have better battery life, will probably have better GPS reception in adverse conditions, and will be cheaper in the long run (since there are no monthly fees).

^ This.

I use my phone as a phone (but I'm crazy like that). I use the web site to refer to the map and take a look at the satellite view before the trip. If the route's tricky, I use a dedicated car GPS for street routing to get to the cache area. Although I have purchased maps for my Garmin Oregon so it can do street routing, I use it for distance and bearing, and rarely need the map for that. Occasionally, I check to see exactly which side of a river or street a cache may be, but usually the web site map already showed that.

A live data connected Smartphone would be great, with the service in range, and the money for the unlimited data contract. Send me all that, and I'll try it out for you :P. I've often wondered how any missing feature in a Geocaching App is an issue at all, when people have direct access to the entire Geocaching web site in the field. But I'm happy using a dedicated hiking GPSr, since paying no monthly fee is one of my priorities.

Edited by kunarion

I'd recommend a smartphone for geocaching only if you're going to use a smartphone anyway. A dedicated handheld GPSr will be more durable and waterproof, will have better battery life, will probably have better GPS reception in adverse conditions, and will be cheaper in the long run (since there are no monthly fees).

+1 on that, unless you need a new phone get a paperless

Well, look at it like this...

Buying a new smart phone opens up a whole range of possible uses. The navigator is as good or better than any car GPS navigation I have seen. You have a mobile web browser anywhere you go to look up anything you want (including products and prices while standing in a store). You can scan QR codes all over the place to get additional info or coupons/discounts. You have a very handy (not the best quality but with you always) camera. And if it also works for geocaching, well, its a win.

Pay attention to your cell phone plan. Smartphones will likely require a data package so you need to consider that as a cost as well.

As for dedicated GPSr units. They can be costly or cheap. You usually get what you pay for though so be warned. Many allow additional maps to be purchased or downloaded. They are usually more rugged and weather resistant than phone. They generally run longer on batteries than a phone. Their downsides are that you have to load them with waypoints before leaving or you have to print pages to tote along. Some do and some do not have paperless geocaching. They are heavier than most smartphones. That I have seen, the screen on my Motorla Droid X2 is far superior in every way to any I have seen on a GPSr. Ones designed for a car are not very good for geocaching. Unless you are a fanatic, you don't always have your GPSr with you but I bet you take your phone everywhere (or at least most of the time).

I use my smart phone for geocaching and I am very happy with the results so far. If you get a phone with intentions of using it as a geocaching unit, be sure to verify that it has a real satellite GPS receiver in it and is not just using cell tower triangulation for location. Thats important. Also make darn sure you are happy with the phone as a phone. Unless you already have a touch screen phone, getting used to one without a dial pad will take some time, it did for me. Also consider that the phone is flat. If you are using a flip phone, those wrap around your head and cheek. Flat smartphones do not, they are flat as a brick.

Should you decide to go the smart phone route, I suggest you investigate many of the free apps on the android market before buying anything. Some that I have tried are NeonGeo demo, c:geo and Locus. All three of those work very well. Recently c:geo lost its live map ability so it has fallen off my favorites list. My current favorite is Locus with the free geocaching addon (from another vendor). Locus does a lot, lots more than just geocaching. NeonGeo is one I had considered buying as well. It is specifically for caching. Both are very good apps and have been solid in the time I have used them.

So, phone or GPSr? Well, only you can decide which fits your lifestyle more. Simply weigh the pros and cons of each and score them based on what you want in a device.

Smartphones are fine for urban and suburban caching where you will be near a power source to recharge it, and you aren't dealing with rugged terrain.

If you want to step off the pavement and freshly mowed grass and find caches in the wilder areas, a handheld GPS is the far better choice. If I could only have one it would be the handheld GPS.

Buying a new smart phone opens up a whole range of possible uses.

A lot was snipped out for brevity. Man, who would have ever thought even 3 years ago that the fact you have to load caches into a GPSr unit would be considered a "disadvantage"?? :laughing:

Very nice heartfelt post, that I'm sure took you a while to compose. For a casual, newer Geocacher, I can really see there being a debate in your head about Smartphone vs. GPSr. Smartphones certainly can do some amazing things, and there are many amazing apps out there.

A lot was snipped out for brevity. Man, who would have ever thought even 3 years ago that the fact you have to load caches into a GPSr unit would be considered a "disadvantage"?? :laughing:

Very nice heartfelt post, that I'm sure took you a while to compose. For a casual, newer Geocacher, I can really see there being a debate in your head about Smartphone vs. GPSr. Smartphones certainly can do some amazing things, and there are many amazing apps out there.

The point I was making was that the disadvantage of having to load up the waypoints before you leave was more intended for casual geocaching. Like, you need to run out for an errand at work to an area you haven't hit before. Run your errand and while you are there, load up a search in your smartphone and hit a cache or two on your way back. Can't do that sort of spur of the moment thing with only a GPSr as you need the ability to look up caches on the go. That and its possible you may not have your GPSr with you as often as you would your smart phone.

I certainly think that the Chase Jarvis quote "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You" certainly applies to GPS units no?

I certainly agree that each device has its advantages and disadvantages and I hope you would as well. The right tool in the right place for the right job. Would I rely on my smartphone on a week long trek along the Application trail? No. But it serves me just fine in urban and near-urban caching that I do here in Milwaukee. Would a GPSr work both places? Yea, with the extra needed task of looking up waypoints ahead of time and printing them out or downloading to the GPSr. A GPSr can only tell you where you ARE. If you don't know or can't find out where you need to go, its useless. That is where the smartphone kicks in. It has internet access most of the time (save for very rural areas without cell coverage) and that means access to cache locations and searches. So, I think its a valid tool. It is not always the best tool.

Smartphones are fine for urban and suburban caching where you will be near a power source to recharge it, and you aren't dealing with rugged terrain.

If you want to step off the pavement and freshly mowed grass and find caches in the wilder areas, a handheld GPS is the far better choice. If I could only have one it would be the handheld GPS.

What he said.

A smart phone is great if I'm out and about and don't have my real GPS with me. I might find out there is a cache near me at dinner or out on a walk. But for 95% of my geocaching, when I'm out in the woods, in the rain, in the snow, or on an all day geocaching excursion, nothing beats a dedicated GPS. Somehow I've amassed 4 handhelds over the years, Even though my Delorme sucks batteries dry quickly, it's nothing compared to my Droid if I used it for geocaching.

Bottom line - if you think you might go out for a single cache every now and again, a smart phone might be fine. If you want to go out on an all day paddle grabbing caches along the way, leave the Android in the car and get a handheld GPS.

The point I was making was that the disadvantage of having to load up the waypoints before you leave was more intended for casual geocaching. Like, you need to run out for an errand at work to an area you haven't hit before. Run your errand and while you are there, load up a search in your smartphone and hit a cache or two on your way back. Can't do that sort of spur of the moment thing with only a GPSr as you need the ability to look up caches on the go. That and its possible you may not have your GPSr with you as often as you would your smart phone.

I certainly think that the Chase Jarvis quote "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You" certainly applies to GPS units no?

I certainly agree that each device has its advantages and disadvantages and I hope you would as well. The right tool in the right place for the right job. Would I rely on my smartphone on a week long trek along the Application trail? No. But it serves me just fine in urban and near-urban caching that I do here in Milwaukee. Would a GPSr work both places? Yea, with the extra needed task of looking up waypoints ahead of time and printing them out or downloading to the GPSr. A GPSr can only tell you where you ARE. If you don't know or can't find out where you need to go, its useless. That is where the smartphone kicks in. It has internet access most of the time (save for very rural areas without cell coverage) and that means access to cache locations and searches. So, I think its a valid tool. It is not always the best tool.

Oh, I hear what you're saying. Keep in mind though, a lot of long-time seriously addicted Geocachers have current Pocket Queries of all the local caches loaded into their GPS units at all times. Some of them update them several times a week. That doesn't really apply to me personally, as I'm a snob who doesn't go after caches in store parking lots, and that sort of thing.

To add another opinion to the mix....

If I had to choose, I would go for a dedicated GPS instead of a smart phone. Purely for the durability and battery life. The biggest downside would be all the extra "paperless" information. I have a Garmin 60Csx, so no paperless option, but I also have a iPod Touch that I use Geosphere with to keep all the information I need. Some of the newer lower-cost GPS models support paperless, so that's less of a worry for someone starting out...

I upgraded to an iPhone a couple months ago, and while I use it on occasion for caching, I still prefer my 60csx and iTouch. A couple hours out on the trail with the iPhone and the battery is just about dead. I can get 12-18 hours on a set of rechargable batteries in my 60Csx (and replace on the trail if I need to) and the iTouch almost that long with just looking up info occasionally.

I AM one of those people who loads everything in my GPS and updates once a week. I have PQs that cover all of Washington state that gets loaded in (with GSAK) each Friday night, ready for the weekend. My 60csx is in my car most of the time, so wherever I find myself (within WA state), I have all the caches already loaded.

So, just curious, do you carry your 60Csx, the iTouch and your iPhone when you are out caching? Maybe its me but it seems the iTouch and iPhone serve the same needs, no? I don't have an iPhone nor iTouch but my GD13 has a first gen iTouch but its pretty obsolete with her android phone. I can't tell you when she had it out last. If I am not mistaken (and probably am), doesn't it only have internet when near a WiFi? It has no cell service that I know of so how do you use it in the field?

Is there anything that can be done with it for caching? I mean, if its just sitting there collecting dust, I am wondering of my GD11 (who doesn't have a smart phone) could make any use of it for caching.

I took a look at your stats and I would like to say... Welcome to caching, the more you play the more you will learn.

Here are a few of the things that you've said in this thread, and below are my thoughts about them.

1) - Unless you are a fanatic, you don't always have your GPSr with you but I bet you take your phone everywhere (or at least most of the time).

2) - The point I was making was that the disadvantage of having to load up the waypoints before you leave was more intended for casual geocaching.

3) - A GPSr can only tell you where you ARE. If you don't know or can't find out where you need to go, its useless.

4) - Ones designed for a car are not very good for geocaching.

1) - A lot of cachers have discovered a really good device for transporting their GPS unit, it's called a "Pocket". If their GPS unit is placed in this "pocket" and the "pocket is attached to their pants, shirt or coat (as is in our case), then the GPS unit can be with you at all times.

2) - As others have already pointed out, most cachers have hundreds of caches already loaded in their GPS unit so they can go caching on a moment's notice. For us, we can be dropped anywhere in Washington with our GPS and not only go caching but also read the cache description from the GPS that we brought with us.

3) - That is like saying "What good is a map & compass, after all the only thing they can do is tell you where you are." Regardless if you're in a city, the mountains or in the desert, knowing where you are is a very good thing. After you know where you are then you can figure out how to get to where you want to be. Part of the idea behind Geocaching is to go from where you are to where the cache is hidden. However your smart phone can do one thing that a GPS cannot do... And that is to call for help when you get lost and cannot find your way home because you don't know where you are.

4) - This one is my personal favorite. If you are talking about the units that are built into the car and cannot be removed, then I agree with you. But if you are talking about the kind we use then you are wrong. We use a Nuvi 1350T for caching and do very well with it. In almost 3 1/2 years our find count will show 3,487 (as of this writing). Yesterday we went out with others and found another 150, which we still need to log. We have taken this car unit everywhere to find caches, so be sure to check our stats and finds before telling us what it can not do. Since we don't do anything more than day hikes (6-8 hours max) due to bad knees on my part, battery life is not a problem. When comes to getting us from point "A" to point "B" and finding the cache, our Nuvi 1350T car unit does an excellent job.

You also stated - "I certainly think that the Chase Jarvis quote "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You" certainly applies to GPS units no?"

With this I agree with you 100%. But I would also like to add to it ...Provided you know how to use it correctly.

Tobias

1 Having a pocket doesn't automatically put a big gps in it. Phones are smaller and more likely to be in that pocket.

2 True, but that doesn't get you the new stuff while out. The phone does.

3 No, its like just having the compass. If you don't know where the cache is, neither does any good.

4 Was referring to basic car gps units like tomtoms.

We currently use a car satnav, to get us to the start point then unplug and use it once near the cache area as the GPS receiver in it is fairly accurate and quick, it is for a car after all!!

We then use either a Android or Blackberry phone on which we stash all the GPX files, most apps will allow you to download a pocket query direct to the phone, save it to your SD card and use the offline lists when searching for caches. I currently run a 1000 cache file on my phone, it takes up suprisingly little space.

And anyone reading this in the UK, your about to get a GPS app for your phones that will allow you to upload, for a price, OS maps to your phone. (In BETA testing)

Halflings dad

We currently use a car satnav, to get us to the start point then unplug and use it once near the cache area as the GPS receiver in it is fairly accurate and quick, it is for a car after all!!

We then use either a Android or Blackberry phone on which we stash all the GPX files, most apps will allow you to download a pocket query direct to the phone, save it to your SD card and use the offline lists when searching for caches. I currently run a 1000 cache file on my phone, it takes up suprisingly little space.

And anyone reading this in the UK, your about to get a GPS app for your phones that will allow you to upload, for a price, OS maps to your phone. (In BETA testing)

Halflings dad

What model? I have seen/used 4 different models and none allow you to put in a lat/lon for a point. That is my gripe with car GPS units I have seen. Yea, they are reasonably accurate and fast, again reasonably so. None I have seen (like the TomTom's) have a compass or bearing/distance display nor allow discreet point entry from lat/lon coords.

I know you were asking The Halflings, but for more info on what a Nuvi 1350 car unit can do, just do a search for some of our past posts. Here is a link to one of the threads, CAR GPS? WORK OR NOT? Will a car gps system work? .

I can either pre-load the unit or type in a set of coords. This unit can show you on the map screen how far you are from the cache / waypoint and draw a pink line from you to that point. In Automobile mode the line will follow the roads while in Bicycle mode (which we use for caches off road) it will be a straight line from the point you first pressed go. For distances of 10 miles or more it rounds off the tenths of a mile and under one tenth it shows the distance in feet.

I use my phone. It's a motorola defy, so it's water-proof (it's been in the pool and the washing machine...no issues) and damage resistant (lost track of how many times I've dropped it) and I use geo beagle for my app. It was free and does what I need it to do. I just whip out my phone, hop online, use the "find my location" button on geocaching.com's front page...and hunt away. The convenience, ready availability, and ease of use are what does it for me. I also used it, and made five passes at my first cache I placed to get the co-ordinates. My FTF guy said "I walked right up to it at 10 o'clock at night" so...the accuracy is there. Just my $.02

I just started on 4/7/2012 and downloaded an app to my phone (not the geocaching app for $9.99, a free app) and so far it has been pretty good. First day just trying to get accustomed to it was a learning experience but we figured it out. A lot of our problem was not knowing exactly what we were looking for. We found 2 or 4 our first day. The GPS got us to the general locations and in most cases to the exact spot. The two we did not find I think were because we did not know what we were looking for. In one case, we went back to it and found it our second try (only because my daughter never told me she saw something and didn't know what it was and it ended up being what we were looking for). I'm going back to the other and looking again because I think I now know where it is due to the clue since I had no idea what the acronym meaning was in the clue (now I do). Yesterday we logged 8 finds and 1 DNF. I'm still pondering the DNF. We were in the area the GPS took us and it looked like the right spot but I'm not sure where it was. The only thing we did find was a dead animal in a plastic bag :(

I'm not a hardcore geocacher but I do think some day I will be getting a handheld GPS mainly because of the battery life but for now my android has been working out very well for me.

New user here also, I've DL's the android app from Groundspeak as well and found it to be awesome. But.... I've also found its a major battery hog! If your thinking about spending a Saturday out hunting and plan to take your Droid, odds are around the 5th cache your going to be looking for a power source. Android - great for quick grabs and updated info. Handheld - best for long treks and all day caching.

Halflings dad

What model? I have seen/used 4 different models and none allow you to put in a lat/lon for a point. That is my gripe with car GPS units I have seen. Yea, they are reasonably accurate and fast, again reasonably so. None I have seen (like the TomTom's) have a compass or bearing/distance display nor allow discreet point entry from lat/lon coords.

Using a nuvi 265t, use GSAK to upload waypoints and read the tutorial!!

I use a combination of both when I'm out caching. I've got a Samsung Stratosphere with the c:geo free app on it. I use the phone to get me to the general area (within 25 ft), then use my Garmin 60CSX to lock in on the GZ. I find the coords on the phone to have a greater offset, but being to pull up all the data on the cache, including logs, to be extremely helpful.

I use a combination of both when I'm out caching. I've got a Samsung Stratosphere with the c:geo free app on it. I use the phone to get me to the general area (within 25 ft), then use my Garmin 60CSX to lock in on the GZ. I find the coords on the phone to have a greater offset, but being to pull up all the data on the cache, including logs, to be extremely helpful.

We use the c:geo app also and I have had no major problems with it.

We use the c:geo app also and I have had no major problems with it.

I started geocaching last month, using just my Droid 2 and the free c:geo app. I usually geocache with my fiance and one or more of her sons. She uses a MyTouch Slide 3G, and we find that the GPS accuracy is much worse on her phone, even though both phones have dedicated GPS receivers. We also use the free GPS Status app (as instructed on the c:geo website) which shows you your satelite fix, your error in feet (or meters if you prefer), and shows your orientation on a nice large compass. My phone usually gets me to less than a dozen feet or so of any given cache.

Using c:geo, we find that it is invaluable to be able to load any new caches directly on the phone, get the cache description and hint immediately, view the logbook (so, for instance, you can check if the most recent logs are "finds," or "did not finds," when you are having trouble locating a cache and are wondering if it has been muggled), and download and view user photos (again to help locate those troublesome caches). If we know that we are going hiking somewhere where cell service is questionable, I just preview the caches on my phone beforehand, and click the "store" button for the ones I want to go after.

The only problem I have with android device geocaching is battery life. I can go for an evening of casual caching and have my phone battery last for 3-4 hours. Any longer than that, and I need a recharge. I can either carry a spare phone battery, as most android phones have removeable batteries (and is, incidentally, the main reason I haven't upgraded to the Droid 4 with it's *non*removeable battery, or *down*graded to an iCrap phone), or you can carry a New Trent IMP1000 external battery pack, which is my personal preference. At 11,000 mAh, I can recharge my phone to full almost eight times on a single charge on the New Trent Imp.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-IMP1000-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/

They make smaller, less expensive units as well that should work just fine. Search for IMP50D, IMP60D, IMP70D, for instance. I have no connection to the company, by the way. I just love their products...

In spite of all of that, I am currently looking for a stand-alone GPSr. The boys don't appreciate running around blind without a GPS phone in hand, and I would like to see how a dedicated GPSr compares in signal accuracy, ease of use, etc.

On that note, anyone have any suggestions as to which stand-alone units can come close to, or hopefully surpass, my user experience using my Droid 2?

Thanks,

--J.R.

Phones are good for quick grabs of opportunity in urban areas - battery life is a major issue. I think a dedicated gpsr would be better for a full day of caching.

I do just fine with a full days caching using my smartphone...

Double yawns to the above.

And please, any one who thinks that a smartphone can only find caches on mowed lawns is in serious need of a reality check.

Guess all those caches I've been finding in my rugged and muddy mountains, in the rain and snow, we're just flukes?

The caches I've found many miles deep into the rugged desert terrain were just flukes?

Maybe the ones in found with absolutely no cell service in the rain forests of Kauai were flukes?

No....I didn't think so.

Hey OP...you need a phone anyway. The monthly fee will be there. Your smartphone works just fine. Works just fine on the pavement, on the freshly mowed grass, on the gravel, in the desert, in the woods, heck...it.works.everywhere.

Sorry you've had to endure yet another thread filled with misinformation.

The first time I cached with a friend who used a smart phone, we got out of the car and she went one way and I went the other. I knew something was amiss.

After a few hours of caching her battery died. My car cig lighter didn't work, so she no longer had a GPS or phone.

She later had me get new Coords for the caches she had placed because one was 100 feet off.

I wouldn't have anything but a few GPS for in the woods. I'm often out of cell range and its more durable. When I'm in cell range out hiking, I'd rather save my battery for emergencies.

I've got a nice paperless GPS that I love. I have pocket queries I run every week that cover the whole area. I always carry my GPS, just as I always carry my phone, keys and wallet. It's not hard. I often end up with time between appointments where it comes in handy.

I've only missed a new cache once while out caching, but then I hadn't updated my GPS that week either. I don't mind having missed one cache ever for the monthly charge.

Maybe the ones in found with absolutely no cell service in the rain forests of Kauai were flukes?

Hi JesandTodd,

Can you share what phone you are using? Me and some friends started caching a while ago. We're all using smartphones, and can't last more than a few hours on the standard battery. Last week I was in the woods (peanuts compared to the rain forest), and had an accuracy of 2000+ meters... Most of the time the phone get's me in the area, but never to the spot. I'm considering a GPS as well, to combine with my HTC Wildfire during caching.

Negative about a smart phone:

- battery

- accuracy

- glossy screen (difficult to read in bright sunlight)

- if I drop it in a river, or on the rocks, I've lost more than just a device.

Positive about the phone

- internet! (Wikepedia can come in handy during multi's, google translate when I'm abroad, updated cache information, live logging...)

- Many more tools (calculator, photo camera, QR-code reader)

- already had my phone before caching, no extra investment.

Concerning the "phone is always with you" discussion. Truth, my phone is in my pocket all day every day and a GPS is not. But to go caching I also need my hiking shoes, some pens, a mirror, a flashlight, pincet, magnet...

Hi JesandTodd,

Can you share what phone you are using? Me and some friends started caching a while ago. We're all using smartphones, and can't last more than a few hours on the standard battery. Last week I was in the woods (peanuts compared to the rain forest), and had an accuracy of 2000+ meters... Most of the time the phone get's me in the area, but never to the spot. I'm considering a GPS as well, to combine with my HTC Wildfire during caching.

Negative about a smart phone:

- battery

- accuracy

- glossy screen (difficult to read in bright sunlight)

- if I drop it in a river, or on the rocks, I've lost more than just a device.

Positive about the phone

- internet! (Wikepedia can come in handy during multi's, google translate when I'm abroad, updated cache information, live logging...)

- Many more tools (calculator, photo camera, QR-code reader)

- already had my phone before caching, no extra investment.

Concerning the "phone is always with you" discussion. Truth, my phone is in my pocket all day every day and a GPS is not. But to go caching I also need my hiking shoes, some pens, a mirror, a flashlight, pincet, magnet...

I'd like to know too. The time we tried caching with my wife's iPhone we had to cut our day short to head back to the car to recharge it after about 5 hours. Never mind that it was darn near impossible to read in the bright sunlight. We took to pulling our jackets over our heads and bringing the phone underneath so we could read it.

My phone is in my siggy-

But FTR it's an iPhone 4s. I use a mophie outdoor plus juice box. I also have 2 back up batts (Kensington I believe) that I had previously. I never need them and haven't used them in at least a year.

The mophie juice pack does a full recharge at least 2 times. So just having case on will be 8+ hrs. Since I've had it I've never dropped below 40% batts and not still have th ability to recharge.

Also, I use the phone sparingly while on the trails.

Solseeker. ..your friend was Ill prepared.

I'd like to know too. The time we tried caching with my wife's iPhone we had to cut our day short to head back to the car to recharge it after about 5 hours. Never mind that it was darn near impossible to read in the bright sunlight. We took to pulling our jackets over our heads and bringing the phone underneath so we could read it.

Seconded, or thirded maybe, for "darn near impossible" to read in bright sunlight. Never had to pull my jacket over my head with a GPS unit. And yes, I have done that once on the somewhat rare "I can find this with the phone" occasions. :lol: So what am I going to do now that summer is here, put it under my wife beater T-shirt? What if I'm caching shirtless? Don't worry, I'd never do that.

In the mean time, I've met someone that does not use a device at all! He simply prepares his caches at home, printing out a map... Seems to work out for him!

I've had good fun caching with my Android. But spend a little too much time pre-loading maps / satellite images, and had a few annoying moments where I needed more accuracy... (Although better preparation would probably have lead me to the cache.)

=> I ordered a GPS today.

However my friends are more fanatic than me, they decide to stick to the smartphone. (one of them has the mophie, the other is Android) I like to go mountainbiking, but I don't like cleaning the bike afterwards. I like caching, but I don't like preparing my caches. I can't get around cleaning my bike, but I hope to get around planning my cache adventures...

I'll try to give some more comment once I had some experience with my Oregon 450t.

It's been over a year now, and I still use my android most of all.

The Oregon 450t comes in most handy when I'm biking, because of the bigger buttons and large viewing angle. (it's clipped on my steer) It also gives a little squeak when getting close to the cache so I don't drive by :-)

About the 'real' GPS device

+ don't need to pre-load maps if I'm going somehwere. I've got detailed maps always with me.

Do note, I've found very good solutions for this on Android as well! Like OSM and Sygic.

+ the screen. Bigger viewing angle and touchscreen still works in the rain.

- the screen. Resolution is much smaller. Noticeable when viewing maps, and pretty useless for pictures.

+ GPS. It's more accurate than my android. But only by a little!

- GPS. It takes sometimes over 5 minutes to get a fixed signal (in open area outside city)

- No internet connection. And this is a big one!

• You can't search caches. You need to upload them from a computer. (well, duh) Without premium membership, this means uploading them one-by-one. About 3 click's a cache. (So far for getting around planning my cache adventure) So, buying a dedicated GPS device means you'll better be willing to buy a premium membership as well.

• You can't log caches. Off course you can, but you can't transfer this anywhere. => homework in the evening. Or, like me, logging in the field with my android device. Yes, sometimes I spend more time doing the digital paperwork than actually looking for the cache.

+ standard batteries. Always got plenty with me.

- the interface. The software in this device is no where close to what a modern days 'app' can provide. It simply looks like Garmin did not hire a GUI engineer in 10 years. Not much functionality plus slow CPU... = not a pleasant environment.

About the Android:

+ Making projections is much easier, and it automatically remembers and lists your starting and projected coordinates. If you don't save them manually as waypoint on the oregon, it simply forgets.

+ The interface is much better. You can choose what app you're using, it will come with a bunch of tools. It's nice, it's fluent.

+ Since I'm premium now, I found you can make good use of pocket queries on the Android as well.

+ Multi functional! Flashlight, navigation with Sygic, photo camera, decrypting hints and other tools for solving mysteries. I can go caching with just my phone. I never whent caching with just my GPS.

- Multi functional. If you're alone in the woods in the dark with just a phone on low battery, you're about to loose your flashlight, GPS, and phone to call for help. If you loose/break you phone you loose a lot more (data) than just a GPS. That said, just take care of it. Both my devices are still in good condition.

My conclusion is clear.

Don't buy the GPS :-) You're better of spending half that money on phone accessories like (external) extra batteries, a protective case and navigation app. Perhaps a mat screen protector as well... The ideal device does not exist (yet), but there are new (android) phones with very bright screens that are water/dust proof etc. We're getting there ;-)

Hope this is useful for someone, as this thread does not seem to be very active :-D

Edited by teamTwonky