Time from Active to Published?

All reports will be purely anecdotal.

Without complications of any sort, I've seen them take up to a day and a half and down to under 15 minutes. Just depends upon your local reviewers - whether they are sitting at their computers waiting, waiting ever so patiently for a chance to make a geocacher's day, or they are currently all out wherever volunteer reviewers go for therapy.

This page in the knowledge base should answer all of that. B)

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

Yes, I read that (with a lot of the other pages, see I am trying to be a good boy). I was asking what the typical real world expectation is. I am sure there will be a boat load of new caches on April 1 (just a guess) so I was wanting to beat the rush if possible or plan on the release after the rush.

Be sure that you have "enabled" the cache. If it's not, the reviewer won't see it in the review queue.

Here's how to do that: http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=301

Hope that helps.

Its purposly disabled at the moment until I fill it with swag and log book. I am also letting the area "age" so as not to be TOO obvious.

...or they are currently all out wherever volunteer reviewers go for therapy.

I've heard that sometimes they go caching.

Isn't that considered therapy?

Average is probably around 20 - 24 hours.

Yeah, that's about what the average is here, too. Sometimes they'll be published within 15 minutes, and sometimes several days, but the average is about a day. We used to have a single over-worked reviewer, and the average then was on the order of several days. Now that we have two, the average has come down significantly.

YMMV

Now..since "zero issues" has been bandied about... What are the typical issues? I have checked the coords 3 times using both my cell phone and 100 averaged readings and a Garmin GPSMAP 195 GPSr. I have checked the distance and the closest is .1 miles north and in the other directions its much more. Its my property so permissions are covered. I have a nearby landmark to see (though not right at the cache, its only a block away) and is in sight standing at the cache location. The cache is a couple feet from a side walk and a foot from a paved driveway and is near a street lamp for security. You can open the cache with no digging or tools. There are no hazards nearby such as dogs, railroad tracks or streets though its on a urban side street, there is parking in the area and sidewalks between with no street crossing (safe for kids).

I have not stocked it with log and loot yet (empty for now) as I am letting the area age a bit. It does not have the stickers on the outside yet but I don't think those are a requirement, only a good suggestion, but I will be putting one on as soon as I can get one.

So, what am I missing (if anything)?

(Edit: sight not site, I work too much on websites at work :) )

Edited by Wolfiesden

A reviewer might comment about the most common guideline violations they see, but based on what I've seen in the forums, the most common issues are the saturation guideline (which includes being too close to the hidden locations of multi-caches, mystery/puzzle caches, and PMO caches, although proximity to traditional non-PMO caches is more common) and the guidelines against commercial caches and caches that solicit.

How do I do a search for waypoints of multi-caches, mystery, PMO (pmo means what?)?

I did a search of caches around those coords and as I said, 1 traditional cache at .1 (though it currently says .2 in the list). Rest are .3 and up. There is no commercial aspect of the cache at all, either in name or location.

You can open the cache with no digging or tools.

That might concern me, even if it's on your own property. Is it buried? Yes, you can give yourself permission, but it might set a bad example to other cachers.

Time frames: Three weeks when the reviewer had the nerve to elope! Not being used to having a cache reviewed in less than a day (yes. That was quite a while ago) I was working on a cache page (yes. Active) and had the reviewer e-mail me while I was still working, to tell me that the coords were out in the ocean.

That might concern me, even if it's on your own property. Is it buried? Yes, you can give yourself permission, but it might set a bad example to other cachers.

Time frames: Three weeks when the reviewer had the nerve to elope! Not being used to having a cache reviewed in less than a day (yes. That was quite a while ago) I was working on a cache page (yes. Active) and had the reviewer e-mail me while I was still working, to tell me that the coords were out in the ocean.

Didja miss this part?

Didja miss this part?

That part only says that you don't need to dig to open the cache. It doesn't say the cache isn't buried up to it's opening/lid.

Now..since "zero issues" has been bandied about... What are the typical issues? I have checked the coords 3 times using both my cell phone and 100 averaged readings and a Garmin GPSMAP 195 GPSr. I have checked the distance and the closest is .1 miles north and in the other directions its much more. Its my property so permissions are covered. I have a nearby landmark to see (though not right at the cache, its only a block away) and is in sight standing at the cache location. The cache is a couple feet from a side walk and a foot from a paved driveway and is near a street lamp for security. You can open the cache with no digging or tools. There are no hazards nearby such as dogs, railroad tracks or streets though its on a urban side street, there is parking in the area and sidewalks between with no street crossing (safe for kids).

I have not stocked it with log and loot yet (empty for now) as I am letting the area age a bit. It does not have the stickers on the outside yet but I don't think those are a requirement, only a good suggestion, but I will be putting one on as soon as I can get one.

So, what am I missing (if anything)?

(Edit: sight not site, I work too much on websites at work :) )

Some of the most common issue I encounter:

-To close to another cache or a stage of another multi

-Too close to an off limits location (schools, RR tracks, public buildings, etc.)

-Cache page or name contains commercial content or promotes an agenda

-Illegal (per the guidelines) hiding methods incl. digging (even if the lid is exposed), use of graffiti, drilling holes, using permanent or semi permanent attachments like screws or nails.

-Illegal (per the guidelines) content like knives or tobacco.

-"Vacation" caches, meaning caches that are too far from the owner's home for regular maintenance.

This page in the knowledge base should answer all of that. B)

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=81

Yes, I read that (with a lot of the other pages, see I am trying to be a good boy). I was asking what the typical real world expectation is. I am sure there will be a boat load of new caches on April 1 (just a guess) so I was wanting to beat the rush if possible or plan on the release after the rush.

Be sure that you have "enabled" the cache. If it's not, the reviewer won't see it in the review queue.

Here's how to do that: http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=301

Hope that helps.

Its purposly disabled at the moment until I fill it with swag and log book. I am also letting the area "age" so as not to be TOO obvious.

That page referenced above talks about two things.

First, at the bottom of the cache submission page is a checkbox which reads: "Yes, this cache is active". If that box has not been checked it won't go into the reviewer queue.

Once that happens, one of two things will happen. The reviewer will publish the listing (which also effectively enables the cache...so it should be ready to be found *before* you submit the listing). The other possible outcome would be that the reviewer would not publish it (yet) and explain why in a reviewer note or private message. Sometimes the reviewer may ask for something to be addressed and ask that you enable the listing once it has been corrected. That's only going to happen if the listing was already in the reviewers queue, which isn't going to happen until the "Yes, this cache is currently active" box is checked and the listing submitted.

The key point here, is that "active" and "enabled" are two different things.

Just curious - you are letting the area age, but you will have to go back to fill it with swag and add the log book, right? Won't that disturb the aging you are waiting for?

Anyway, that was just an observation. To answer your question, the caches I have placed so far (two) were activated inside of 12 hours from when I enabled them. I have a third coming out today that I specifically asked my reviewer to activate at 8:00 AM EST. So, if you have a date and time in mind that you want to activate your cache, at least some reviewers will work with you.

I am sure there will be a boat load of new caches on April 1 (just a guess) so I was wanting to beat the rush if possible or plan on the release after the rush.

There will be at least 2 AFD caches here in Rhode Island (mine's already hidden). There's a bet between myself and another local to see who has the better one. And event that evening is being held for revelry and awarding of the $3 at stake.

You folks are so helpful! Thank you so much for all the hints, tips and advice! I look forward to returning the favors some day.

It is similar in concept to at least 3 other caches I have seen/visited. A pipe (others used large PVC in the 3"-4" dia) with an inner container. Lifting the top off the PVC revealed the inner cache. Mine is of similar design using other materials. This concept required less area disturbance than a fake sprinkler head cache which is actually flush with the ground so its entirely below ground save for the flat top. My cache is above ground. Its outer container is not completely above ground (so as to be held in place) but most of it is and where the cache is inside is above ground. The part that is underground was placed in an existing hole(depression). There are other similar designs in the CCC thread here as well, some made with stumps, some with pipes or other materials.

Example:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=62421&view=findpost&p=1144475

That page referenced above talks about two things.

First, at the bottom of the cache submission page is a checkbox which reads: "Yes, this cache is active". If that box has not been checked it won't go into the reviewer queue.

Once that happens, one of two things will happen. The reviewer will publish the listing (which also effectively enables the cache...so it should be ready to be found *before* you submit the listing). The other possible outcome would be that the reviewer would not publish it (yet) and explain why in a reviewer note or private message. Sometimes the reviewer may ask for something to be addressed and ask that you enable the listing once it has been corrected. That's only going to happen if the listing was already in the reviewers queue, which isn't going to happen until the "Yes, this cache is currently active" box is checked and the listing submitted.

The key point here, is that "active" and "enabled" are two different things.

Again. "Yes, this cache is currently active" is not checked as I do not wish it to be reviewed yet. This thread is in preparation to me going in and activating it for review.

Just curious - you are letting the area age, but you will have to go back to fill it with swag and add the log book, right? Won't that disturb the aging you are waiting for?

Anyway, that was just an observation. To answer your question, the caches I have placed so far (two) were activated inside of 12 hours from when I enabled them. I have a third coming out today that I specifically asked my reviewer to activate at 8:00 AM EST. So, if you have a date and time in mind that you want to activate your cache, at least some reviewers will work with you.

No it won't disturb the area restocking it. I spilled a flower pot with dirt all over the flower bed. It broke apart as I lifted it. I am waiting for that obvious disturbance to go away. It screams "HERE IS THE CACHE!". Opening/closing/accessing the cache later won't have a bearing on the area. You can either stand on the sidewalk, the corner of a paved driveway or grass (I am not one of those "get off my grass" guys) and disturb nothing to access the cache.

On another note...

I don't need it for this cache, but is there a mechanism so that a cache can be reviewed and published but not visible to the public yet? It would be nice to be able to get all the prep work done and have it "authorized" (published, whatever term you want to use) but then let the CO actually flip the switch to make it visible to the community. I can see that being useful for local celebrations and holiday based caches. I assume it would be easier on reviewers too not having to do something at a time/date specified by a CO and put the chore back where it belongs, on the CO.

Based on my experience this morning, the reviewers have a tool which allows them to set a future date and time to publish the cache and make it visible. I don't know this for sure, but since my reviewer promised that mine would be active at 8:00 AM today, and it was at exactly 8:00 AM, I am assuming he was able to set it rather than logging in at that exact moment to make it happen. So, if you have an event or something planned, just tell the reviewer exactly when you want it visible.

Based on my experience this morning, the reviewers have a tool which allows them to set a future date and time to publish the cache and make it visible. I don't know this for sure, but since my reviewer promised that mine would be active at 8:00 AM today, and it was at exactly 8:00 AM, I am assuming he was able to set it rather than logging in at that exact moment to make it happen. So, if you have an event or something planned, just tell the reviewer exactly when you want it visible.

Ok, that makes sense. As I said, I don't need it for any currently planned caches but knowing the option is there is a nice FYI piece of data.

Any cache that appears to have a hole dug as part of the hide style in any way just sets a bad precedent for others and adds to the poor notion that Geocaching is all about buried treasure. IMHO.

I get that and agree with it. Is not a problem here. With some of the devious containers I saw in CCC, I can't imagine adding burial to the mix. Some of them are evil enough.

Based on a conversation I just had with my reviewer, this is true. Caches can be set to be automatically published by date and time, to the half hour. I didn't ask how new of a feature this is, but I seem to remember on one of my caches that I wanted published on a certain day, the reviewer said they might have to ask another reviewer to do it, so it isn't something that has been in place forever.

Being a SQL programmer, this little feature should be a no brainer to have. I mean, really, how hard is it to set a date field with a time/date in the cache database and have whatever SQL statement that is used to pull caches (when people search or view cache listings) simply exclude any that have a date in this field that is prior to the current time/date. Its what I do every day in online shopping carts I write for products and specials.

Being a SQL programmer, this little feature should be a no brainer to have. I mean, really, how hard is it to set a date field with a time/date in the cache database and have whatever SQL statement that is used to pull caches (when people search or view cache listings) simply exclude any that have a date in this field that is prior to the current time/date. Its what I do every day in online shopping carts I write for products and specials.

Sure it is easy enough technically.

Not so easy in philosophy. When a reviewer publishes a cache, it has been freshly reviewed and they are reasonably certain of no issues. If you allow any significant amount of time lapse, the CO may be tempted to alter the listing in some way that may go against the guidelines. Sure most of would not do that but trust me - some others of us would do that in a heartbeat.

I meant that the reviewer could set the date in the field once reviewed, not the CO. But do so based on a requested date from the CO. Reject it if its too far out.

That is a good point about the time. Couldn't the listing be locked so the CO couldn't change it once the publish happened and the date set? That should be a simple matter to address with a simple SQL statement. If its published and has a future visible date, no editing until that date.

Which brings another question to mind...if a listing is edited, must it be reviewed again before being accessible to the public? I see many caches that immortalize the FTF, STF and TTF in the cache descriptions. I would follow suit with mine. Does this change in description require a re-publish process?

Which brings another question to mind...if a listing is edited, must it be reviewed again before being accessible to the public? I see many caches that immortalize the FTF, STF and TTF in the cache descriptions. I would follow suit with mine. Does this change in description require a re-publish process?

No. Once a reviewer approves a cache, you can change the description.

Some people have abused this. Please don't.

How do I do a search for waypoints of multi-caches, mystery, PMO (pmo means what?)?

Find those other caches (or solve the coords, in the case of mysteries) in the vicinity.

If you could easily look up the stage & final coords for those caches, people would just do that instead of actually going out and doing the whole multi or solving the puzzle. Obviously there will be cases where this doesn't work (like a multi which starts 20 miles away, and has its final in the park you're looking to hide in), but it'll work in 90% of cases.

No. Once a reviewer approves a cache, you can change the description.

Some people have abused this. Please don't.

No, all I wanted to do is add the date and nick of FTF, STF and TTF to the description. Is that considered abuse? If so, I won't do it.

Find those other caches (or solve the coords, in the case of mysteries) in the vicinity.

If you could easily look up the stage & final coords for those caches, people would just do that instead of actually going out and doing the whole multi or solving the puzzle. Obviously there will be cases where this doesn't work (like a multi which starts 20 miles away, and has its final in the park you're looking to hide in), but it'll work in 90% of cases.

Well, to counter this, why not have a pre-publish check tool that lists other caches within the limits and a boolean return that there are/are not waypoints/mystery locations within the .1 mile limit (or whatever the limit is set to). The tool would not need to list them specifically or tie them to any cache, simply check the database if there are any and report a yes or no. Perhaps a direction/distance list (with no other details) so you would know which way to move your cache in an effort to comply. That way no caches' secrets would be compromised and the new CO would not need to bother a reviewer for such a mundane task. It certainly would make the reviewer's job easier wouldn't it?

I have done these sorts of things and its not that difficult to do. I have SProcs that do great circle calculations (I assume this site does too given that caching is all about bearing and distance). I have used them on many websites to find nearest distributes/offices to zipcodes or addresses and the like.

Its nothing more than a database. Asking it questions is the easy part, or should be. Knowing what questions to ask and how to ask them, well that is where it gets harder.

No, all I wanted to do is add the date and nick of FTF, STF and TTF to the description. Is that considered abuse? If so, I won't do it.

That's not abuse. Abuse is writing up the cache description in such a way that it'll get published, then altering it post-publication to have content that would not normally pass a reviewer.

Well, to counter this, why not have a pre-publish check tool that lists other caches within the limits and a boolean return that there are/are not waypoints/mystery locations within the .1 mile limit (or whatever the limit is set to). The tool would not need to list them specifically or tie them to any cache, simply check the database if there are any and report a yes or no. Perhaps a direction/distance list (with no other details) so you would know which way to move your cache in an effort to comply. That way no caches' secrets would be compromised and the new CO would not need to bother a reviewer for such a mundane task. It certainly would make the reviewer's job easier wouldn't it?

It would still be easy to brute-force solutions to puzzles or multis. Reviewers have tools which reduce how much work is really required on their part for this.

I have done these sorts of things and its not that difficult to do
I generally refrain from suggesting how easy it is for someone to modify their existing codebase when I don't know the codebase, database or its history. Edited by dakboy

Sure it is easy enough technically.

Not so easy in philosophy. When a reviewer publishes a cache, it has been freshly reviewed and they are reasonably certain of no issues. If you allow any significant amount of time lapse, the CO may be tempted to alter the listing in some way that may go against the guidelines. Sure most of would not do that but trust me - some others of us would do that in a heartbeat.

For caches set to be published on a specific date the listing gets locked until it's published. No hanky-panky allowed. I know because I had to alter mine prior to publication and as a result of the back-and-forth the publish date wound up getting messed up a little. Oh, well. Next time I'll be more careful prior to enabling the listing.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

That's not abuse. Abuse is writing up the cache description in such a way that it'll get published, then altering it post-publication to have content that would not normally pass a reviewer.

I'm not sure how often this really happens but basically a reviewer is going to look at the information provided to determine whether it meets the guidelines. There are quite a few guidelines which the reviewer can't verify *unless* the cache description volunteers that information. That's *supposed* to be covered with the "Yes, I read and understand the guidelines". However, if someone neglects to mention that they buried the cache or attached it to a tree using wood screws the reviewer isn't going to know about it until after it's been published, and then only if someone that has found the cache reports it.

I have done these sorts of things and its not that difficult to do
I generally refrain from suggesting how easy it is for someone to modify their existing codebase when I don't know the codebase, database or its history.

I would tend to agree. I have written a lot of SQL as well (but have an aversion to *programming* with SQL). Without knowing how the entire site is constructed, what sort of design patterns are used, or whether a multi-tier architecture is used, writing the SQL is just one piece of the development necessary to implement such a feature. There may be business logic the needs to be modified and certain changes to the user interface, not to mention documentation that might be required.