[FEATURE] "Historical" attribute

kantear

i apologize if i'm repeating anything here ... but i didn't find anything previous, asking specifically for a "historical attribute".

the thought briefly crossed my mind for a "new cache type" ... and as other suggestions of that type often get responses that moan and complain, or may even offer good counterpoints that oppose the idea for logical reasons. ... so i quickly decided not to say "new cache type" - as this would only add more stress to the forum.

however ... if attributes were added that could further describe a cache, this would be cool. yeah yeah ... i get that we can write about it in the cache description, but an "attribute" would almost be like an acknowledgement from g.s. that it's worthy of mention however minor. another current thread asks for a "type" for "envirocache" which aside from "agenda" (as mentioned) complicates the idea with multiple sub-types (also mentioned). these things could easily be added as attributes ... like "agendacache" or "politicache" or "religicache" ... well ... maybe not specifically these "attributes" but, you get the point (maybe).

as far as "historical" those too, could contain agenda or bias in any direction... but i feel this is a realistic request for a useful attribute, and an opening for additional attributes in the future. a "historical" attribute could be posted to an actual "historical marker" related cache, or even a cache related to local folklore, or "forgotten history" such as an old buried canal route or unmarked roadway, like parts of route 66 (which i would be totally interested in).

thanks, in advance, for listening.

I think that's a pretty good idea. It'd be neat to run a PQ and search for caches with this "historical" attribute. Provided the COs actually selected them...

An easy way to separate park-and-grabs and ammo-cans-in-the-woods caches from caches that are somewhere with some kind of historical significance. A lot of those caches, I've found, are spread by word of mouth. This could make them easier to find. Sure you can look at Rt. 66 on a map and see the caches, but there's a big difference between a run run of the mill guardrail cache and a cache at an old drive-in.

If you're heading to an area, search for this "historical" attribute... You may come up with pretty interesting things. "Oh, there use to be a *whatever* here. That's sounds neat, I'd like to check that out!"

I think it's a good idea, if COs will take the 3 seconds to select the attribute.

Both the historical attribute and cache type have been repeatedly suggested in the old feedback and get satisfaction forums. While I generally think we are overloaded with attributes so that they have lost much of their usefulness, a historical attribute would help many of us identify the type of caches we want to find when making a trip.

I am surprised it has not been implemented. I suppose "tourist friendly" might be used, but I am not sure what it means.

Edited by geodarts

Somewhere I've read that although Groundspeak will allow them, they don't like "historical locations" For various reasons, including damage caused by cachers being where they shouldn't, and having more people visit then the site can handle. Think of it like a museum...It's all well and nice to look, but if everyone starts touching and climbing, and trying to look for "treasure" damage WILL be done, even if it is not intentional. I'll try to find the link.

Found it Cache placement is in an area that is highly sensitive to additional foot and vehicular traffic including but not limited to archaeological sites, historical sites and cemeteries.

Cache defaces or destroys property (public or private) either in the hiding of or searching for the cache. from HERE I was wrong in my first post. So as long as it meets standard guidelines is is ok.

ah, do copy. however, while archaeological locations should be preserved, they are useless unless someone knows about them .. thus the point of "historical" anything. ... but guidelines could be reformed to define a clear cut radius of say 50 to 100 feet from erosion sensitive archives.

for example ... "cadillac ranch" in amarillo tx (didn't look and don't know) could have a cache placed directly on one of the cars without issue ... but it would be a bad idea to encourage traffic in the "la brea tarpits" (first thing that popped in there sorry).

ah, do copy. however, while archaeological locations should be preserved, they are useless unless someone knows about them .. thus the point of "historical" anything. ... but guidelines could be reformed to define a clear cut radius of say 50 to 100 feet from erosion sensitive archives.

for example ... "cadillac ranch" in amarillo tx (didn't look and don't know) could have a cache placed directly on one of the cars without issue ... but it would be a bad idea to encourage traffic in the "la brea tarpits" (first thing that popped in there sorry).

I found an earthcache at La Brea. And I have found physical caches within the general area of major historical and archeological sites (from Cahokia to Stonehenge or Machu Picchu). A historical attribute would not require any change in the guidelines. If a cache is appropriate and can be placed with "adequate permission" then there is no reason why a historical site cannot be identified as such. To me the value of an attribute, though, would not be with caches in places that are already on my list to visit, but in discovering the hidden history of the area. Would I have known that Martinez, California, had a plaque dedicated to the birthplace of the Martini if caching had not taken me there? If used, a historical attribute would make such treasures easier to identify.

But the reference to Cadillac Ranch makes me wish that caching had a "roadside attraction" attribute.

Edited by geodarts

. but guidelines could be reformed to define a clear cut radius of say 50 to 100 feet from erosion sensitive archives.

I believe that would be a great idea, however I think for that to work the CO's would have to describe the cache and historical area to the reviewers who may not be able to determine for example; that the archeological site is sensitive to foot traffic. and well intended it will probably be used correctly as people having proper permission to place the cache on property.

Perhaps an attribute titled something like Point of Interest would cover all bases, historical, scientific, or just plain interesting. Then further details could be added in the cache description; for example the POI attribute with a description of "Near the worlds largest Tee-Pee"(Medicine Hat, Alberta-over 20 stories tall)

or state in the description "cache is located near..." or "cache is about 90 feet from..." or "don't touch the hieroglyphs because the oils in your hands will destroy them".

*edit* -

point of interest is an excellent idea as well.

i was sort of going a little towards being able to list a cache with little to no description and just a title... in a manner that would work for all those "why did you send me here" or "why should i go there" types... (not putting that down, i do that too sometimes, it's just different from the "get a cache every day" type, or the "be the first one to get it" type, or the "get every cache in the world today" type.)

Edited by kantear