What is it with people?

Over the years I've been a sucker for every struggling college student, or person of limited means who came to these forums looking for an inexpensive GPS, decent cache containers, geocoins, etc.

If I'm able to I try to help out. I've given away a bunch of GPS units, numerous containers ranging from ammo boxes to Nalgene cryo vials, geocoins, fully stocked and ready to hide caches and assortments of swag. I never asked for a penny and boxed and mailed the items at my own expense.

I don't keep count, but I'm guessing roughly two dozen people over the years. Out of that, only once have I receive a thank you. A few years ago I received a very nice note from a college student telling me about all of the fun she and her friends were having caching with my old eTrex Vista. It was nice to know that someone was enjoying the unit and didn't just stick it in a drawer and forget about geocaching. Other than that, nothing, not a word.

I don't do it to be thanked, but hey, at least could they let me know they received the package and it arrived intact? /rant

Edited by briansnat

Boy have I run into that situation a lot.

I'm with you.... just a simple THANK YOU would be so nice.

I'm one of those parents that insist my kids write thank-you notes, even though they don't get any from their friends. I tell them I don't care-it's the right thing to do.

I hope that note you got from the college student made it all worthwhile. Those are treasures!

I don't do it to be thanked, but hey, at least could they let me know they received the package and it arrived intact? /rant

Hmmm sure sounds like you are expecting a thanks to me.

Unnecessary.

Back on topic, I think it's impressive that you help folks out like that. While I will donate things whenever I can, it's usually to people I know, not strangers. Beings that I have recently been accepting more gifts/donations than normal, I will thank you on their behalf, what with me being in similar shoes and all :)

Sounds to me like you don't know briansnat. I don't personally know him, but I have read enough in these forums over the last few years to know better than that. Maybe you should be careful about who you call out.

<_<

Not only was that uncalled for, it was totally misdirected. If you were a tadpole I could see how you might make that mistake. With over 1,000 posts you should no better than that.

I've gifted 8 people PM yearly memberships. Just random folks that I thought would enjoy it.

Only 2 of them bothered with any acknowledgement at all. Just life.

I will be gifting another shortly to some poster that I think would enjoy it.

Good idea to send off my older units to somebody. Might need to do that as well.

The best thanks to me is just the ones that bothered to say so. Made it worthwhile.

Briansnat, I'd like to say thanks for all of the entertaining forum posts over the years.

Also thanks for the nice cache locations in remote areas. Trowel32 and I found one on St Patricks day with an excellent view with the sound of someone in the valley below playing bagpipes. It was great, except for the fact that I'm over 100 caches behind in logging and probably won't be able to get to it until next year..

I hear you. Nowhere near as generous as you, but I have given away three older GPSr's over the years, two of them to relatives, one to an old friend that had moved away, and I have had the same experience. Not only that, but to the best of my knowledge, not one of them has really ever used the device. I never did take heart to advice that my Grandmother tried to teach me... she said, don't give it away... they won't value it. Instead, sell it to them for what they can easily afford. But in spite of that advice, I just can't sell things to friends or relatives.

...she said, don't give it away... they won't value it. Instead, sell it to them for what they can easily afford.

Granny knew what she was talking about. B)

Free stuff is just free stuff. :o

Thanks on their behalf, Brian.

Perhaps American mores will come around full circle and 'Please', 'Thank-you', and 'May I' will come back into fashion.

Sounds to me like you don't know briansnat. I don't personally know him, but I have read enough in these forums over the last few years to know better than that. Maybe you should be careful about who you call out.

You may offer me sympathy. I've met him a few times. :ph34r:

Actually, Brian has been one of my inspirations as to what a good cache is! My first find was one of his. Only a two mile round trip hike, with 600' of climb, to a spectacular spot.

Brian: You are a victim of the modern concept: Entitlement. Very sad, but it is rampant. No thanks are necessary. I'm entitled! You're expecting acknowledgement? How 60's of you! This is the modern world.

Myself, I would like to say Thanks to you! You introduced me to geocaching, and showed me what it's all about, and how much fun it can be! (Well, with the exception of that cardboard oatmeal container...)

Unfortunately, the modern electronic world has changed. Courtesy seems to have disappeared.

Honestly, I think the world could use more people like you. It's nice to know that there is still someone out there who understands and respects the act of giving, because not everyone can be as fortunate as the next person, and some of us simply can't afford all of the expensive equipment that is required to take part in Geocaching. I myself am in that situation right now, as I'm trying to get involved in the world of Geocaching, but have financial issues that are hindering my process of finding a GPS. With that being said, far too many people forget to have the common courtesy and human decency to say thank you when someone gives them something, or does something nice for them. It's sad.

Regardless, I'd like to say that I think you're a nice person for doing what you do. :)

I feel the same way when people don't say "thank you" when I hold the door for them. I always say "you're welcome" anyway, and sometimes I get funny looks <_< .

I was in Dayton, OH one night (I think it was Dayton...) and I was walking into a restaurant as a family was walking out. I held the door for them, naturally, and the cute little girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, looked up at me and said "thank you." The parents walked out without saying a word or even looking at me. Even a smile and a nod would suffice. So I said to them "Where did your daughter learn her manners? Because she certainly didn't learn them from you" and walked inside. Even then, they didn't acknowledge me. Too embarrassed to turn around, I suppose.

I don't normally call people out like that, but sometimes I just can't help it :ph34r:

I'm part of the "a thank you goes a long way" cult. A lot of my friends aren't. I'm also a big believer in "doing what you say you're going to do." If you tell me you're going to do something, say meet me somewhere for lunch, I expect you to be there. If you can't make it, or you're going to be late, call or text and let me know. Don't leave me waiting there with my thumb up my a**. Don't wait until I call you to say "oh, I had to run to *wherever*... I'll be there in 20 minutes."

/hijack

I feel the same way when people don't say "thank you" when I hold the door for them. I always say "you're welcome" anyway, and sometimes I get funny looks <_< .

I was in Dayton, OH one night (I think it was Dayton...) and I was walking into a restaurant as a family was walking out. I held the door for them, naturally, and the cute little girl, maybe 6 or 7 years old, looked up at me and said "thank you." The parents walked out without saying a word or even looking at me. Even a smile and a nod would suffice. So I said to them "Where did your daughter learn her manners? Because she certainly didn't learn them from you" and walked inside. Even then, they didn't acknowledge me. Too embarrassed to turn around, I suppose.

I don't normally call people out like that, but sometimes I just can't help it :ph34r:

I'm part of the "a thank you goes a long way" cult. A lot of my friends aren't. I'm also a big believer in "doing what you say you're going to do." If you tell me you're going to do something, say meet me somewhere for lunch, I expect you to be there. If you can't make it, or you're going to be late, call or text and let me know. Don't leave me waiting there with my thumb up my a**. Don't wait until I call you to say "oh, I had to run to *wherever*... I'll be there in 20 minutes."

/hijack

I'm the same way, honestly. I always hold the door for people, offer to help them carry something if they look like they're struggling, smile and wish them a nice day, etc. and rarely does anyone ever say thank you to me. For the most part, I shrug it off, as I know it makes me a better person to continue to do those little things even though no one seems to appreciate it, but once in a while a simple "thank you" wouldn't hurt... So, I know exactly how you, and the OP feel.

Also, I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about following through on the things that you say you're going to do. I can't even begin to count the amount of times that people have completely blown me off, or been late without letting me know that they're going to be, and at times it's understandable; things happen. However, for the most part, it seems like it's just a lack of common courtesy on their part. Why? Because when you look at how many methods we have available to us to communicate with each other, it just doesn't seem likely to me that when someone blows me off completely or is late for something that we're supposed to do, that they couldn't find the 30 seconds to text or call me, send me an e-mail or an IM, or even post on my Facebook wall... I understand that things happen, but sometimes it's just downright rude.

My experience is just about the same. Vast majority of people don't acknowledge or thank random kindness. I don't know why, and I'm not interested in inventing excuses for them.

Over the years I've been a sucker for every struggling college student, or person of limited means who came to these forums looking for an inexpensive GPS, decent cache containers, geocoins, etc.

If I'm able to I try to help out. I've given away a bunch of GPS units, numerous containers ranging from ammo boxes to Nalgene cryo vials, geocoins, fully stocked and ready to hide caches and assortments of swag. I never asked for a penny and boxed and mailed the items at my own expense.

I don't keep count, but I'm guessing roughly two dozen people over the years. Out of that, only once have I receive a thank you. A few years ago I received a very nice note from a college student telling me about all of the fun she and her friends were having caching with my old eTrex Vista. It was nice to know that someone was enjoying the unit and didn't just stick it in a drawer and forget about geocaching. Other than that, nothing, not a word.

While I agree in general with your statements, I must say that if you feel the need to post a rant here about this there is indeed something within you that expects to be thanked explicitly for your efforts and contributions. Do it because you want to and because you believe in the cause. Not because you expect someone or everyone to say thank you. They won't. If you need that thank you then I will suggest you aren't all in for the cause. Thank yous are great and inspiring. Once you get to the point where you need the thank you as your motivation it is time to rethink your participation.

It takes about two seconds to write "Thank you." Time should not be an excuse for a lack of Common Courtesy. It does seem to me like a trend in modern society to not bother with even a thank you.

Unfortunately I have noticed this too and can join your rant. People can't even be bothered to take 2 seconds to say Thank You. To me, this is totall disgusting. People these days are completely spoiled, this is my opinion.

I have done quite a bit of volunteering the last few years and it's shocking how many people will not even take the time to say a quick thank-you. I do peer counselling by email and of all the emails I respond to with helpful information and encouragement I get a thank-you maybe 10% of the time. The other 90% can't be bothered which quite frankly is leading me to stop. I do not require people to get down on their knees and recite a poem on how I've changed their lives. However, I do expect a simple thank-you. It's just basic courtesy.

What I give away is usually just my time, so I can't even imagine how enraged I would be if I actually purchased a GPS or cache container, PAID for shipping and not receiving thank-you's. I think I would do it once or twice and call it quits. I think it shows alot about the OPs character that you would continue to do this volunteering under these circumstances.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

it is the same all over the world..

You should be happy you are nice and friendly and helpfull to others,

and try to be less sad about when others are bad, this way it hurts less.

You should NEWER stop beening nice, just due to others are bad !

it is a little bit the same with making caches,

you can spend alot of time and money to make a good cache,

the reward you get is alot of good logs,

they sometime write how cool it was and how great the trip and experiance they had,

great it makes me happy.

then a few days later some cachers forget to hide it wall, it gets muggled,

another day they dont close the lit, so contents get wet,

the next day others write bad to you for not change the wet log,

obviously people expect CO to come and wipe their behind also ?

why cant people do a little bit of mini service them self if needed ?

close containers, hide well, dont drop or damage them ?

oh Nice Mother CO will come and fix it for me, I can do whatver damage I like ??

Edited by OZ2CPU

It does seem to me like a trend in modern society to not bother with even a thank you.

Exactly, and unfortunately this occurs in many countries and it not only concerns saying thank you, but also many other aspects like excusing for coming late, greeting when entering an office and many other aspects. A friend of mine who has two boys who attend school and have attended kindergarten before told me that the problem starts already there as the teachers there are not any longer demanding courtesy and respect from the children and they argue that the parents do not want them to do so. (The issue occured because my friend asked the teacher of her elder son to tell him where his limits are and the teacher replied she cannot do that because this is not what the parents in general expect her to do.)

It appears to be an big issue of modern society.

Cezanne

Common courtesy with todays young folk is almost non existant!

if someone replaces a muggled container or even adds a new logsheet gets a public thank you from me.

I've gifted 8 people PM yearly memberships. Just random folks that I thought would enjoy it.

Only 2 of them bothered with any acknowledgement at all. Just life.

I've gifted four people with memberships so far. None ever sent so much as a thank you note.

*shrug*

I'll do it again if and when the urge strikes me.

--Larry

I'm not so sure about that. I'm also one of those people that will always hold a door open if there is someone approaching the door from in front of behind me. I also work on a college campus so most of those people are college students. Not everyone gives a thank you but quite a few do and some even say "thank you very much" and give a nice smile.

Since I travel a fair amount internationally I often take the time to find out if there any common courtesies that are not done in the U.S. For example, when giving a business card to someone in China, holding it with both hands with a slight bow forward is how it's done there and after a couple of visit there I found that I've done it that way in other places as well.

if someone replaces a muggled container or even adds a new logsheet gets a public thank you from me.

My wife and I were skiing last weekend. Wife fell and because the snow was so soft she was having a difficult time getting up. She was down and obviously struggling. I was about 100 yards downhill and slowly started making my way uphill to give her a hand, thinking in the 10 or so minutes it was going to take me to get there one of the hundreds of people who passed her by would stop and help. Not only did nobody stop (until the end), but several teenagers who skied or snowboarded past her intentionally dusted her, sending slush into her face and down her back.

Just before I reached her woman in her late 50's or early 60's stopped to lend her a hand. I didn't mind so much the people not stopping to help. If someone stopped to help every down skier he encountered he'd take all day to reach the bottom, but the kids that thought it was funny to dust a struggling, middle aged women? I bet their mothers are so proud of them.