Add to Waymarking gallery?

Help me understand and clarify, because this is a good question you have posted. I've been scanning My photo gallery, to try to figure this out since no one else has responded.

When I visit a waymark, the photos I upload are NOT included in MY photo gallery. Is this correct?

However, when I POST a waymark, those photos are included in MY photo gallery, and when someone else VISITS the waymarks I've posted, those photos are also included in MY photo gallery.

Maybe I am just missing something, but I am not finding photos that I uploaded to other people's waymarks in My gallery. Why is this? Do I understand correctly?

I never paid much attention the the gallery for exactly that reason. It seems that it is only a short cut to the pictures of my waymarks, not my pictures. And I am not aware of any direct upload possibility, either. Maybe I missed something, too, but I guess Max and 99 is right.

Well, there is no "My Gallery."

There is a single photo gallery for each individual waymark, and that's it.

So, when you add a photo to a waymark, one you have created or one created by someone else, it becomes part of the gallery for that individual waymark, and is not a part of any other photo gallery. There is no "photo stream," like there is in Flickr, for instance.

I WISH there was a way to access all of the photos I've ever uploaded as part of "My Gallery," but there is not.

One of the most frequently requested features, over the longest period of time, is the ability to upload photos ONCE and have them available for use in more than one waymark. I'm not sure why this feature cannot be implemented. Is it too technically challenging, to expensive in terms of development or resources, just not deemed important by Waymarking.com developers, or what? We've never received much feedback on the issue. It's still at the top of my list!

Another thing about this system - when visitors add photos to a waymark, they do indeed go into the single photo gallery for the waymark. That is good in many ways, but I also end up with waymarks that look as if I've taken some really crappy pictures for it. Of course, the new photos may be an improvement on mine, so maybe it balances out. One of the reasons I will post a visit to a waymark is because I think I have some good photos to add to the gallery.

There IS in fact a user gallery.

Go to your (or someone else's) profile page. In the top right box - labeled Profile Options - the third line says "view gallery". There you will find all pictures for this user's waymarks. It is not "my gallery" because it contains all pictures that were uploaded by visitors as well, but none of the pictures this user uploaded as a visitor of someone else's waymark.

Ah, okay, I stand corrected - sort of. If I go to my profile and click on "My Gallery" it is empty.

If I go to "My Waymarks" another box appears called "Category Options" and it has a single option "My Gallery" That does bring up a gallery of photos, in my case 28343 of them. But, they go back only as far as 12/18/2007 which means there are photos for some 1,500 waymarks before that date that are missing. I don't know if this gallery does include photos uploaded by others to my waymarks - too tedious to search through them all. I don't think photos I've uploaded to other waymarks are included, but that would be easier to check.

But, as far as I know, there is no way to add directly to this gallery. Photos can be added only to individual waymarks. And, these photos can't be added to the gallery of another individual waymark. They can, however, be inserted into the description area of a waymark, and I do this frequently when cross posting.

So, I'm not sure how useful this feature is, but it's nice to know it's there. Thanks! Gee, what else am I missing??

Edited by silverquill

So, when you add a photo to a waymark, one you have created or one created by someone else, it becomes part of the gallery for that individual waymark, and is not a part of any other photo gallery. There is no "photo stream," like there is in Flickr, for instance.

I WISH there was a way to access all of the photos I've ever uploaded as part of "My Gallery," but there is not.

One of the most frequently requested features, over the longest period of time, is the ability to upload photos ONCE and have them available for use in more than one waymark. I'm not sure why this feature cannot be implemented. Is it too technically challenging, to expensive in terms of development or resources, just not deemed important by Waymarking.com developers, or what? We've never received much feedback on the issue. It's still at the top of my list!

Another thing about this system - when visitors add photos to a waymark, they do indeed go into the single photo gallery for the waymark. That is good in many ways, but I also end up with waymarks that look as if I've taken some really crappy pictures for it. Of course, the new photos may be an improvement on mine, so maybe it balances out. One of the reasons I will post a visit to a waymark is because I think I have some good photos to add to the gallery.

OK SQ here is the work around that I used here recently....create waymark number 1. Then do the thing that you have been doing a lot of lately and I have done a couple too, imbed the photo into the waymark text using html. For the new waymark, number 2, post the required photos to the gallery and then, when using html, copy the string from your other waymark so those photos become part of the html waymark text....you can refer back to the photos in waymark 1, that way its a single load and you are still hitting the category requirements but you can add a few extras. blah blah blah....you get the idea.

KE

OK SQ here is the work around that I used here recently....create waymark number 1. Then do the thing that you have been doing a lot of lately and I have done a couple too, imbed the photo into the waymark text using html. For the new waymark, number 2, post the required photos to the gallery and then, when using html, copy the string from your other waymark so those photos become part of the html waymark text....you can refer back to the photos in waymark 1, that way its a single load and you are still hitting the category requirements but you can add a few extras. blah blah blah....you get the idea.

KE

You lost me at "OK SQ here is the work around"