I may be an idiot BUT

I'm looking to start a club in my local area. There's a broad based club in my area, but it's too long of a haul for me to get there regularly, and I'm tired of caching alone, and CITO alone blows. Lol.

Are there any elders out there that have any advice (other than 'don't do it') for getting a group up and going? I'm not looking for a million man march, but it'd be nice to organize the locals. From my cache list there are at least 20 of us, but how do we do it? Just flash mob McD's every month? Or set a charter and make it super formal?

I'm just looking for some basic advice from some of the experienced cahcers out there.

I'm looking to start a club in my local area. There's a broad based club in my area, but it's too long of a haul for me to get there regularly, and I'm tired of caching alone, and CITO alone blows. Lol.

Are there any elders out there that have any advice (other than 'don't do it') for getting a group up and going? I'm not looking for a million man march, but it'd be nice to organize the locals. From my cache list there are at least 20 of us, but how do we do it? Just flash mob McD's every month? Or set a charter and make it super formal?

I'm just looking for some basic advice from some of the experienced cahcers out there.

Perhaps you could reach out to those 20 folks via email and put out feelers about starting a local club.

Maybe you could start having regular Events, and a club could grow out of that activity?

Coffee and donuts once a month could get the ball rolling. :D

B.

Geocaching is becoming Balkinized everywhere. It started about the last time regular gas edged over the $4 mark and here we are again.

Houston had one big group for years and now there's a group for every point of the compass but really only one website which is a good thang.

My advise to you is to host several events close to home and see who shows up. Organize a club around those folks. If there is a local website use that. No sense in reinventing the wheel. Otherwise start a local forum. Proboards are free if you don't have a local forum.

Next, just because you go to all that trouble, it doesn't make you a leader of anything. I'd rather herd cat's than try lead geocachers. I mean, many of those folks don't even walk on perfectly good trails.... Get it? :anibad:

Next,once your regular events are going start to get other folks in the group to host on odd months. After about a year they become self sustaining unless you do it to death or try to charge dues. Once a month is good.

The faces will change quickly. If I miss 2 or 3 events in a row, I hardly know half the folks.

some people like this game solo, other like to play it a few or a larger group,

just see how many show up at events its a smash hit !

we are now quite a few here, organized with email and heytell for super fast live responce while we are on the road,

we team up spontaniously a few times pr week, the ones who want pop up and take a few or many together.

it is very easy to add new members to your crew, specially if you got skils or equipment or is just this really nice dude

that is plesant to hang out with.

so just go for it.. contact a few of the closest via email, see if they like to show up and make a little caching together,

you see how fast the group grow.

another thing is, all Danish CO and active players can get into one special list of phone numbers for SMS,

mostly used for help and hints. It works like this: you join the list to get access to the list,

then friendly people start to call you, if you alowed this in the list, or you could have written SMS only or what ever.

The list is made in many formats so it can be used on all kinds of GPS units and phones, so you have it with you always

and can search in it fast. You could also start something like this too.

From my cache list there are at least 20 of us, but how do we do it? Just flash mob McD's every month? Or set a charter and make it super formal?

I think hold a couple of small events and determine what the mood of the group is. For example, in our local area any talk of a formal geocaching organization usually leads to a lot of "discussion" around how a formal caching group will ruin everything, despite the fact it seems to work well in other places. :blink:

For now just host a meeting. See who shows up. See if they want to make it a monthly affair at points in the area.

I think this is the very simplest model. No need to get terribly formal. Such formal groups can easily have "falling outs" over trivial issues (I know)

I agree, just start hosting a monthly event. Keep it simple, that is, don't worry about door prizes or anything. After a few, if interest is good, you might take it farther.

Most important, keep it fun for as many as possible (including yourself :grin: )

For now just host a meeting. See who shows up. See if they want to make it a monthly affair at points in the area.

I think this is the very simplest model. No need to get terribly formal. Such formal groups can easily have "falling outs" over trivial issues (I know)

Several years ago a group of friends and I thought it would be a good idea to create a local kayaking club. Then it was pointed out that a "club" with a formal charter might be open to liability issues if a "club sponsored kayak trip" was held, and someone was injured while participating. The same issues could arise with a local Geocaching Club if it held club sponsored CITO events. If someone were injured while attending a "club" event and decided to sue the club, they might not be successful, but it might cost a pretty penny to hire a lawyer for a defense. Just something to think about.

Several years ago a group of friends and I thought it would be a good idea to create a local kayaking club. Then it was pointed out that a "club" with a formal charter might be open to liability issues if a "club sponsored kayak trip" was held, and someone was injured while participating. The same issues could arise with a local Geocaching Club if it held club sponsored CITO events. If someone were injured while attending a "club" event and decided to sue the club, they might not be successful, but it might cost a pretty penny to hire a lawyer for a defense. Just something to think about.

Possibly. The cache page disclaimer protects the website as a facilitator for cache listings. Don't make the mistake that the disclaimer protects you...."Cuz it doesn't.

Edited by Snoogans

North Texas tried to get formal back in 2002-2003 before TXGA came into being. I wasn't there but the meetings got heated. The very last meeting resulted in some chairs being thrown. :blink:<_<

There is no real leader in the Houston Geocaching Society. Groups meet at events semi-regularly and everything stays civil. We all keep in touch and make plans on HGCS.org and everyone is welcome at all events.

After 9 years TXGA has gone ultra formal with dues, an elected board, and everything. Some of my closest geocaching friends are involved and I wish them the best. I even mod the Safety Forum for TXGA, but I'm not interested in paying dues to gain voting rights and get a coin or whatever value added benefit they are offering. I just hope it doesn't implode.