iPad to GPS?

ljvet

Does anyone ever try to get their iPad connected to the GPS? Do you know if there is such a cord?

My iPad geo-application doesn't seem to do as good of a job tracking as my GPS - but sometimes I want to be spontaneous and grab a cache that I see along the route - that I haven't downloaded from my computer yet. Not to mention I'm getting more and more uncomfortable bringing my iPad into the woods with me.

I have a magelin exporist cg (I think).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Linda

As of right now, the short answer is no. The only way to get the coordinates from the iPad to a handheld unit is to manually enter them.

Yet, there is another thread that talked about jail breaking your iPad to do it but not sure if I would do that to my iPad. Just put iPad in the search bar and you'll get the posting.

Good luck.

Is there any tablet available that would allow downloading a cache directly to a handheld GPS as I can do from a laptop or PC. I have an Oregon 300 and would like to continue to use it. We geocache while camping and would like to add Caches to my Oregon while camping either from Wi Fi or tether it to my cell phone. :rolleyes:

Is there any tablet available that would allow downloading a cache directly to a handheld GPS as I can do from a laptop or PC. I have an Oregon 300 and would like to continue to use it. We geocache while camping and would like to add Caches to my Oregon while camping either from Wi Fi or tether it to my cell phone. :rolleyes:

Suggestion has been made on the Geosphere site inquiring about adding an output feature.

It is not an app issue. Apple never has nor ever will allow a file transfer process not involving itunes or app store. Their is jailbreak procedure involving the camera output that I have seen recommended if you want to void the warranty.

There are a couple of android tablets with full usb that will let you do it.I think Toshiba does

Edited by Walts Hunting

Airstash appears to be a small version of teh GoFlex Seagate system. On that sytem (which is a huge hard drive wifi to your iPad) it is restricted to video, picture, etc. Somehow the iOS interface doesn't allow other files to be moved. Worth taking a closer look at though.

Here is one of the reviews from Amazon that seems to fit your desire (it says you can't do it)

Simply put, this gadget and its app do only half the job an iPhone or iPad user needs done; but they do that half very well.

Easily, one can use an iPhone's/iPad's wireless networking to access files stored on an SD card that is inserted into the airstash. Great, I needed that. But how did the files get onto the SD card in the first place? Not from your iPhone/iPad!

I wanted the function of saving attachments, received via email on my iPhone and iPad onto the SD card.... This cannot be done. The airstash app is nothing more than an access tool for the wireless function of the device.

Edited by Walts Hunting

It is not an app issue. Apple never has nor ever will allow a file transfer process not involving itunes or app store. Their is jailbreak procedure involving the camera output that I have seen recommended if you want to void the warranty.

There are a couple of android tablets with full usb that will let you do it.I think Toshiba does

I have a Toshiba Thrive, and it does have a full size USB port. I can hook up my Oregon 450 exactly like I do on my computer and can accomplish most of the same things (transferring PQ's or uploading my field notes) except for the "Send to My GPS" on each cache page. That action requires the Garmin Communicator plugin for your browser, and there isn't an Android version of that.

On the other hand, I can hit the "GPX file" button, and the cache gets saved as a GPX file in the Downloads folder of the tablet, and I can then cut and paste that onto the Oregon from the file manager. It's the same effect as the Send to My GPS button, it just takes a little more time and effort. It's still far superior to entering all the coords in manually though, and gets you all the info for paperless caching.

Being able to interface with my Oregon was one of the major deciding factors of my purchase of the Thrive.