Minnesota State Park Wildlife Safari

ljvet

Without reading up on it too much, I went to my first state park yesterday. Using the coordinates from the website, I could not find the first cache. Is this correct? I figured the first one - in a wooded area in the middle of the parking lot, would be an easy find.

Thoughts?

PS: I was at Banning State Park.

Without reading up on it too much, I went to my first state park yesterday. Using the coordinates from the website, I could not find the first cache. Is this correct? I figured the first one - in a wooded area in the middle of the parking lot, would be an easy find.

Thoughts?

PS: I was at Banning State Park.

http://coord.info/GC1P4HQ ?

Looks pretty straight forward....

I'm confused- You say it is in the middle of a parking lot, but the other loggers mention a long hike. Maybe check your GPS.

It is a multicache - the first stage is in the wooded area.

Yes - there were two parking areas seperated with a wooded area in the middle. That's where my gps led me. I knew I was looking for the first stage - I just wondered if there was some puzzle or "process" to these wildlife ones that I was missing.

Perhaps the only thing I was missing was a "find". hmph! I'll have to go back!

It was a BEAUTIFUL day to be in the park. Seriously - when do you ever get an entire state park to yourself. We did not see or hear another single person! Despite not finding the cache, the hike was AWESOME!

There's probably something about starting there and looking for information in the parking area, which will lead to a next stage. Does the original poster have a GPSr with the full page description available on it?

I'm not sure what you mean about "full page description". I have a Magellan explorist GC. Its been pretty good for the most part. And I tried to read up on the cache online prior to going. Because I couldn't find it - I thought I might have missed a part of the process. Thanks!

I'm confused- You say it is in the middle of a parking lot, but the other loggers mention a long hike. Maybe check your GPS.

It is a multicache - the first stage is in the wooded area.

Yes - there were two parking areas seperated with a wooded area in the middle. That's where my gps led me. I knew I was looking for the first stage - I just wondered if there was some puzzle or "process" to these wildlife ones that I was missing.

Perhaps the only thing I was missing was a "find". hmph! I'll have to go back!

It was a BEAUTIFUL day to be in the park. Seriously - when do you ever get an entire state park to yourself. We did not see or hear another single person! Despite not finding the cache, the hike was AWESOME!

Based upon my own experience (and possibly the experience of hundreds of others) it may well turn out to be even more awesome for you when you finally complete it.

Best of luck!

Edited by DragonsWest

There's probably something about starting there and looking for information in the parking area, which will lead to a next stage. Does the original poster have a GPSr with the full page description available on it?

I'm not sure what you mean about "full page description". I have a Magellan explorist GC. Its been pretty good for the most part. And I tried to read up on the cache online prior to going. Because I couldn't find it - I thought I might have missed a part of the process. Thanks!

Hi, ljvet. I'm curious why you didn't just go to the park office and ask them about it. They would have been able to help you, I'm sure.

Hi, ljvet. I'm curious why you didn't just go to the park office and ask them about it. They would have been able to help you, I'm sure.

Well, I never even thought to do that. And, I don't think there was anyone there. I'm getting smarter - and I'm heading north again this weekend. Maybe I'll get that one and a couple more I'm hoping.

I think I was looking for a bigger container for the first stage. I should have been looking at small places - I have some ideas. :)

Most (if not all) of the state park caches are multi caches and this one certainly is. I haven't found this one, but I have seen some traditional style multis (each coordinate in a bison tube) and some are a field puzzle.

Yep, what he said. Stage #1 at Banning is a 8.5x11" stapled to the kiosk directing you to stage #2.

The lesser popular MN state parks, like Banning, usually don't have an open ranger office open this early in the season. If you can't find stage #1, PM me and I'll provide you with inside information. :ph34r:

Most (if not all) of the state park caches are multi caches and this one certainly is. I haven't found this one, but I have seen some traditional style multis (each coordinate in a bison tube) and some are a field puzzle.

Yep, what he said. Stage #1 at Banning is a 8.5x11" stapled to the kiosk directing you to stage #2.

Ggrrrr a person could be mad about that - or excited to try again next time! I will choose the latter. I briefly thought of looking at the kiosk, but I would have never thought it was out in the wide open. Every find is different - just when I think I got this thing...something changes. ;)

Thanks so much!

Ljvet

Ah... that's right. I haven't done Banning, but I did do another state park multi a couple of years back where the first stage was like that, and I will admit that it took me a while!

Ggrrrr a person could be mad about that - or excited to try again next time! I will choose the latter. I briefly thought of looking at the kiosk, but I would have never thought it was out in the wide open. Every find is different - just when I think I got this thing...something changes. ;)

Thanks so much!

Ljvet

I've only found one of the Safari caches (Jay Cooke) and WP1 was also on a kiosk next to the parking area, so that seems to be a theme as to how these caches are started.

As far as someone "spoiling" it for you, I wouldn't worry about that. These caches seem to be geared toward every level of cacher. The Jay Cooke cache, for example, had a field puzzle to solve for the next coordinates but if you couldn't solve the puzzle, you could always flip the page for a hint, if you still couldn't solve it, flip for another hint...still not solving it? Flip to the last page and the coordinates were there. So, you could solve the puzzle to get the next stage or just flip to the coordinates.