New/relatively cheap gps

surk66

And also if you're OK with Magellan after a couple years, there is a rather new model even cheaper than the Explorist GC, The Explorist 110, which I believe you can get for as little as $100 U.S. if you shop around. It is fully paperless capable, but being so new, I've been unable to tell EXACTLY how many caches it holds! I'm sure it's not 10,000 like the GC. It has 500 Mb available for caches, waypoints, etc.. per This web page

It is fully paperless capable, but being so new, I've been unable to tell EXACTLY how many caches it holds! I'm sure it's not 10,000 like the GC.

According to this obscure website ( :laughing: ), it only holds 500 caches. It also says 500 total waypoints, but it's unclear whether you can have 500 caches AND 500 waypoints at the same time.

Also something to keep in mind, according to another site the 110 is like the GC in that you can't add or update the maps.

The GC is a nice unit but I do not like that you cannot add or upgrade the maps.

I like the Garmin etrex 20 as a good paperless unit.

I've been wondering about that. So you can add maps to the etrex 20? I could even throw Topo's in that baby?

Yes - even free maps from gpsfiledepot.com

It is fully paperless capable, but being so new, I've been unable to tell EXACTLY how many caches it holds! I'm sure it's not 10,000 like the GC.

According to this obscure website ( :laughing: ), it only holds 500 caches. It also says 500 total waypoints, but it's unclear whether you can have 500 caches AND 500 waypoints at the same time.

Also something to keep in mind, according to another site the 110 is like the GC in that you can't add or update the maps.

Oh boy, good one. :lol: They must have literally just started selling that thing here a week or two ago. And it's out of stock?? Yes, I'm sure there's no way in heck that you can upload maps to it if you can't for the more expensive GC.

The GC is a nice unit but I do not like that you cannot add or upgrade the maps.

I've been wondering about that. So you can add maps to the etrex 20? I could even throw Topo's in that baby?

Yes - even free maps from gpsfiledepot.com

Highly cool, especially for a $200 unit. In Magellan's defense, they're just not being lame. The Explorist GC does retail for $150 vs. $200 for the Etrex 20, and you can upload maps to the $200 Explorist 310. Magellan just wants you to buy a more expensive unit.

You can always buy a Magellan eXplorist GC and for the firmware upgrade posted in the GPS section to upgrade it to a Magellan eXplorist 310, which will give you the ability to add new maps to it! That's what I may consider doing, as I'm in need of a GPS too.

You've got to be kidding me here. :P This really works? You know someone who has done this? Besides, if you're buying one brand new, it's only a $20 difference on Amazon.com

You can always buy a Magellan eXplorist GC and for the firmware upgrade posted in the GPS section to upgrade it to a Magellan eXplorist 310, which will give you the ability to add new maps to it! That's what I may consider doing, as I'm in need of a GPS too.

You've got to be kidding me here. :P This really works? You know someone who has done this? Besides, if you're buying one brand new, it's only a $20 difference on Amazon.com

According to some of the folks in the thread in the GPS section it does! I've never tried it though.

Edited by xShadow Shockx

According to some of the folks in the thread in the GPS section it does! I've never tried it though.

I will check that out. I just tend to answer newbie questions about it, and rarely look at that forum. If it really works, I could see for an existing user. But for a first time buyer, I'd just drop the extra 20 bucks at Amazon.com. :P

EDIT: on a quick look, I see one reference to "hacking it with 310 firmware", and it's actually in a thread I posted to, but the thread was moved there.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I was thinking the etrex 20 didn't have color but that is the etrex 10. You are correct the etrex 20 is a good unit, with enough options at a good price.

IMHO....

That is what makes it a cheap unit, which is what the OP is looking for.

Had they wanted an inexpensive unit, the 20 would have been a good suggestion.

I guess we can call $200 inexpensive, and $150 cheap. :anibad: Actually $180 vs. $130 on Amazon.com, but still 50 bucks. The Etrex 20 sounds pretty good. Too bad Garmin started that stupid website, or maybe they could have sold me one. I'm a lifelong Magellan/Delorme/or even Lowrance guy now. :huh:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

That would be a pretty good unit for a beginning geocacher. No need to spend more than $130 if you find you don't take to the game or are only interested in going out once in a while.