Limited Data Sheets - Printer - People Friendly

Dale_Lynn

Having printed several cache detail sheet, even using "printer friendly", I find that I get a minimum of two sheets printed, sometimes three or four....

Sad thing is sometimes the map graphic only prints half and other half is missing. Also I get a third sheet with just the bottom of the web page "standard links to click on". Dont know what good those are way out in the boondocks.

Not only is this a waste of paper but it is not "ecology" friendly. And who needs to carry multiple sheet of paper out into the wilds.

Could you have a "ecology" friendly printed page.

No fancy logo graphics or unneeded data...

Just cache name and co-ordinates, cache description, clues, and map graphic.

All tailored to fit on one page!... No more!

Thank you for your consideration on this!

Dale

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

-----------------------------------------------------

A couple of solutions are available with what's out there now.

First, you printer driver should be able to handle printing two pages per sheet. It subdivides the page and prints at 50% of the normal size. I usually print that way. Some people print at 4 pages per sheet, but that's too small of print for me to read in the field. You can also with your print dialog box select only to print pages 1-2. One sheet per cache. Pretty ecological.

That being said, I agree that unless the description is LONG, the map is in a wierd spot and gets split on the print. Try out Palmable Geocaching. It's not live but it might help out.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I do what Markwell said.

We print 4 pages per sheet on both sides. Also if you preview the print page you can have it only print one of the cache sheets. When you do this it leaves you a blank space or two for notes.

Instead of clicking print

click file

print

the print properties box

then the layout tab.

Choose 4 pages per page.

I also set the quality to 360 DPI / Black only

Hope that helps a bit.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

This must be an option on newer printers? I don't have anthing of the sort under my print options, my printer was one of the first photo inkjets, paid over $500 for it, but it's a dinosour now....

Anyway, for those that don't have the option, I'm certian there is software that will let you print multiple pages. Think I uesd to have one but can't seem to find it now icon_confused.gif

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

This must be an option on newer printers? I don't have anthing of the sort under my print options, my printer was one of the first photo inkjets, paid over $500 for it, but it's a dinosour now....

Anyway, for those that don't have the option, I'm certian there is software that will let you print multiple pages. Think I uesd to have one but can't seem to find it now icon_confused.gif

Ok....

I have HP 720C with latest drivers...

Yes I can "print preview"...

Yes I can avoid printing page I don't want...

Yes I can print one page at a time...

yes I can turn paper over to do other side....

No I can not print two pages on one side of paper (50 percent reduction or whatever)

It still wastes lots of ink!....

Why should I (and hundreds of others) spend hours doing this....

icon_smile.gif

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

Ok....

I have HP 720C with latest drivers...

Yes I can "print preview"...

Yes I can avoid printing page I don't want...

Yes I can print one page at a time...

yes I can turn paper over to do other side....

No I can not print two pages on one side of paper (50 percent reduction or whatever)

It still wastes lots of ink!....

Why should I (and hundreds of others) spend hours doing this....

icon_smile.gif

Dale

I have been using GeoClipping to import cache descriptions into my palm for a while now, but it can also be used to create a clean text only version of the cache page for printing. It gives all the information you need and the option to include the logs. The program copies the info into the clipboard, and you can then paste it into any word processing program. I still use printed cache pages when I am going somewhere I don't really want to bring my palm. icon_rolleyes.gif

You can read about and download the Geoclipping software at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geoclipping.htm

Here is a sample of what a clipped page looks like:

GC8218 Woodpecker

by Whidbey Walk

N 48 27.346 W 122 38.297 (WGS-84)

This is a normal-sized cache.

Clipped on 08-24-2002

State: Washington

Hidden on: 8/19/2002

Use Waypoint: GC8218

Difficulty: 2 Terrain: 2

This cache can be found after a pleasant walk through the Anacortes Community Forest Lands south of Heart Lake. The cache name was inspired by the several trees riddled with holes from woodpeckers along the trail. The easiest trailhead is located at N48 27.615 / W122 38.114. There is only parking for one vehicle, but it is seldom taken.

Additional hints can be decrypted below.

You can decrypt the hint with the chart, or you can cheat.

Qba'g orng gur oehfu ybbxvat sbe guvf pnpur.

Decryption Key:

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Content �© 2000-2002 Groundspeak. GeoClipper �© 2002 by rschoolf.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I have been using GeoClipping to import cache descriptions into my palm for a while now, but it can also be used to create a clean text only version of the cache page for printing. It gives all the information you need and the option to include the logs. The program copies the info into the clipboard, and you can then paste it into any word processing program. I still use printed cache pages when I am going somewhere I don't really want to bring my palm. icon_rolleyes.gif

You can read about and download the Geoclipping software at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rschoolf/geoclipping.htm

Here is a sample of what a clipped page looks like:

GC8218 Woodpecker

by Whidbey Walk

N 48 27.346 W 122 38.297 (WGS-84)

This is a normal-sized cache.

Clipped on 08-24-2002

State: Washington

Hidden on: 8/19/2002

Use Waypoint: GC8218

Difficulty: 2 Terrain: 2

This cache can be found after a pleasant walk through the Anacortes Community Forest Lands south of Heart Lake. The cache name was inspired by the several trees riddled with holes from woodpeckers along the trail. The easiest trailhead is located at N48 27.615 / W122 38.114. There is only parking for one vehicle, but it is seldom taken.

Additional hints can be decrypted below.

You can decrypt the hint with the chart, or you can cheat.

Qba'g orng gur oehfu ybbxvat sbe guvf pnpur.

Decryption Key:

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M

-------------------------

N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below,

and vice versa)

Content �© 2000-2002 Groundspeak. GeoClipper �© 2002 by rschoolf.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

i usualy right click the mouse and highlight the important info(usualy down to the cheated hint)then with it highlighted right click it gives you the option to print then when then menu for print comes up click on selected text.That will just print the highlighted text.usualy on one page.Unless it has a long description.i then flip the paper over and print another cache on the other side.Hope this helps.

Megansdad. icon_razz.gif

SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL.

i usualy right click the mouse and highlight the important info(usualy down to the cheated hint)then with it highlighted right click it gives you the option to print then when then menu for print comes up click on selected text.That will just print the highlighted text.usualy on one page.Unless it has a long description.i then flip the paper over and print another cache on the other side.Hope this helps.

Megansdad. icon_razz.gif

SEE YOU ON THE TRAIL.

I've been using a shareware product called FinePrint to print multiple pages per sheet for a few years now. My newest printer has the ability built-in, but I still use FinePrint because the interface is better. Other great features are the ability to rearrange pages, and an automatic preview.

Just another happy customer...

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

ACK!!!!..... Geoclippings uses IE...... Which I dislike...

So I bring up IE, select cache from list...

Run GEOCLIPPING.....

Paste to Word.... PRINT....

Turn paper over and put back in printer paper tray....

Go back into IE...

Select 'print image'.... (puts map on back of paper)...

It gets me basically what I want......

Now how can we make it easy....

Dale

Dale

[This message was edited by Dale_Lynn on August 24, 2002 at 03:10 PM.]

After much playing I think "megansdad" and "HJC" have the easiest solutions.... And its easy enough to flip page and print graphic form web on back....

Dale

I have also wished that there was a simple web-based solution to having it print exactly how I want.

Of the other solutions, I think that I like the 'two per page' solution best. It also occurred to me that for those people with older printers (I will never give up my trusty HP4L), you may be able to download new drivers that allow you to print twopers.

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

I have also wished that there was a simple web-based solution to having it print exactly how I want.

Ask, and ye shall receive. If you're using IE, just download my Cache Simplifier, unzip it in your Windows directory, double-click the .reg file to install it, and then use the new button on your IE toolbar to strip the graphics, frames, and colors from the cache description pages before printing.

If that's not exactly how you want it, just edit the VBScript until it is.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Ask, and ye shall receive.

Hey, that's pretty cool! Good job!

If you really want to save paper, all you have to activate it twice! icon_biggrin.gif (ya, I know - if I don't like it I can edit it)

quote:

Hey, that's pretty cool! Good job!

If you really want to save paper, all you have to activate it twice! icon_biggrin.gif (ya, I know - if I don't like it I can edit it)

quote:

Now thats what I call customer serviceicon_smile.gif-

I used this last weekend to print out some caches for my visitors to find, it worked great. No fuss, no muss, and look..I can even read the code.

Thanks for the useful tool.

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:

Now thats what I call customer service:)-

I used this last weekend to print out some caches for my visitors to find, it worked great. No fuss, no muss, and look..I can even read the code.

Thanks for the useful tool.

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

After much playing I think "megansdad" and "HJC" have the easiest solutions.... And its easy enough to flip page and print graphic form web on back....

I agree with above, but do it slightly different.

I highlight and print text like above, but while its printing I click on the map, once it loads up in Mapquest, I zoom to the level I require for recognition of the hunt area, select send to printer, by then text is printed on sheet, I reinsert same sheet upside down so as to print at bottom of text, and then print the map.

One side of paper now contains the text description then rotate the sheet to read/view the map of cache. Map prints a little over the text sometimes but text & map are both still very readable (even in low light for those evening hunts). Repeat on other side of sheet and you get two caches per sheet with all the info you need. icon_eek.gif

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by Dale_Lynn:

I agree with above, but do it slightly different.

I highlight and print text like above, but while its printing I click on the map, once it loads up in Mapquest, I zoom to the level I require for recognition of the hunt area, select send to printer, by then text is printed on sheet, I reinsert same sheet upside down so as to print at bottom of text, and then print the map.

One side of paper now contains the text description then rotate the sheet to read/view the map of cache. Map prints a little over the text sometimes but text & map are both still very readable (even in low light for those evening hunts). Repeat on other side of sheet and you get two caches per sheet with all the info you need. icon_eek.gif

GPS's...A step in the right direction!

quote:
Originally posted by PDOP's:

Will the Cache Simplifier work for Netscape?

Nope. It installs itself as an extension to Internet Explorer (that's what's in the .reg file.) If a similar mechanism exists in Netscape, you could probably install it there, but I don't know whether you'd have to rewrite the VBScript in JavaScript or make other changes.

warm.gif

Nice work, Geocaching.com gurus! icon_smile.gif

The new print-friendly format is very nice, and the regular format is more readable too, it seems like.

I kind of miss the find counts, but I appreciate the extra database-slamming it takes to display that data and keep it current. If this new format means the site can handle the load better, then by all means... icon_smile.gif

Nice work, Geocaching.com gurus! icon_smile.gif

The new print-friendly format is very nice, and the regular format is more readable too, it seems like.

I kind of miss the find counts, but I appreciate the extra database-slamming it takes to display that data and keep it current. If this new format means the site can handle the load better, then by all means... icon_smile.gif