pylons

gramleo

Heard on the news recently that a hot air balloon crashed into a pylon. They were hanging there 5 hours before they got rescued. :yikes:

Maybe if there'd been a cache at the bottom of it, a cacher would have been on to the emergency services for them and they'd have been rescued a lot quicker. :laughing:

And did many realise that non-physical stages of caches have proximity rules?

I didn't until I fell foul of the rule, they must be at least 50ft apart.

Not seen this documented anywhere.

A public apology

My memory of this instance was incorrect in that this rule does not apply to physical stages, but to page (starting) coordinates only so an apology for misleading everyone on this, and a big apology to the reviewer involved for misrepresenting the incident. This is the explanation I received:

with regard to my other point that two caches share common 'page' coordinates (not virtual waypoints). There is no 'rule' that disallows this , but for the sake of clarity and as a courtesy to prospective finders of your caches, I repeat what I wrote in the log....

"The problem is you have used the same coordinates for this cache as for your other cache GC***** (within a few feet). Now this presents a problem. Both caches will appear on a GPS screen/map on top of each other and be difficult to select. In this instance they will need to be at least 50 feet apart."

That said, I did fall foul of an unwritten rule that bans something that IS relatively common practice with child waypoints, ie placing child waypoints in the same location as page coordinates, thus hiding them on a map.

Edited by Mad H@ter

Heard on the news recently that a hot air balloon crashed into a pylon. They were hanging there 5 hours before they got rescued. :yikes:

Rescued by our fine Northants Fire Service - several of whom are also cachers... ;)

3415041154.jpg

Northants fireman filmed in action while placing new Pylon cache (Large, 5* terrain).

Anyone want to extend this new "Pylon Paranoia" series? :D

Rescued by our fine Northants Fire Service - several of whom are also cachers... ;)

3415041154.jpg

Northants fireman filmed in action while placing new Pylon cache (Large, 5* terrain).

Anyone want to extend this new "Pylon Paranoia" series? :D

:blink::laughing:

this rule does not apply to physical stages, but to page (starting) coordinates only

Ah yes, that rule I have heard about, and it's completely pointless. I was once asked to move coords to the other end of the car park, meaning that the coords were then useless for navigation. I declined and instead made the main coords that of the first stage of the multi, which is what they should have been in the first place <_< (another rule which is often ignored).

That said, I did fall foul of an unwritten rule that bans something that IS relatively common practice with child waypoints, ie placing child waypoints in the same location as page coordinates, thus hiding them on a map.

That used to be the case but is no longer. When additional waypoints were introduced on Groundspeak the system required that there be at least 0.001' difference between the main coords and the waypoint. After a while, and user representation, Groundspeak realised this was daft because it resulted in twice as much data for identical points and the restriction was removed.

Caches are so close together these days that most caches/waypoints will hide one or more other caches/waypoints. The solution is to zoom in <_<.