Event Cache?

TrailsEndTom

A group of outdoor organizations are having their 2nd annual outdoor youth expo this June. This expo is for kids of all ages and the event had over 229 kids attend last year. They got to fish for trout, shoot a bow and arrow, build a bluebird house, shoot a BB gun, learn to tie flies, and many other activities. It is a free event. The kids even get free food. I would like to have a booth to introduce kids(and their parents) to Geocaching. I want to list it as an event cache to try to get some local Geocachers to help. My question is it appropriate to list it as an Event Cache? Thanks.

You could try contacting your local reviewer to see what they say, but according to the guidelines, I don't think they would publish it:

While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

It sounds like the bolded portion would apply to the Youth Expo. You could still have your booth and introduce people to geocaching, but I don't think TPTB will list it as a geocaching event.

You could try contacting your local reviewer to see what they say, but according to the guidelines, I don't think they would publish it:

While a music concert, a garage sale, an organized sporting event, a ham radio field day or a town's fireworks display might be of interest to a large percentage of geocachers, such events are not suitable for submission as event caches because the organizers and the primary attendees are not geocachers.

It sounds like the bolded portion would apply to the Youth Expo. You could still have your booth and introduce people to geocaching, but I don't think TPTB will list it as a geocaching event.

This. Although I love the idea and think you should set up the booth anyway. Why not a breakfast event at the booth before the event starts? That way, it's outside the event hours, but still related and you get breakfast out of the deal :grin:

So it sound like I could list a meeting(get together) a month or so before the Expo as an Event Cache to talk over ideas for the Geocaching booth at the youth expo. Would this be OK?

It should be, but if that is the only focus of the event be prepared if it doesn't garner much interest. It might be a better idea to talk up the booth in the local forums then on the morning of the expo have a breakfast event afterwhich those interested can go to the expo to man the booth.

So it sound like I could list a meeting(get together) a month or so before the Expo as an Event Cache to talk over ideas for the Geocaching booth at the youth expo. Would this be OK?

It should be, but if that is the only focus of the event be prepared if it doesn't garner much interest. It might be a better idea to talk up the booth in the local forums then on the morning of the expo have a breakfast event afterwhich those interested can go to the expo to man the booth.

Hey, that was my idea :ph34r: