Magellan Explorist GC

I have a friend who I have recently shared my addiction with caching. He has asked my help in finding a good GPSr to purchase. I don't believe he wishes to spend too much. I have only ever used my iPhone and Oregon 450. I have never used or seen a MAgellan in action. I noticed a Magellan on sale for 130$

My link

It appears too good to be true? Seems even better than my 450?!? What is its limitations? How are the maps? Can you add custom maps?

ANy help is appreciated.

Nice unit and fairly accurate. The included street maps a very complete. However, you cannot add any maps to the unit.

Some folks find the unit to be lacking in overall features but good for Geocaching.

Personally, I would recommend the Garmin eTrex 20 as a best unit for a new cacher.

Nice unit and fairly accurate. The included street maps a very complete. However, you cannot add any maps to the unit.

Some folks find the unit to be lacking in overall features but good for Geocaching.

Personally, I would recommend the Garmin eTrex 20 as a best unit for a new cacher.

Thanx I will look into that one. Does it provide paperless caching?

Yes - It is one of 10 different units that I own and quickly becoming a favorite.

I have the GC and an Oregon 450 and for the price the GC is a very good unit. It has paperless caching, comes with a very good map and is easy to use except the joy stick can sometimes be a pain. Also just found out that if you turn the smart arrow off and use the standard arrow it seems more accurate when you get close to the cache.

I have the GC and an Oregon 450 and for the price the GC is a very good unit. It has paperless caching, comes with a very good map and is easy to use except the joy stick can sometimes be a pain. Also just found out that if you turn the smart arrow off and use the standard arrow it seems more accurate when you get close to the cache.

Thanx, do you find the lack of an electronic compass is a big drawback? Compared to the 450

Thanx, do you find the lack of an electronic compass is a big drawback? Compared to the 450

No because we usually use both gpsr at the same time. I use one and my wife uses the other but we have learned to keep walking and get a fix, usually at right angles to the cash then change direction and walk straight in if possible. It is not as nice as the 450 but like I say for the price it is very good and a good unit to start with. I have also seen on some forums that there is a way to convert this unit over to a 310.

I have a friend who I have recently shared my addiction with caching. He has asked my help in finding a good GPSr to purchase. I don't believe he wishes to spend too much. I have only ever used my iPhone and Oregon 450. I have never used or seen a MAgellan in action. I noticed a Magellan on sale for 130$

My link

It appears too good to be true? Seems even better than my 450?!? What is its limitations? How are the maps? Can you add custom maps?

ANy help is appreciated.

I have been caching with the GC since shortly after it was released. It is fairly accurate and works well for paperless caching.

Just a few drawbacks which I will note for information sake, but very pleased with the device and is a great value for the featuers:

It can be difficult if you want to keep notes on it because of the joystick. Mostly just jot a couple of words or two to remind myself of what I want to say about the find.

Also find the lack of true compass irritating at times, but usually have an actual compass on me to make up for the deficiency.

Finally, as mentioned, the smart compass used to cause considerable problems when the unit was released, but has gotten much better since the 1.5 update was released (believe it's up to version 1.7 now)... Absolutely vital that you update to the latest software release if purchased.

Good luck and happy caching!

My link

ANy help is appreciated.

I have been caching with the GC since shortly after it was released. It is fairly accurate and works well for paperless caching.

Just a few drawbacks which I will note for information sake, but very pleased with the device and is a great value for the featuers:

It can be difficult if you want to keep notes on it because of the joystick. Mostly just jot a couple of words or two to remind myself of what I want to say about the find.

Also find the lack of true compass irritating at times, but usually have an actual compass on me to make up for the deficiency.

Finally, as mentioned, the smart compass used to cause considerable problems when the unit was released, but has gotten much better since the 1.5 update was released (believe it's up to version 1.7 now)... Absolutely vital that you update to the latest software release if purchased.

Good luck and happy caching!

Also keep in mind that for a few more dollars you can pick up the eX310 ($149 on Amazone) and it doesn't have the circluar menu, but a more standard grid which is easier with the joystick. It will also allow you to purchase high end 24K topo maps and add limited satellite maps to the unit. As far as the hardware it is the same at the GC; however, more functionality allow tracks and routes and more of the standard GPS functions. As far as the electric compass goes - I have at least 6 GPSrs in my caching bag, some have the active electronic compass and some don't and I actually started with a unit that didn't have the compass and once you learn to keep moving with a unit that doesn't have the compass - it really isn't an issue. To be honest, at times when I'm in a spot where the electronic compass is jumping around I almost prefer not having it.

David

I bought the GC last year and I really like it. I was really impressed with the preloaded maps. I'd recommend this unit to anyone looking for an entry level gps for geocaching. I will add to David's comments, the new eXplorist 110 is only $119 ($10 less than the GC) and it has a few more functions that the GC lacks. I'm actually looking at that one for my wife (as well as the 310) but haven't decided which one to go with. That said, I would definately feel confident to add another GC, too.

Joel

I am thinking about buying a Magellan (Maybe the eXplorist 510).

I Have a Garmin Dakota 10 and it is easy to find free routable maps on the web.

1 - Can we also find and add free routable maps for the Magellan?

what kinds of maps (files) it supports.

Thks for your help

I am thinking about buying a Magellan (Maybe the eXplorist 510).

I Have a Garmin Dakota 10 and it is easy to find free routable maps on the web.

1 - Can we also find and add free routable maps for the Magellan?

what kinds of maps (files) it supports.

Thks for your help

If you are speaking of Road Routable maps I'm unaware of any free maps that are openly available these units; however, I could be mistaken - because I have the eX710 which comes with the routable maps already on it so I haven't done a lot of looking for other maps to do this since most of what I do is done off road. However, if you'd like to pop over the http://www.exploristforum.com I'm sure one of the guys there can head you in the right direction, because there are guys there that maps all kinds of custom maps for these units. If you're looking for TOPO, satellite or other images maps there are a number of free resources available and free software to map your own. The eX10 series of units, excluding the GC & 110 all support Magellan's IMI and RMP maps; however, there are ways to convert over types of maps to work on these units and again you can find the information on the explorist forum.

David

Magellan Insider

I've got the GC myself, and it's nice for capacity, but sluggish (Ala Windows-CE) and rampant (the compass swings wildly, because it's strictly relying on the GPS, without a true electronic compass.) As many have probably already told you, the GC is the bottom line starter for paperless caching. Don't get me wrong, It does have its days of accuracy, but sometimes, It'll be off by 30-60 feet, and then the Windows-CE OS begins bogging it down. (especially if you have more than 3000 caches in the hopper. I highly advise against going for the full 5000 capacity, or you'll be growing grey hairs before it finishes checking the integrity of the .GPX files. Oh, and Waypoint (child) .gpx is separate from Cache .GPX.)

I've actually gone a tandem.. the GC for the profile storage, but a Garmin eTrex Vista-HCX as the main finder, that won't get muddled by the Win-CE lag. Drawback, is you're still operating two GPSr's.. One with all the data, the other with the accuracy & speed.