Geocaching.com Announcements

southdeltan

I think it would be a good idea if any announcements posted on the announcement board were also sent in the weekly Geocaching Email bot (the proper name eludes me a the moment) that people sign up for. I know a lot of people that don't read the forums and have no clue what goes on here.

I've noticed that the announcements aren't that regular either, and some of the merchandise announcements are in the General Board - should they be in the other board or are they unrelated? Of course, I've noticed that there is often a lack of announcements in general, but there is likely a reason for this.

Of course, there may already be an email that I'm not getting - so please don't flame me if I've missed something icon_frown.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I think it would be a good idea if any announcements posted on the announcement board were also sent in the weekly Geocaching Email bot (the proper name eludes me a the moment) that people sign up for. I know a lot of people that don't read the forums and have no clue what goes on here.

I've noticed that the announcements aren't that regular either, and some of the merchandise announcements are in the General Board - should they be in the other board or are they unrelated? Of course, I've noticed that there is often a lack of announcements in general, but there is likely a reason for this.

Of course, there may already be an email that I'm not getting - so please don't flame me if I've missed something icon_frown.gif

southdeltan

Good idea.

If you become a paid member, though it is easy to setup the MyPopit for posts to the Announcement forum.

Kenneth

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

Good idea.

If you become a paid member, though it is easy to setup the MyPopit for posts to the Announcement forum.

Kenneth

This may be true, but a lot of people are not paying members. Although I have no evidence, I'd bet there are more non-paying members than paying members. That really doesn't matter because there are lots of people who geocache and aren't paying members and have no desire to read forums ever.

It'd still be useful for those people to get information from the Geocaching admin. Admittedly, we don't have many geocachers in my state - but quite a few have been caught off guard and confused by some things that have happened lately. (New search pages, new profiles, crackdowns on virtuals, etc).

It'd just be nice if the email that anybody can get also contained a bit of useful 'news' besides the new caches.

southdeltan

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

quote:
Originally posted by kennethpruett:

Good idea.

Kenneth

This may be true, but a lot of people are not paying members. Although I have no evidence, I'd bet there are more non-paying members than paying members. That really doesn't matter because there are lots of people who geocache and aren't paying members and have no desire to read forums ever.

It'd still be useful for those people to get information from the Geocaching admin. Admittedly, we don't have many geocachers in my state - but quite a few have been caught off guard and confused by some things that have happened lately. (New search pages, new profiles, crackdowns on virtuals, etc).

It'd just be nice if the email that anybody can get also contained a bit of useful 'news' besides the new caches.

southdeltan

It would be nice, but it would require more interaction by the admins to enter the info into the weekly notifications. My guess is right now, the weekly notifications are automatically generated by a script and requires no interaction by them.

More interaction by them means more resources, hense paying members pay for more resources.

If the cacher does not pay, they can still access almost all the same information (except member caches), it is just they have to put the resources into it themselves.

If they don't want to be caught off guard, they should just pay the $30/year (only $2.50/month).

Regarding desire to read the forums, personally I find about 98% or more of the posts to the boards to be worthless to me.

I don't even MyPopIt the General Board.

I just get the Annoucements, Geocaching.com (still about 50% worthless to me), and the Southeast. I also watch for posts by Jeremy Admin, Elias, and Hydee. Then if something "hot" is going on, I know about it by their posts/replies.

I do understand your suggestion, but the bottom line is, people who really want the proactive information should pay.

Kenneth